aberdeen-music

The Aberdeen audiences

black_matter

Ok quoting that post wasnt the best plan.....

I believe that lots of kids interests in music stem from the pop charts or sometimes' date=' like my kids, dad drags them along to major shows. You appear to think that the majority of "real" music fans start at the small venue shows and may work up to the big events, myself and others agree that that is not always the case.....I dont lie!![/quote']

Yep that's the point I was making, nothing to do with flyering, at no point was I suggesting anyone flyer the AECC (the logisticsof a street team that size would be ludicrous), or agreeing with Cloud on it, so not sure where that idea came from. I just think that most people will start with bigger shows and work down, or as I said get inspired to start playing too, and all in all that will bring people into the scene that will help make the scene stronger. The AECC shows etc will never be a waste if time though as long as people go and enjoy them, which is the main point of music anyway.

Cheers

Stuart

OKAY, HERE IS A THEORY:

a majority of local gig goers will be aberdeen-music, right? assuming so, most people will know each other or refer to each other by their aberdeen-music persona, apart from the few groups that have known each other previous to this. and let's not sugar-coat this, aberdeen-music is host to all kinds of e-grudges. some message boards just don't create that kind of *cohesion* that would otherwise exist if there was no online-meeting place for the gig-goers. and i think that reflects on who goes to gigs, who with and the general atmosphere of the link between real people and their online-persona.

i missed out on a lot of points that might suggest otherwise in your opnion, but hey, i couldn't construct a definite arguement if i was on both/every side, right?

crazy theory, huh?

OKAY' date=' HERE IS A THEORY:

a majority of local gig goers will be aberdeen-music, right? assuming so, most people will know each other or refer to each other by their aberdeen-music persona, apart from the few groups that have known each other previous to this. and let's not sugar-coat this, aberdeen-music is host to all kinds of e-grudges. some message boards just don't create that kind of *cohesion* that would otherwise exist if there was no online-meeting place for the gig-goers. and i think that reflects on who goes to gigs, who with and the general atmosphere of the link between real people and their online-persona.

i missed out on a lot of points that might suggest otherwise in your opnion, but hey, i couldn't construct a definite arguement if i was on both/every side, right?

crazy theory, huh?[/quote']

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are on about...?(

My god there's some rubbish being spouted here.

It's such an arrogant attitude that EVERYONE at AECC gigs is a twat who cares more about starting punch ups than seeing live music. I went to the Franz gig, and I go to local gigs when i can. A couple of my mates who I went with go to their fair share of local gigs too. Granted, at least half of the folk I went with only go to gigs with big name acts, but it's a fallacy to suggest that out of 6000 punters there were only a handful there who would even consider going to see a gig comprising local acts.

Jester and soundian are right - the vast majority of people's first gigs are ones like those staged at the AECC. It's like it is with films - most people's first film is a Hollywood blockbuster, not a small budget foreign film. Does that mean no one who goes to see a Tom Cruise film will EVER take an interest in small budget films? No, of course it fucking doesn't, and the same holds true for gigs.

Same with comedy - if someone was outside The Mighty Boosh a couple of weeks ago handing out flyers for the show of a comedian who was supposed to be the next Steve Coogan or Dylan Moran or something, I would probably have gone. Who's to say the same wouldn't happen at an AECC gig?

"Fit's 'at? They sound like Frauns Furdenaund? Well 'at gig was fuckin ace like, so I reckon I might jist gang tae that. Cheers min."

Not everyone is so up there own arse that they avoid a gig just because a band has become popular, there are still SOME regular/semi-regular gig goers at these type of shows...

So lets get up off our seats and show these bands that we care about live music. And not lose our local scene to apathy.

That depends though. From a band perspective, some fool making an arse out of himself at the front is funny enough for a few minutes, but it soon gets boring. Actually, it gets boring from a spectator's perspective too. Although the older they are, the longer it stays funny.

You don't have to be moving about to show appreciation for a band. A crowd that pays attention to the band and stays silent during their songs, then gives a rapturous round of applause after the songs, is just as rewarding (more so, depending on the type of band) as a crowd that's jumping about all over the place. And you can't blame people for not wanting to be the only drunken spastic making a tit of themself at a gig.

On the other hand, I remember watching the White Stripes from the bar at the Carling Academy a few years ago. That's cos getting pished was more interesting than that shite. But then they're the type of band you'd expect to get people jumping about.

