aberdeen-music

The Aberdeen audiences

black_matter

I was discussing the subject of why Aberdeen doesn't get many popular, mainstream artists or groups to the city with a workmate a few weeks ago. The last major hyped up gig that was mainstream would most likely be Pittodrie which proposed a promising future for concerts to be held there. I believed that Aberdeen was a very receptive city as an audience at concerts/gigs etc but my workmate told me that hardly and mainstream bands make the trip to Aberdeen because the Aberdeen crowds are renowned for being a really bad audience and booing etc. To be honest it doesn't bother me that the mainstream artists don't come to Aberdeen but it would however, give the city a boost musically and would give Aberdeen bands more of a chance possibly. Is this true about Aberdeen crowds? What's your thoughts on the general attitudes of the crowds of Aberdeen?

Generally Aberdeen crowds are pretty awful. I've been to countless gigs where the bands have been met with folded arms and muted applause, catcalls and heckles for no apparent reason, or just people chatting loudly all through their set.

Some guy was even chanting "you suck!" at Laeto the other night, which is just unforgiveable...

AKM

I was discussing the subject of why Aberdeen doesn't get many popular' date=' mainstream artists or groups to the city with a workmate a few weeks ago. The last major hyped up gig that was mainstream would most likely be Pittodrie which proposed a promising future for concerts to be held there. I believed that Aberdeen was a very receptive city as an audience at concerts/gigs etc but my workmate told me that hardly and mainstream bands make the trip to Aberdeen because the Aberdeen crowds are renowned for being a really bad audience and booing etc. To be honest it doesn't bother me that the mainstream artists don't come to Aberdeen but it would however, give the city a boost musically and would give Aberdeen bands more of a chance possibly. Is this true about Aberdeen crowds? What's your thoughts on the general attitudes of the crowds of Aberdeen?[/quote']

Bullshit. Lots of bands/artists, both mainstream and not play here, and from the shows I've been to, generally get as good a reception, if not better, than most places.

Generally Aberdeen crowds are pretty awful. I've been to countless gigs where the bands have been met with folded arms and muted applause' date=' catcalls and heckles for no apparent reason, or just people chatting loudly all through their set.

Some guy was even chanting "you suck!" at Laeto the other night, which is just unforgiveable...

AKM[/quote']

Yeah, but that happens in most/all places in the UK!

Simple really. Money. Why would a mainstream act spend the money coming to Aberdeen when they could just as easily play Glasgow where they are more likely to sell out the SECC than risk coming up here to play to a 3/4 full AECC?

Most of the mainstream acts I've seen in Aberdeen have been very well recieved.....

Guest Phantomsmasher
Aberdeen is full of arrogant ' date=' self rightious assholes ...........

Its all been said time and time again .....[/quote']

Discounting the general population of aberdeen.

Which music crowds in particular are like that?

who actually cares?

most of the bands that tend to play at the aecc are pretty much dire with the exception of a few

In your opinion - a lot of people like the bands that play there, it's not to do with what people like its to do with getting people to gigs, which can only be good for every promoter. My first few gigs in Aberdeen were bigger acts and that encouraged me to go and check out smaller acts and enjoy the live experience. I would imagine a lot of people on here first went to big gigs as their first gigs, and so the more on your doorstep the better for everyone.

Cheers

Stuart

i agree with maxi, most of the acts that come are pretty dire. or they play pants (oasis for instace played as you'd expect but didnt seem to put the "show" on) but there is exceptions to that.

ive been to big gigs but like i prefer goin to smaller venues such as tunnels, moshulu etc.

i like havin the chance to talk with the bands after. i mean go to a big gig and whats the likelyhood of catchin morrisey (for example) chilling at the bar? probs no chance.

but what someone else said about the bigger bands goin to glasgow etc. its true in my opinion. minus the 3/4 full thing. it would probs sell out. . . but aint SECC bigger than AECC? and more people from borders/central belt will more likely pack into glasgow than aberdeen.

it sucks alot sometimes. .

Your workmate is utterly' date=' utterly wrong. Big acts normally get a great reception here, which is why they keep making the long trip north every time they tour. Even at smaller gigs by new bands on the "toilet circuit" there have been some fantastic responses by Aberdeen crowds. I'd imagine the Bromheads Jacket gig at the Tunnels on Thursday will have a fantastic atmosphere, for example.

