aberdeen-music

Skin Removal (WARNING-contains potentially upsetting images)

i don't think you can compare tattoo's and piercings to that nonsense.

and frankly' date=' aren't people sick of stars as tattoos now? way to be individual and think for yourselves eh? "every punk kid in the world has a star tattoo so i'm going to get one too cause i'm a misunderstood suburban middle class idiot bleh"[/quote']

sure you can, i have tatoos and peircings, and there all body mods. just like branding, scarifation and supention(well not really suppention). most people would think getting a tatoo stupid, but others think other wise.

dont judge someone on there own personal tast.

if it wasent a star it could look quite cool

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooops!....shh' date=' they are supposed to be arguing that body mods are not for attention "looking cute", wouldn't be on the top 10 reasons, eh....

(he he)[/quote']

i got my tattoo on my leg so if i never wanted anybody to see it they couldent. i got mine for a huge love of a band. AND it looks cool.

i got my peircing because i have always loved face peircings.

i got my tattoo on my leg so if i never wanted anybody to see it they couldent. i got mine for a huge love of a band. AND it looks cool.

i got my peircing because i have always loved face peircings.

I just want to say that most of my stance, was towards the "extreme" side of body mods, I think tats and peircings are not as attention grabbing as they once were...

I was talking about putting lumps of steel under your skin and splitting your tongue in half etc....

All I was trying to say is that my perception is, these people do it to be different, to be seen as "not normal", and I find that sad that appearences matter more, than actual substance, thought and composure....

and, I am a big advocator of "each to their own", but don't hide the fact that one of the BIGGEST (not the only) driving factor in fucking your skin / face / whatever up, is to get noticed, to be seen as different.

do I need to clarify more? (or am I coming across as "an arrogant, single-minded twat in this thread."...if only I had a lumpy head and ears the size of jackie collins labia, then I'd be alowed to say what I thought, with confidence I was right.

Guest five years

i can't believe so many people are getting so upset about this...

grow up. it's not like anyone a) forced you to look at the pictures or b) is forcing you to do any of this body modification nonsense to yourself.

I just want to say that most of my stance' date=' was towards the "extreme" side of body mods, I think tats and peircings are not as attention grabbing as they once were...

I was talking about putting lumps of steel under your skin and splitting your tongue in half etc....

All I was trying to say is that my perception is, these people do it to be different, to be seen as "not normal", and I find that sad that appearences matter more, than actual substance, thought and composure....

and, I am a big advocator of "each to their own", but don't hide the fact that one of the BIGGEST (not the only) driving factor in fucking your skin / face / whatever up, is to get noticed, to be seen as different.

do I need to clarify more? (or am I coming across as "an arrogant, single-minded twat in this thread."...if only I had a lumpy head and ears the size of jackie collins labia, then I'd be alowed to say what I thought, with confidence I was right.

[/quote']

Much as the people you're arguing with (on the whole) are morons with the grammatical prowess of dyslexic chimpanzees, I do feel slightly uncomfortable with the gist of your argument.

It seems (correct me if I'm mistaken) that you seem to be trying to separate tattooing/piercing from scarification and other more 'extreme' modifications by saying that the former appear more acceptable, which I guess they are for some people. And I do understand that you probably think part of this greater acceptability is why more extreme modifications are being taken by those who do it for some sort of attention factor.

But I still think it's wrong to generalise, and assume that everyone who does scarification, etc, is looking for attention, anymore than it was with tattooing and piercing. I remember that my pretty tame eyebrow piercing was just because I liked the way it looked, and I wasn't comfortable with the attitude that it was about attention. Same with anything else that differentiated myself from others, such as the 'outrageous use' of nail varnish and eyeliner. I dug it, and so did whatever the hell I wanted to. Sure, there'll be a great deal of people who will do these things specifically for attention, but I'd say it's wrong to generalise.