It's such an arrogant attitude that EVERYONE at AECC gigs is a twat who cares more about starting punch ups than seeing live music. I went to the Franz gig' date=' and I go to local gigs when i can. A couple of my mates who I went with go to their fair share of local gigs too. Granted, at least half of the folk I went with only go to gigs with big name acts, but it's a fallacy to suggest that out of 6000 punters there were only a handful there who would even consider going to see a gig comprising local acts.

Jester and soundian are right - the vast majority of people's first gigs are ones like those staged at the AECC. It's like it is with films - most people's first film is a Hollywood blockbuster, not a small budget foreign film. Does that mean no one who goes to see a Tom Cruise film will EVER take an interest in small budget films? No, of course it fucking doesn't, and the same holds true for gigs.

Same with comedy - if someone was outside The Mighty Boosh a couple of weeks ago handing out flyers for the show of a comedian who was supposed to be the next Steve Coogan or Dylan Moran or something, I would probably have gone. Who's to say the same wouldn't happen at an AECC gig?

"Fit's 'at? They sound like Frauns Furdenaund? Well 'at gig was fuckin ace like, so I reckon I might jist gang tae that. Cheers min."

Not everyone is so up there own arse that they avoid a gig just because a band has become popular, there are still SOME regular/semi-regular gig goers at these type of shows...[/quote']

at last some sense on this thread!!!!!

Guest bluesxman

Yes, and your post was a prime example I'm afraid.

Whether people choose to attend certain gigs is ultimately down to their tolerance for different kinds of music and not because some all powerful 'live music' vibe has struck them at their first gig. Are you seriously suggesting that someone will go to a David Gray gig at the AECC as their first gig and automatically think 'My God, I loved that live show, think I shall go to this hardcore punk all day show that's being flyered because I now love live music so much?'

A lot of people who attended a big show as their first gig may well go on to become a regular gig goer, taking in all kinds of bands, many will continue to only attend the big name shows. My first gig was Big Country at The Capitol although my tastes were mainly Indie/punk bands and this then formed most of my gig going experiences at The Pelican Club, Music Hall and that one that used to be downstairs on Crown Street that I forget the name of.

The same holds true for movies, most peoples parents will take them to a movie when they are young and this will be their first movie going experience, anyone with a brain will know that it's highly unlikely to be a screening of 'Ai No Corrida'. Whether they move onto Art House style movies in the future or stick with blockbusters, or indeed watch movies regularly at all, will be down to personal taste and choice.

A lot of people can stray between the obscure and the mainstream, I certainly do but a lot won't.

Everyone is different, why try and rationalise it into an easy explanation?

Yes' date=' and your post was a prime example I'm afraid.

Whether people choose to attend certain gigs is ultimately down to their tolerance for different kinds of music and not because some all powerful 'live music' vibe has struck them at their first gig. Are you seriously suggesting that someone will go to a David Gray gig at the AECC as their first gig and automatically think 'My God, I loved that live show, think I shall go to this hardcore punk all day show that's being flyered because I now love live music so much?'

A lot of people who attended a big show as their first gig may well go on to become a regular gig goer, taking in all kinds of bands, many will continue to only attend the big name shows. My first gig was Big Country at The Capitol although my tastes were mainly Indie/punk bands and this then formed most of my gig going experiences at The Pelican Club, Music Hall and that one that used to be downstairs on Crown Street that I forget the name of.

The same holds true for movies, most peoples parents will take them to a movie when they are young and this will be their first movie going experience, anyone with a brain will know that it's highly unlikely to be a screening of 'Ai No Corrida'. Whether they move onto Art House style movies in the future or stick with blockbusters, or indeed watch movies regularly at all, will be down to personal taste and choice.

A lot of people can stray between the obscure and the mainstream, I certainly do but a lot won't.

Everyone is different, why try and rationalise it into an easy explanation?[/quote']

This is the worst example of mis-interpretation/reading between the lines I have ever seen.

Guest bluesxman
This is the worst example of mis-interpretation/reading between the lines I have ever seen.

Aye OK. I could apply that to most of the posts on this thread. Explain why.

Misinterpretation, reconstistution of the debate or expansion of the argument, I liked it! Sums me up too and Mr B's mentioned of the Capitol means he gets my vote (daydreams of the good old days in an old man, it was so much better in my day, styleeeee) Surely there is no definitive answer to this thread? Lets start another rambling thread about how Aberdeen is rubbisher than elsewhere when in fact it ain't in the slightest. It can be hard work at times though. But isn't the grass always greener until you jump the fence and find a whole bunch of folk in that field with funny nasal accents that you don't understand saying "arite big maan, you onnie spare change"? No wait, that was George street!

