aberdeen-music

how young were you when...

pete_inthehills

Guest bluesxman
The bands were all from Abu Dhabi, Illuminatus are now based in nottingham(www.illuminatus.biz)

The reason for the venue was there were no venues for bands like us in Abu Dhabi, so we asked our friend, Juan Pombo, whose dad was the Spanish Ambassador to the UAE, if we could have a gig in his house, which had a big garden and a pool. We even got a concrete stage built, and set all the sound system and equipment up ourselves. We did this 2 years running, known as Pombo fest. It was ace.

Oh, and I forgot about the fourth band, which was DGH (Dolphin's Giving Head).

Superb....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman
BTW well done on the urinal banter though....quality:up:

I think I asked him why he had dyed his hair blue, he didn't look too impressed. Or possibly just struggled to understand a slurring Scot.

I was there too, but it was my third gig. My first was when I was 17. Radiohead, playing during their OK Computer tour at the AECC, 1997. I went on my own.

Then I saw Idlewild play their first ever Aberdeen gig, supporting the Warm Jets at Kef :up:

Was that '98? I saw them at Kef (Glow 303 at that point?) around Sept/Oct in 98 but can't remember seeing The Warm Jets. I had that song "Self Healer" on a Kerrang compilation and thought it was the bees knees but didn't know the rest of their stuff. Maybe a different gig? It was pretty good anyway and totally rammed. I never wore a woolly jumper to a gig ever again. Live and learn.

I think I was 14 when I saw the Stereophonics in the Music hall, right up against the front barrier onfront of the stage about 2m away from one of the PA stacks

Turin Brakes still get the vote as the most boring live band, hell the first band I ever saw and I was bored with them (the phonics rocked though)

It warms the cockles of my heart to see folk having such good taste at such an early age.

Where are the westlife gigs? Chris De burgh? Johnny hates Jazz?

there must be some embarrassing gigs hidden in your closets.

pete

inthehills

The worst I think would have to be Meatloaf at the SECC, I wouldn't call that embarrasing though, as I still wear the tshirt :D

David