PS I saw that 'Art Shock' programme with Saampo the Mechanical Bee, or whatever he was called. Some parts of that were pretty interesting, but Saampo seemed far too interested in shocking us with his keeeerrraazzzzzy antics to be taken seriously. Wonder how his elderly parents feel when he's at the family Christmas dinner, then suddenly starts skewering himself with the turkey carver?

it's still by no means an easy piercing to get done' date=' in terms of comfort levels. even darryl warned me i wasn't gonna like him very much after i got it done.[/quote']

I never said it was easy, i have one and to be honest was by far the easyest piercing i have had done. Streching it was worse than the piercing and i would happily go back and do it again.

sure you can' date=' i have tatoos and peircings, and there all body mods. just like branding, scarifation and supention(well not really suppention). most people would think getting a tatoo stupid, but others think other wise.

dont judge someone on there own personal tast.

if it wasent a star it could look quite cool[/quote']

i guess. i dunno, it just seems really stupid to me to actually remove skin to create a scar in a particular design. maybe i am the same as the people who thought tattoo's were stupid back in the day.

saying that i think most tattoo's are stupid. i've wanted a tattoo for ages but can't find/create a design i'm happy with. i've seen so many totally shit tattoo's on folk that i'm glad i've always waited a couple of weeks before getting a tattoo and it made me realise all the designs i'd come up with were childish and i'd regret them later in life.

each to his own and all that. folk can fuck up their own body if they want but it doesn't mean i can't think the practice is moronic and done for the wrong reasons. i've genuinely nothing against tattoo's or piercings(shit tattoo's can be covered up later, piercings are piercings) but this thread was started with pictures of someone removing skin from their arm in the shape of a star. for what purpose? it just seems a little vain and misguided to me.

ooops!....shh' date=' they are supposed to be arguing that body mods are not for attention "looking cute", wouldn't be on the top 10 reasons, eh....

(he he)[/quote']

haha, even my non-show off body mods get shown off to certain people. any adjustments made to your body, even in terms of wearing make-up or the type of clothes you wear conveys to other people the type of person you want to come across as being. it doesn't necessarily mean it's attention seeking in a bad way. more like accessorising on a more permanant basis.

PS I saw that 'Art Shock' programme with Saampo the Mechanical Bee' date=' or whatever he was called. Some parts of that were pretty interesting, but Saampo seemed far too interested in shocking us with his keeeerrraazzzzzy antics to be taken seriously. Wonder how his elderly parents feel when he's at the family Christmas dinner, then suddenly starts skewering himself with the turkey carver?[/quote']

That Saampo guy's interest in shocking is mostly due to the fact that he makes a living from his piercing performances at fetish nights, and in that performance arena, the more able you are to shock people, the more likely you are to get more gigs and better pay for them.

I never said it was easy' date=' i have one and to be honest was by far the easyest piercing i have had done. Streching it was worse than the piercing and i would happily go back and do it again.[/quote']

seriously? my septum was my worst piercing to get done (i have 12, and i do play piercings from time to time for photo shoots). still no regrets though, because i love it.

haha' date=' even my non-show off body mods get shown off to certain people. any adjustments made to your body, even in terms of wearing make-up or the type of clothes you wear conveys to other people the type of person you want to come across as being. it doesn't necessarily mean it's attention seeking in a bad way. more like accessorising on a more permanant basis.[/quote']

I do believe my original point has been lost somewhere down the line, for "good or bad", all I said was one of the main reasons people get these things done, is to appear different, to stand out...

all I said was that people feel the need to LOOK different, but the important part is, to BE different, you can have the most bland middle of the road, gormless twat, with a Prince Albert and ahead like an egg box, and you can have someone who has no body mods, wears jeans and a t-shirt, who might be the next picasso!

if anyone with a body mod is actually honest (and I've got a tat, the lower end of the mod spectrum(!)), we got it done, for personal reasons, sure (I wanted to know what it felt like, and to have one of my designs put on me permanently),...but, we did get them to "show them off"...and that's being honest.

I do believe my original point has been lost somewhere down the line' date=' for "good or bad", all I said was one of the main reasons people get these things done, is to appear different, to stand out...

all I said was that people feel the need to LOOK different, but the important part is, to BE different, you can have the most bland middle of the road, gormless twat, with a Prince Albert and ahead like an egg box, and you can have someone who has no body mods, wears jeans and a t-shirt, who might be the next picasso!

if anyone with a body mod is actually honest (and I've got a tat, the lower end of the mod spectrum(!)), we got it done, for personal reasons, sure (I wanted to know what it felt like, and to have one of my designs put on me permanently),...but, we did get them to "show them off"...and that's being honest.[/quote']

yeah i totally agree with you.