Does your workmate go to many gigs in this town?[/quote']

I tend to agree with you here to be honest because he's a bit arrogant in the fact that he doesn't really listen to what he says too much. I generally thought Aberdeen crowds were nice except the odd few that ruin the atmosphere

nobody asked for your life story

this is pretty generalised but here it goes...

In your opinion - a lot of people like the bands that play there' date=' it's not to do with what people like its to do with getting people to gigs, which can only be good for every promoter.

[/quote']

can it fuck. these people go to barely any other gigs and are usually insulted if you hand them a flyer and talk to them about a show with bands that they have never heard of. fuck add insult to injury, ask them to play three pounds entry, (thats the price of a bottle of bud in the aecc)

im sorry but these people are generally morons when it comes to music. i dont want to waste my time with these people (and most fowk in town dont either) as they simply waste paper and you are pissign on a ducks back

id rather they kept going to the ned fests that are gigs at the aecc

if there is a relevant gig on in town at say moshulu/tunnels/melon tree ill go there and flyer, as these are the pople who go to at least a few gigs a month and have a fa rmore open mind than the twats out the road

that encouraged me to go and check out smaller acts and enjoy the live experience.

Cheers

Stuart

i.e. anything that "your" acts are playign at

can it fuck. these people go to barely any other gigs and are usually insulted if you hand them a flyer and talk to them about a show with bands that they have never heard of. fuck add insult to injury' date=' ask them to play three pounds entry, (thats the price of a bottle of bud in the aecc)

im sorry but these people are generally morons when it comes to music. i dont want to waste my time with these people (and most fowk in town dont either) as they simply waste paper and you are pissign on a ducks back

if there is a relevant gig on in town at say moshulu/tunnels/melon tree ill go there and flyer, as these are the pople who go to at least a few gigs a month and have a fa rmore open mind than the twats out the road

i.e. anything that "your" acts are playign at[/quote']

The speeling deterriorates as the angerr sets inn

Discounting the general population of aberdeen.

Which music crowds in particular are like that?

I have taken it upon myself to not answer that as it will just stir up a whole bunch of shite between the indie kids , emo kids , metal kids , 60's psychodelic hippies or fitever you want to call them.

You don't see indie kids making pyramids or intense air curling ..........................:up:

The last big gig at Pittodrie was Elton John' date=' wasn't it? Since then we've had Oasis, Ian Brown, Franz Ferdinand, Blondie, Rakes, Editors, Babyshambles, Belle and Sebastian, James Blunt, and Morrissey next month, to name but a few. If anything, Aberdeen punches way above its weight when it comes to attracting big bands.

The only feasible time to hold gigs at Pittodrie is during the summer, when the pitch isn't being used for football. Then, if you take the touring schedules of major touring acts into account, most of them will be playing festivals or they won't be in the UK at the time. If, by a stroke of luck the people who put these gigs on found a date and time that suited everyone, they face weeks of moaning from the Evening Express about crowd numbers, noise levels etc.

Your workmate is utterly, utterly wrong. Big acts normally get a great reception here, which is why they keep making the long trip north every time they tour. Even at smaller gigs by new bands on the "toilet circuit" there have been some fantastic responses by Aberdeen crowds. I'd imagine the Bromheads Jacket gig at the Tunnels on Thursday will have a fantastic atmosphere, for example.

Does your workmate go to many gigs in this town?[/quote']

i can guarantee that the bromheads jacket gig will have an amazing atmosphere just on the basis that theres about 30 of us going who are really into their music and have been for a while. Bromheads were quoted in nme a couple of months back after the glasgow gig saying that the guys who came up from aberdeen (rowan, ross etc) were fucking mental or something like that. Just this week in nme the automatic was praising the scottish crowds and went on about the aberdeen gig. You can realise when a band is wowed by the fans and the subways gig at moshulu was exactly like that. The Others gig at the lemontree is still regarded as one of the best nights dominic masters has ever had. Was talking to the guy from morning runner and he was amazed by the turn out for the gig ( a sell out) at the tunnels. I could go on and on and on but isnt this proof that good up n coming bands love aberdeen and if we keep this up then they will definitely come back when they get bigger.

So yeah your workmate is totally wrong and i totally agree with dave.

have to say that although the aecc attracts loads of neds which is so fucking annoying. this is generally the case at most gigs this size. For example the nme tour last november the amount of neds who turned out at the carling academy for the kaiser chiefs was unbelievable (and no i wasnt there for the kaisers coz they are shite). Just saying that its not just the aberdeen crowd thats like this.

The crowds at the tunnels, moshulu, lt are normally ace, with exceptions of hard-fi which was a little nedfest

can it fuck. these people go to barely any other gigs and are usually insulted if you hand them a flyer and talk to them about a show with bands that they have never heard of. fuck add insult to injury' date=' ask them to play three pounds entry, (thats the price of a bottle of bud in the aecc)

i.e. anything that "your" acts are playign at[/quote']

You dont half speak crap sometimes: "People are morons when it comes to music" You do not have better taste than anyone else, you just have your taste, I have mine, and the people who go to the AECC have theirs, none of us have more worthy taste than the others. You have some kind of musical superiority complex which seems to make you think you can pass judgement on what other people like - you dont, your taste is as irrelevant as anyone else's is, in the big scheme of things. You puton what you like and well done to you, the people that want to see it come along, and the people that want to go to see bigger gigs also go along, there isnt a lot of difference, neitherof you are superior in any way

I gave an example of why going to bigger gigs got me going to smaller gigs, and it's as relevant to this conversation as anything else is.

I dont have to justify my gig habits to anyone, especially not you.

Cheers

Stuart

• Upvote 2

You dont half speak crap sometimes: "People are morons when it comes to music" You do not have better taste than anyone else' date=' you just have your taste, I have mine, and the people who go to the AECC have theirs, none of us have more worthy taste than the others. You have some kind of musical superiority complex which seems to make you think you can pass judgement on what other people like - you dont, your taste is as irrelevant as anyone else's is, in the big scheme of things. You puton what you like and well done to you, the people that want to see it come along, and the people that want to go to see bigger gigs also go along, there isnt a lot of difference, neitherof you are superior in any way

[/quote']

you were up on your high horse and being an idiot again before really reading what i said

these people have no interest in going to gigs regularly, never mind stuff they havent heard of. dont ask them to pay for it either.

but i am superior to you and the world. i am the fucking greatest.you are not. i should write a book and call it gospel

i can guarantee that the bromheads jacket gig will have an amazing atmosphere just on the basis that theres about 30 of us going who are really into their music and have been for a while. Bromheads were quoted in nme a couple of months back after the glasgow gig saying that the guys who came up from aberdeen (rowan' date=' ross etc) were fucking mental or something like that. Just this week in nme the automatic was praising the scottish crowds and went on about the aberdeen gig. You can realise when a band is wowed by the fans and the subways gig at moshulu was exactly like that. The Others gig at the lemontree is still regarded as one of the best nights dominic masters has ever had. Was talking to the guy from morning runner and he was amazed by the turn out for the gig ( a sell out) at the tunnels. I could go on and on and on but isnt this proof that good up n coming bands love aberdeen and if we keep this up then they will definitely come back when they get bigger.

So yeah your workmate is totally wrong and i totally agree with dave.[/quote']

agreed. this has been happening at some of our gigs and some of the diy gigs recently

you were up on your high horse and being an idiot again before really reading what i said

these people have no interest in going to gigs regularly' date=' never mind stuff they havent heard of. dont ask them to pay for it either.

but i am superior to you and the world. i am the fucking greatest.you are not. i should write a book and call it gospel[/quote']

Or you should shut up.

• Upvote 1

these people have no interest in going to gigs regularly' date=' never mind stuff they havent heard of. dont ask them to pay for it either.

but i am superior to you and the world. i am the fucking greatest.you are not. i should write a book and call it gospel[/quote']

Actually I was saying that it does happen that people can get into small gigs from big ones because it happened to me, and you were saying it didnt happen. You cant pigeon hole every person that goes the AECC all 8,000 arent the same,some will be interested in the gigs, most wont, but even if 0.5% of the people who go might be interested then thats 40 people who might give it a chance, and that's no bad thing.

Cheers

Stuart