Jim

Guest Neubeatz
having been to see the buzzcocks last night i was appauled at the crowd. mostly filled with children mind' date=' but there was not one person even moving till about half way through the set, yet i couldnt find a gap to squeeze to the front to start some movement either.

Gets on my nerves when people go to a gig to stand and stare blankly at a band but it really makes me want to draw blood when they wont let anyone past them either.

In fairness however "most" other gigs ive been to with a more mainstream band have been decent, or even good on occasion.. never anything special.[/quote']

In fairness, Pete Shelly has had this "japanese audience syndrome" previously in Aberdeen,

I honestly cant see a macho homophobic aberdeed rock crowd even wanting to scratch an eyebrow at a Buzzcocks gig, let alone do something as radical as fucking relaxing!!! :D

A small' date=' insignificant, but maybe slightly relevant fact.

Attendance at Things In Herds gig:

Glasgow 4

Aberdeen 35

How does that equate with the arguement?[/quote']

i think people are unfairly hard on the Aberdeen audiences. What are they comparing them to? I mean, how many people are seeing bands in the Tunnels and the equivilant in, say, Sheffield.

Anyway, the results are in - Aberdeen 35, Glasgow 4. We should ask Things In Herds, King Creoste and Addrian Crowley how last nights gig compared to other dates.

A small' date=' insignificant, but maybe slightly relevant fact.

Attendance at Things In Herds gig:

Glasgow 4

Aberdeen 35

How does that equate with the arguement?[/quote']

It means that Aberdeen is nearly 9 times better than Glasgow.

(Mental note Jim, stop relaxing in your new house and go to gigs again!):O

Guest bluesxman
Surely there is no definitive answer to this thread?

Exactly, and as with how best to promote music in Aberdeen type threads, there is no definitive solution, promoters/bands/venues can only do their best to attract paying customers by whatever means they think works best for them. The others who think they can do better have probably neither the knowledge or experience to back up their opinions and theories.

It means that Aberdeen is nearly 9 times better than Glasgow.

(Mental note Jim' date=' stop relaxing in your new house and go to gigs again!):O[/quote']

Aye cos then it wouldn't have been nearly it would have been exactly.

And by the way, last week, Larkin Grimm said Aberdeen was the best gig on her tour. This is not an uncommon reaction from our visitors. Small but significant I think.

Guest bluesxman

And by the way' date=' last week, Larkin Grimm said Aberdeen was the best gig on her tour. This is not an uncommon reaction from our visitors. Small but significant I think.[/quote']

I was surprised (pleasantly) to see how busy that gig was.

And by the way' date=' last week, Larkin Grimm said Aberdeen was the best gig on her tour. This is not an uncommon reaction from our visitors. Small but significant I think.[/quote']

Yup. Common statement from many a performer over the years. It was what kept us ploughing away at Drakes for as long as we did and still a very important factor for Shaz and Maxi (Arkade and IMP hospitality is a large factor I would say though).

Nowt beats an audience enjoying a gig and then the band/performer loving their visit to the Deen. Man Inc "my favourite gigs out side of the States!".

What's being said to argue against this is that going to a big gig doesn't (in the majority of cases) make people want to go to smaller gigs. Most of the people who go to smaller gigs I think would have gotten into it in another way easily.

My first gig was technically "big"... it was the radio one roadshow... it was free... i went with my mates and the fat barmaid from eastenders was singing... this hardly inspired me to go to gigs.

I got into going to gigs by knowing people in bands and researching bands on the web and later by joining a band myself.

We're all different.

Thats what I'm saying though, it wont make people go to local gigs in the majority of cases but it doesnt have to, 0.5% of a sold out AECC is 30 people, and to a lot of local gigs 30 people is a fair chunk of the audience - no-ones ever been talking about taking a majority of people from the AECC shows to small gigs, but that just a tiny percentage might be encouraged through enjoying live music to go and see other bands, a tiny percentage from a few big gigs can add up to a reasonable percentage of local gig crowd. You say that most people would have got into music anyway and you might be right, but I'm not sure how because most people I know got into music by going to see one of their favourite bands and in a lot of cases seeing how much better they were live etc and realising the live experience gave something a bit extra, Most people get into music through radio/cds/friends etc, most people start to love music when they see bands live.

Aberdeen-music is to a degree an anomaly because most people on here are involved in bands etc so the chances are likely they will have got into gigs by a desire to play, or see someone they know playing, in some way - the general person on the street may not know anyone in a band but may still go to local gigs - although it is true that some gigs have a large part of the crowd are involved in the music scene.

