aberdeen-music

please restore my faith

stuartmaxwell

Guest Mr Blastcap

BANG! thread face down on beach, blood and seagulls,

some of the crack head buskers around Aberdeen far outstrip a lot of the bands doing the venue circuit...i heard a wonderfull version of an old Orwell song played on Union Street on saturday. so hey, things are looking up.

I also do fluent foul

Why do you talk like somebody out of The Broons?

I come fae Banff, and abody spiks like this there, apart fae the minister, but he's english so he disnae coont, ye should hear my relatives fae Foggie Loan, even I struggle wi their dialect, an I must agree with the busking, I have din it wi Dod the piper - he's the guy wi the braces and flashing things jist roon the corner fae Drummonds, and it's a hoot and ye dinna hiv tae mak posters and flyers, och aye it's braw.

Don't you think you should give us examples of 'good music' then stripey? That is different from all this current stuff coming out of aberdeen.

You've been asked already a few posts up, so it would be nice to have some stuff for people to listen to and see what viewpoint you are coming from.

Always good to listen to something new.

I'm still waiting for Stripey to answer this...

Well the original post was about there being a lack of decent bands in aberdeen, no?

My response was along the lines of "I'm accusing them of not having the balls or the intelligence to even attempt anything fresh. Most of the trash churned out by the ten a penny bands in aberdeen sounds so dated and corny it's not even funny in an ironic sense, it's just pathetic." On-topic, no?

It's really unfortunate that any suggestion that there is anything wrong with the so-called "scene" up here is always met with personal attacks instead of any kind of genuine introspection. "LOL U USE A SAMPLER!". "U ONLY LISTEN TO MUSIC MADE ON A COMPUTER LOLZ!". What a load of ignorant crap.

Criticising that ignorance by a similar sort of snobishness does you no favours, and the endorsement of something purely on the basis that it isn't something else seems a rather negative way of seeing things. As I understand it, you do seem to mainly listen to music made by computers, samplers, etc. There is nothing wrong with this. But to go and criticise others purely because they don't listen to that music just seems incredibly narrow-minded which, ironically, is your criticism of other peoples tastes. I know people that only listen to drum and bass. Now, drum and bass is great, I have nothing against it, but to endorse those individuals over someone who, say, only listens to music from 1900 to 1970 purely because the former has been created with more advanced technologies at a later time just seems really silly.

Guest Mr Blastcap

didn't Mr Stripey put out a 12" or something recently?, thats pretty admirable-shows a bit of up and at them spirit. somedays i hate this thread , then the next i think its the best thing since sliced bread, all this disagreement is massively healthy though.......i still think theres too much pub rock in Aberdeen tho'.

oh a feel a bit sick, oh no....all this reading is making my evil twin appear...its jist like that big word bundle i read by stevie King......ohhhhhh crikey old hossssss,,,,,,,,,,,

Criticising that ignorance by a similar sort of snobishness does you no favours, and the endorsement of something purely on the basis that it isn't something else seems a rather negative way of seeing things. As I understand it, you do seem to mainly listen to music made by computers, samplers, etc. There is nothing wrong with this. But to go and criticise others purely because they don't listen to that music just seems incredibly narrow-minded which, ironically, is your criticism of other peoples tastes. I know people that only listen to drum and bass. Now, drum and bass is great, I have nothing against it, but to endorse those individuals over someone who, say, only listens to music from 1900 to 1970 purely because the former has been created with more advanced technologies at a later time just seems really silly.

Yes, what an absurd notion, one that I certainly don't subscribe to.

I listen to all sorts of music from all sorts of points in time, I love music. What you morons seem to have missed in your eagerness to personally attack me, is that I've never suggested that everyone *must listen* to music made with modern technology.

We are talking about the people MAKING music here, no? If I want to listen to music from the 60's or 70's or 80's or whatever, I'll listen to music that was made during that period by people who were genuinely creating that music for real, first time round - not some naive, shambolic imitation performed by spotty students in some crappy bar in aberdeen so they can get their kicks and impress their mates.

Understand?

