aberdeen-music

how young were you when...

pete_inthehills

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman
14, Illuminatus, Perverse and Ruptured Rubber at the Spanish Ambassador's Residence, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

Ok I have no idea who these bands are or if it's a joke but the venue alone would elevate this to first place.

A late bloomer too. If my memory serves me right I was 16/17 when I attended my first proper gig, i.e. a signed, touring band. It was either Mogwai, supported by the Yummi Fur, at the Lemon Tree or maybe Snow Patrol at Drummonds (in front of about 20 people, for free on a Sunday night so I don't know if it counts! the singer mooned the crowd that nighto_O ).

Shortly after that was Fugazi at the Lemon Tree which remains my favourite gig ever despite going gig-crazy since. :rockon: I think I've always been searching for the same buzz I got that night. I've come close but not quite hit it.

"Hello Aberdeen, we're Fugazi from Washington D.C."

:band:

my jaw drops open.

Guest Neubeatz

Age 11, venue, music hall, band, Hawkwind,

or;

Age 11, venue, music hall, band, David Bowie.

one or the other, depending on which braincell responds..... the age was deffo 11

12: Iron Maiden & Wolfsbane @ Aberdeen Capital "No Prayer for the Dying" Tour 1990

I've loved Maiden since I got a copy of "Number of the Beast" when I was 7. Finally going to see them in December! I think the exposure to that at such an early age saved me from falling into the pop band thing that Pete in the hills mentioned. Of the stuff my Dad used to play I always liked the heavier sounding stuff like Thin Lizzy and erm....Status Quo.

Guest bluesxman
Terrorvision at the Music Hall, when I was 16. Remember getting refused admission for the aftershow at the Palace afterwards....I've never gotten over that ;(

I found my signed ticket from that show the other week! The singer was impressively pished at The Palace and I spoke to Shutty the drummer whilst having a piss. Bad etiquette on my part but then I was also pished. He did some amusing dance floor moves later as well.

It warms the cockles of my heart to see folk having such good taste at such an early age.

Where are the westlife gigs? Chris De burgh? Johnny hates Jazz?

there must be some embarrassing gigs hidden in your closets.

pete

inthehills

When I was at primary school most of the girls in my class went to see All Saints but I wasn't allowed :up:

Ok I have no idea who these bands are or if it's a joke but the venue alone would elevate this to first place.
The bands were all from Abu Dhabi, Illuminatus are now based in nottingham(www.illuminatus.biz)

The reason for the venue was there were no venues for bands like us in Abu Dhabi, so we asked our friend, Juan Pombo, whose dad was the Spanish Ambassador to the UAE, if we could have a gig in his house, which had a big garden and a pool. We even got a concrete stage built, and set all the sound system and equipment up ourselves. We did this 2 years running, known as Pombo fest. It was ace.

Oh, and I forgot about the fourth band, which was DGH (Dolphin's Giving Head).

I found my signed ticket from that show the other week! The singer was impressively pished at The Palace and I spoke to Shutty the drummer whilst having a piss. Bad etiquette on my part but then I was also pished. He did some amusing dance floor moves later as well.

Yes, I later heard they were in attendance....seems that most people I know went to that very gig and subsequent aftershow. The swines:swearing:

BTW well done on the urinal banter though....quality:up:

Guest idol_wild
Mogwai, supported by the Yummi Fur, at the Lemon Tree

I was there too, but it was my third gig. My first was when I was 17. Radiohead, playing during their OK Computer tour at the AECC, 1997. I went on my own.

Then I saw Idlewild play their first ever Aberdeen gig, supporting the Warm Jets at Kef :up: