aberdeen-music

Exile Studios Vs Captain Toms

PaulDW

Wanting to know what your thoughts are on the two places? Doyou have any recommendations?

We have recorded demos at captain toms before, but now we are gonna spend a few bob on a proper recording... and we are trying to find the best place to record...

So what do you think?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Paul_CT:

Wanting to know what your thoughts are on the two places? Doyou have any recommendations?

We have recorded demos at captain toms before, but now we are gonna spend a few bob on a proper recording... and we are trying to find the best place to record...

So what do you think?

If you're willing to spend a few bob then go see Niall at the Mill Studios in Crathes. More spendy than Tom's or Exile obviously, but far better. Great studio.

early stuff coming out of tom's studio was patchy, but the newer stuff's waaaaaaay better. we've never recorded there though: deadloss normally record at exile coz mark's very good with punky skuzzed up production like what we want. if you follow. i think the more he likes your music, the more he cares, and the better the recording is. but mark would probably disagree. you just have to know how to take his unique style, and he's charming enough :)

My band recorded @ Exile, and I htought that Mark Nicols didn't really have the band's interests in mind and wasn't the friendliest of guys. However, it was for a compilation Cd of local bands, therefore we weren't paying him ourselves so he had little incentive to do what we wanted.

We've also recorded our demo at Captain Tom's. We went there because the guys there are so cool that it's jsut a much better atmosphere to record in. We didn't think the recording quality would be as good as Exile, but when we were finished, we were extremely happy with the end product

I would say that the recording quality (in my little experience) can be quite good in both establishments, but personally, I felt much more at home @ Tom's, having a laugh while our vocals were recorded, rather than feeling awkward and small.

(No offence meant to Mr Nicols, he wasn't actually nasty to us or anything)

Both have there's pros and cons i'm sure, both have produced quality recordings. I guess it just depends on whether you know what you want when you go in, are able to communicate that to the engineer and also be open to their suggestions (they are professionals after all).

I think i'd probably go with Tom's, again for the atmosphere. Plus they you can get a block booking deal at bargain price if your times are felxible.

I would go with Tom's. It is a close decision if I base it purely on quality of work as Toms newer recordings and Exiles are both excellent. The Amy Sawers CD for example was recorded at Toms and it sounds really professional. Also as people have said great atmosphere in Toms. I am sure Exile is just as pleasent but I have never been there.

Not ENTIRELY sure on this one, but as of late my opinion of toms has gone down hill. Although i think it depends on the genre of music, in most cases, exile would probably be the better choice.

Having said that, i did have a really good recording experience in toms, but the guy mixing us was a bit inexperienced and didn't offer much help...

I'd go for Exile if i were you just cause Mark is really really helpful! He's really honest which in my opinion is great! If you sound crap he's gonna tell you! Theres no point going to a studio where their gonna tell you how great you are if you suck! Catch my drift? Exile all the way!

xxx

Aye, but at the end of the day it dont make much difference... Cus we would hardly go in and rewrite our music to suit someone else... Thats the whole point of this, is that we wanna make a cd of our music, not the music that someone else thinks we should be making...

Its a pretty close race between toms and exile... So it hasnt made the decison much easier yet... hmm... Toms is swaying me because ive bene impressed with some of the Fat Hippy recordings, and because we have a good rapport with the guys in there... But Exile appears to have many positives as well...

If its a quick live setup recording you want with no overdubs then go for toms, then get it mastered elsewhere (try Tom 10ew) afterwards. The bonesaw stuff was done this way and sounds great.

If you want to spend a little more time on it then go for exile, Mark is very flexible on working patterns and hours and often will agree on a price before recording starts then take as longs as is needed to complete the job, rather than charge on an hourly basis.

Alternatively if your band has access to a car i'd suggest making the trip down to dundee and recording at Robins (TFOBK/Jesus Elephant God) home studio.

Also Tom from 10 ew is good at home recording and can come record your bands demo for a low cost and produce great results.

Dave

Aye, but at the end of the day it dont make much difference... Cus we would hardly go in and rewrite our music to suit someone else... Thats the whole point of this, is that we wanna make a cd of our music, not the music that someone else thinks we should be making...

I think everyone wants that but having someone doing a sort of "producer" role will make your recordings become better. They have expereience of recording and not everything that you want to do will work or perhaps some of their suggestions will improve the sound.

Originally posted by DaveRowlands:

If you want to spend a little more time on it then go for exile, Mark is very flexible on working patterns and hours and often will agree on a price before recording starts then take as longs as is needed to complete the job, rather than charge on an hourly basis.

That is bullshit.

Mark Nichol USED to make a set price before starting recording until he recorded 'Out of Exile', he wasnt aware bands actually played 12 minute songs. Basically what we payed for it made a total mockery of his pricing system so he changed it to paying 'per minute of recorded material' or something. Oh and watch yourself with mark's "flexable working hours" if he likes you, and at the end of it your going to pay him well with minimum hassle he'll be there with bells on, however if for any reason he can't be bothered, he'll prolly have to look after the kids or find something else really important to do which'll leave you standing in the cold for as long as it takes you get bored and go home.

Paul, By all means go and try the place out I mean he was ok with us, great results on disc, he did push us to make a good recording.

But be warned that if you stress him out or he loses intrest you may end up re-living a recording horror story like HMG's where they were basically taken for a ride for 3 months and at the end of it had to cut one of the best songs on 'Splat Metal' as Mark simply couldnt be arsed anymore and left it unuseable.

We are 90% certain that we are gonna go with Exile...

I think Rass's post may influence that. I know for certain that when we come to record we are going for Captain Toms as we love the place and we know you can get the results.