Guest Mr Blastcap
didn't Mr Stripey put out a 12" or something recently?, thats pretty admirable-shows a bit of up and at them spirit. somedays i hate this thread , then the next i think its the best thing since sliced bread, all this disagreement is massively healthy though.......i still think theres too much pub rock in Aberdeen tho'.

OY U FUKKEN TWIT YER BANDS SHIT! i have thirty years experience in the music beeswax including writing the "come to frasers of ellon" jingle that is on Northsound, and your endless comments on here are damaging the credibility of aberdeens chances of becoming bigger than the Buckie mince hurling contest. Hard working band members such a s Biz ( drums and CAPS LOCK) and Jim ( the enthusiastic hindu) are bashing thereses guts out typing replys day and night but getting no where....please fakk off and all. that. Mr Blastcap you are a grade a Cunt...i know where you live as well, i'm going to come into your house at night and sing acapella versions of my minds weapon songs at you in GAILIC..

so there,

lets leave it at that you dick

http://www.myspace.com/sidca

OY U FUKKEN TWIT YER BANDS SHIT! i have thirty years experience in the music beeswax including writing the "come to frasers of ellon" jingle that is on Northsound, and your endless comments on here are damaging the credibility of aberdeens chances of becoming bigger than the Buckie mince hurling contest. Hard working band members such a s Biz ( drums and CAPS LOCK) and Jim ( the enthusiastic hindu) are bashing thereses guts out typing replys day and night but getting no where....please fakk off and all. that. Mr Blastcap you are a grade a Cunt...i know where you live as well, i'm going to come into your house at night and sing acapella versions of my minds weapon songs at you in GAILIC..

so there,

um.......?

Guest Mr Blastcap

so there,

well, look your band is crap as well, anyhow you're probably just jealous..its not my fault you cant tune a guitar! LOL get over it dude! writing jingles for local radio is piss poor, i wrote the whooshing noises that are in the backround in the dvd piracy trailer thing- and that was made in America, yeah thats right AMERICA.

ya dimwit.

Guest bluesxman
We are talking about the people MAKING music here, no? If I want to listen to music from the 60's or 70's or 80's or whatever, I'll listen to music that was made during that period by people who were genuinely creating that music for real, first time round - not some naive, shambolic imitation performed by spotty students in some crappy bar in aberdeen so they can get their kicks and impress their mates.

Understand?

But even if it is an imitation of something that has gone before they still have to play it for real to perform live, and unless they are performing cover versions they have to compose and MAKE the music, however offensive it may be to your ears. But since I get the impression you don't attend gigs then I can only presume you are making huge assumptions about the bands who actually play in Aberdeen, unless you take the time to ensure you have heard all the bands that are caught in your net of scorn.

I haven't heard much of your output but what I did listen to didn't sound particularly innovative or original, pretty much like a large number of electronic tracks I've heard over the years. I accept that you may be using all sorts of modern techniques to produce the sounds from which you compose your music, in that way you are probably at an advantage in terms of being able to claim to be innovative, but if the end result sounds like something that's come before, then what have you really achieved and at the end of the day it doesn't make you any better than the bands you despise so for being 'plagiarists'.

The only sample based album which struck me as something mind blowing was DJ Shadow's Endtroducing, I've yet to hear anything to top it. His Psyence Fiction and Dark Days soundtrack work aside, his follow up work has been largely a huge disappointment. But then I don't listen to much electronica, not through any particular bias, I generally have a pretty far reaching taste in music, it just doesn't interest me too much. Any suggestions on something mind blowing gratefully received so I can educate myself.......

o_O

Interesting from someone who apparently doesn't care in the slightest what the 'locals' think of him or his band, yet when was the last time Spike Pliedriver ever played out of Aberdeen? For someone so vehemently DIY, you don't seem really arsed to try and make any kind of effort to expand your sphere of influence...

Easier to stick to not washing and moaning on the internet about how pathetic people in Aberdeen are, right? ;)

What a totally wrong post.

I gave up on this thread a long time ago but....

Stripey you might enjoy this Aberdeen band - www.myspace.com/preopcop

They are all very electronic influenced and use lots of samples n shit. Really cool band.

Only the first track will play for some reason, which is unfortunate cuz I would have liked to give the rest a listen. It doesn't do much for me atall though to be honest.

Guest Mr Blastcap

out interest Stripey, do you work in the IT industry?

sorry bout that, i'll stop stalking you. its just the impression i get of you- along with old Flash at the moorings- you both come across as pissy nit picking list making pedants, which as we all know are qualities much needed in the IT industry....obviously i'm not suggesting you have a speech impediment or anything....

luv!

do you fancy a game of dungeons and dragons at the weekend?

out interest Stripey, do you work in the IT industry?

sorry bout that, i'll stop stalking you. its just the impression i get of you- along with old Flash at the moorings- you both come across as pissy nit picking list making pedants, which as we all know are qualities much needed in the IT industry....obviously i'm not suggesting you have a speech impediment or anything....

luv!

do you fancy a game of dungeons and dragons at the weekend?

Look, I'm not a pedant or a nerd or a cross eyed acne-stricken geek or a basement dwelling computer admin, that's just a cheap shot. I'm not obsessed with technology and specifications, unlike flash, who I find completely intolerable with all his motorbike loving bandana wearing "i've got the best sound system in the world" rocknroll leather-jacket cockpirate "i remember the 80's" gayness.

I have cheapo gear and I use it. I use it full time. I sit at home all day working. Are you listening, all you internet wierdos? I have a laptop and a low-end usb audio interface, a low end keyboard, a low end mic, a low end set of headphones, fuck it, I use a consumer bookshelf hifi as monitors. Are you taking all of this in kids? I sit at home all day and write music on my crappy gear and even my most flaccid, uninspired, boring sounding sketches sound better than the flimsy teenage crap that you recorded at captain toms and gigged last week in drummonds.

No, mr blastcap, fuck off with your dungeons and dragons and your belittling accusations of nerd-hood. I'm an artist, not a geek.

Guest Mr Blastcap
Look, I'm not a pedant or a nerd or a cross eyed acne-stricken geek or a basement dwelling computer admin, that's just a cheap shot. I'm not obsessed with technology and specifications, unlike flash, who I find completely intolerable with all his motorbike loving bandana wearing "i've got the best sound system in the world" rocknroll leather-jacket cockpirate "i remember the 80's" gayness.

I have cheapo gear and I use it. I use it full time. I sit at home all day working. Are you listening, all you internet wierdos? I have a laptop and a low-end usb audio interface, a low end keyboard, a low end mic, a low end set of headphones, fuck it, I use a consumer bookshelf hifi as monitors. Are you taking all of this in kids? I sit at home all day and write music on my crappy gear and even my most flaccid, uninspired, boring sounding sketches sound better than the flimsy teenage crap that you recorded at captain toms and gigged last week in drummonds.

No, mr blastcap, fuck off with your dungeons and dragons and your belittling accusations of nerd-hood. I'm an artist, not a geek.

fair enough, i'm inclinded to think that because 90% of people are dicks ( this percentegage rises to about 99% in Aberdongle if you figure in oil money) i assume that 90% of people on this board are also numbnuts. i stand corrected Stripey Boy. i apologise. yer probably a sound bloke.

i also agree with the flash angle, i agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly.

fair enough, i'm inclinded to think that because 90% of people are dicks ( this percentegage rises to about 99% in Aberdongle if you figure in oil money) i assume that 90% of people on this board are also numbnuts. i stand corrected Stripey Boy. i apologise. yer probably a sound bloke.

i also agree with the flash angle, i agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly.

"inclinded to think that because 90% of people are dicks ( this percentegage rises to about 99% in Aberdongle if you figure in oil money) i assume that 90% of people on this board are also numbnuts."

What a twatish comment. Where are your facts to back that up? Is it the fact that some people work in the oil industry and earn money from that (which by the way in not as much smackeros as you might think these days) or is it just that some have money full stop? If so it seems you must have came in to some money lately.

I've been listening to music and playing it for longer than a lot of people on these forums have been walking upright and I see a lot of dodgy comments being made by these people. That does not make dicks or numbnuts, it just makes them human. Wise up!

Gonna let us hear something then? Genuinely interested.