aberdeen-music

'Cold Granite' by Stuart Macbride

Lemonade

I loved it. And I embarrassingly gushed that sentiment at him during a works do last year (he worked for the same company as me until he became a full time writer). The writing could have been a little tighter but as a first novel it was a great start. Hopefully it can build into a cracking series.

Do you know which Aberdeen band Rebus likes?

I'm assuming Pallas??????(

I'd hope APB!:love:

I often find his music bits kind of cringeworthy (Gong being mentioned as a Rebus listen....now I LIKE Gong, but they don't strike me as Rebus-esque).

Anybody else like James Lee Burke's books?? Very light, but entertaining.

I'm currently reading that Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell one (courtesy of a charity shop).

I went through a period of reading as many books set in contemporary aberdeen as possible.

This one was alright, found the writing got better as the book went on but it was quite obviously his first outing. Apparently he's got another one coming out soon, will probably give it a read.

And yeah, Alan's right, not a patch on Rebus which I am addicted to at the moment.

fuck crime novels, I absolutely despise these lowbrow trashy entertainment products because they abuse and cheapen a truly beautiful artform. Crap like this is nothing more than a disgusting, worthless layer of shit which obscures the true nature and value of literature and tricks the uneducated into believing they are reading something that matters. The same can be said of american cinema, and pop music. Everyone is free to read, view or listen to anything they want, but as long as there are idiots around to consume this cultural effluent, the arts will suffer and as a consequence so will society in general.

fuck crime novels' date=' I absolutely despise these lowbrow trashy entertainment products because they abuse and cheapen a truly beautiful artform. Crap like this is nothing more than a disgusting, worthless layer of shit which obscures the true nature and value of literature and tricks the uneducated into believing they are reading something that matters. The same can be said of american cinema, and pop music. Everyone is free to read, view or listen to anything they want, but as long as there are idiots around to consume this cultural effluent, the arts will suffer and as a consequence so will society in general.[/quote']

If there's one thing worse than a stupid person making a moronic comment, it's a stupid person making a moronic comment while also thinking their statement is far more profound or of more intellectual value than it actually is. You're about as controversial as a three-year-old

repeatedly saying 'bumhole' to try and offend his mother. Though the three-year-old probably has more chance of success with regards to the intent of his outburst.

If there's one thing worse than a stupid person making a moronic comment' date=' it's a stupid person making a moronic comment while also thinking their statement is far more profound or of more intellectual value than it actually is. You're about as controversial as a three-year-old

repeatedly saying 'bumhole' to try and offend his mother. Though the three-year-old probably has more chance of success with regards to the intent of his outburst.[/quote']

If there's one thing more amusing than a stupid person making a moronic comment, it's the word 'bumhole'

:up:

If there's one thing worse than a stupid person making a moronic comment' date=' it's a stupid person making a moronic comment while also thinking their statement is far more profound or of more intellectual value than it actually is. You're about as controversial as a three-year-old

repeatedly saying 'bumhole' to try and offend his mother. Though the three-year-old probably has more chance of success with regards to the intent of his outburst.[/quote']

It's ok, having grown up in Aberdeenshire I'm quite used to the type of anti-intellectual conformist mentality the likes of you so easily succumb to, so I don't think your inability to respond to a genuine opinion without resorting to personal insults warrants any further discussion.

I actually set about NOT reading it purely because it was being advertised at every bus-stop in Aberdeen.

Plus I don't want to shit myself every time I'm out with thoughts of murder.

hahah i planned on reading it. . . but i too didnt want to shit myself when im out. . .

"hey isint that where that guy in the book was horrificly murdered?. . . *panics*"

fuck crime novels' date=' I absolutely despise these lowbrow trashy entertainment products because they abuse and cheapen a truly beautiful artform. Crap like this is nothing more than a disgusting, worthless layer of shit which obscures the true nature and value of literature and tricks the uneducated into believing they are reading something that matters. The same can be said of american cinema, and pop music. Everyone is free to read, view or listen to anything they want, but as long as there are idiots around to consume this cultural effluent, the arts will suffer and as a consequence so will society in general.[/quote']

Have you read the book, Stripey?

If not, how can you possibly pass judgement?

And there's a very good argument to say that if those things didn't exist, then art would suffer as a whole. You need commercial, mass approved stuff to balance out the edgy stuff, one simply can't exist without the other, as much as some people would like to deny it. Stop the popular arts, and the unpopular arts will die a horrible death from a lack of awareness of the arts as a whole.

I tackle literature just like I do music....sometimes I'll listen to Stockhausen' date=' sometimes T.Rex. Sometimes I'll read James Joyce, sometimes it's Damon Runyon...but I don't think the pillars which support the world will crumble , depending on which decision I make :)[/quote']

Reading James Joyce made my world crumble :(

(at least, reading Dubliners left me confused :p)

It's ok' date=' having grown up in Aberdeenshire I'm quite used to the type of anti-intellectual conformist mentality the likes of you so easily succumb to, so I don't think your inability to respond to a genuine opinion without resorting to personal insults warrants any further discussion.[/quote']

Ah, how clever, 'the likes' of me! You've twisted it so that I'm just one of the conformist herd, while you are an 'individual', with completely unique points that I could never possibly understand.

Apologies, I never realised how intellectual writing 'Fuck crime novels' is.

Anyway, it's not a personal insult, your comment was moronic, not least because a genre such as 'crime novels' is so broad as to ensure that (a) it is more than likely to have outstanding work contained within it, and (b) you couldn't possibly have knowledge of every book within the genre, meaning your attack is based on broad presumptions you couldn't possibly back up.

It wasn't a 'genuine opinion', it was an attempt to make yourself appear as some sort of prodigal black sheep, riding against public opinion using only your extraordinary intellectual skills (evidence of which wasn't apparent in your post). It smacks of pretentious narcissism.