Just out of interest you said your first gig was a radio 1 roadshow gig, but what was the first gig you saw that you really loved? Was it a big band or not ? Just interested, possibly trhats a more relevant question that the first gig anyone ever saw.

Cheers

Stuart

The Great Deceiver said:

We' ve been in the UK for the past 5 days or so, and it has been alright so far. The absolute highlight has been Aberdeen, no doubt. The people there were really crazy, the atmosphere was really intense and we truly had the best of times!!! Killer.

Smackdown keep seeming to want to come back.

Skulls and Flames said:

Sunday the 23rd of October

The longest but supposed to be nicer rides of the tour, Harrogate to Aberdeen. Great scenery on this way, but not today. Pissing rain and foggy sky from the start till the end. Still seeing the William Wallace memorial tower was kinda cool.

At 5:30 pm we arrive and see that the venue is called East Neuk. Neuk translated to Dutch means fuck, so especially I had lot's of fun about it.

The venue was massive and everywhere where decorations from a earlier engagement party which was fun. After Ed, Dave and Jochem where lost in the old city we where off for some food on location. Back again at the venue it was already crowded, rock a billy's, crusties, head bangers and teenage girls that looked to be for the first time at a heavy DIY gig.

Tribe started to play their 'Deviated Instinct' kinda slow crust with some 'beat down' feel a like parts and almost everybody still where sitting as if the bingo could start any moment. Slowly the people get off their butts and walked to the front to see what was going on.

The pacifists did a proper gig. Charley still mental as fuck and the band fast and tide.

I missed them in the Netherlands but now no escape from Scotland's finest grind posse Filthpact. Traditional crusty grind played very energetic for their home crowed.

We played a tide, fast and great set. People liked it and hit the dance floor with great moves learned from instructional video's that probably only are distributed in the UK.

Afterwards a great fun little party on the 15th floor of an Aberdeen flat with booze, fun, slayer, hardcore holocaust compilation and loads of bad jokes.

DuckxStab just last week said "this is fucking ace, you guys know how to have fun, Aberdeen's ace"

me, Maxi and Tom were down in DeadFest where we were told that "good to have people come down from Aberdeen and be cheerleaders for the whole weekend"

So everyone, it is at that that Im going to leave you with this...

shut the fuck up.

I dunno... I agree with what he was saying... the whole basis in Jester's argument is that most music fans first gig is a big one and they got into smaller gigs that way... yeah' date=' it' may be true in a lot of cases on aberdeen-music but using the members of this forum is a poor example as most of us are music fans (strangely enough).

What's being said to argue against this is that going to a big gig doesn't (in the majority of cases) make people want to go to smaller gigs. Most of the people who go to smaller gigs I think would have gotten into it in another way easily.

My first gig was technically "big"... it was the radio one roadshow... it was free... i went with my mates and the fat barmaid from eastenders was singing... this hardly inspired me to go to gigs.

I got into going to gigs by knowing people in bands and researching bands on the web and later by joining a band myself.

We're all different.[/quote']

I would say that it's the other way around, people on this forum will be more likely to break the "hear bands on radio/tv/internet->read about bands in magazines->go to see aforementioned bands->seek out more live music" sequence. We're talking about the majority of people, not the majority of people as represented on Ab-Mus.com.

No one has ever suggested that the majority of people who go to bigger gigs will go to smaller gigs, just that it's the normal way to get into live music. Let's face it, if you can't be arsed going to see one of your favourite bands live, your not very likely to go and see some local stuff/smaller touring acts (unless some of your fave bands are smaller touring acts/local bands)

Maybe if you remember the first gig you went to because you wanted to go, rather than some free, mass produced drivel, you'd get what we mean.

I'll admit that the internet may be changing this, but not to a huge extent yet imo.

T I'd imagine the Bromheads Jacket gig at the Tunnels on Thursday will have a fantastic atmosphere' date=' for example.

[/quote']

That's a difference I've started to notice. I've been going to indie gigs for bloody ages now, and even this time last year, they were so depressing. These bands would be selling out small venues throughout the country, and the reviews were awsome. They'd play Kef in Aberdeen and have a room 3/4 empty, with people standing with folded arms, nodding their heads in time to the music and politely clapping after each song. Now, there's actually reasonable (ish) crowds for these sorts of gigs. The Automatic was packed, The Paddigtons in October was superb, and I'm sure tonight will be good. I wish I was going, but I've got too much work to do.

Everyone, go to the Long Blondes in April, please.