aberdeen-music

Robbie Burns

Guest five years

Guest tv tanned

because he's one of the best poets the world has ever seen.

it is important to celebrate our culture and heritage.

Plus, Burns suppers are good entertainment.

Any excuse for a ceilidh is a good one.

Guest tv tanned
His mastery of language has clearly had a lasting effect on modern day grammar.

Are you implying that the use of Scots dialect, as was widespread in Burns' time, is something to be frowned upon?

There' s a big difference between Burns' use of dialect and colloquialisms and modern day grammar.

I don't want to get on my high horse but I always feel bemused by this, people seem to ask every year. Of course there should be day to celebrate Burns. What a ridiculous thing to find fault with in Scottish society at a time when there is so much else desperately wrong in this country.

To find out why: Read his poetry. Beautiful yet everyday, exciting, funny, bitingly satirical, poignant, fiercely honest and self-deprecating, awesome in its scope and power for someone from the 18th century who was born and remained for most of his life a tenant farmer and who died in his mid-thirties.

It is also completely missing the point to make a comparison with Shakespeare. The fact that there is not really a recognised 'Shakespeare Day' is more due to the fact that Shakespeare, rightly or wrongly, is the pre-eminent artist/poet/writer of imaginary literature in the western world - his influence runs so far into so many aspects of culture worldwide that a single day in his memory would essentially be superfluous. At the same time, English literature has also always been privileged over Scottish literature. Specifically Scottish literature - written in dialect- has far fewer luminaries. Without getting mixed up in meaningless nationalistic jingoism, this is another reason why Burns Night is so important.

But as everyone else has said it is a good excuse to get drunk and have a party, which is the tribute Burns would have wanted.

I used to be dismissive of Burns, due to only knowing the crowd-pleasers like 'Tam O'Shanter', 'To a Mouse' etc, but having made a bit more of an effort in the last few decades I now like a lot of his work, and do 'Now Westlin' Winds' live. I've a naff cover of 'Ae Fond Kiss' on the new CD-R, but just to keep my old father happy!

So..Burns:up:....Haggis Neeps & Tatties:up: Accompanying nips:up:

I don't want to get on my high horse but I always feel bemused by this' date=' people seem to ask every year. Of course there should be day to celebrate Burns. What a ridiculous thing to find fault with in Scottish society at a time when there is so much else desperately wrong in this country.

To find out why: Read his poetry. Beautiful yet everyday, exciting, funny, bitingly satirical, poignant, fiercely honest and self-deprecating, awesome in its scope and power for someone from the 18th century who was born and remained for most of his life a tenant farmer and who died in his mid-thirties.

It is also completely missing the point to make a comparison with Shakespeare. The fact that there is not really a recognised 'Shakespeare Day' is more due to the fact that Shakespeare, rightly or wrongly, is the pre-eminent artist/poet/writer of imaginary literature in the western world - his influence runs so far into so many aspects of culture worldwide that a single day in his memory would essentially be superfluous. At the same time, English literature has also always been privileged over Scottish literature. Specifically Scottish literature - written in dialect- has far fewer luminaries. Without getting mixed up in meaningless nationalistic jingoism, this is another reason why Burns Night is so important.

But as everyone else has said it is a good excuse to get drunk and have a party, which is the tribute Burns would have wanted.[/quote']

/\ what he said, it's important that we cling onto any culture we have left. Plus Burns was a notorious drinker and whorer, so I salute him.

bbc national radio 1 cares this is from 1am to 3am today & you care hear all the tracks online for a week:-

::: 23/01/2006

::: Burns Night Special

Ballboy - 'A Man's A Man For A' That' (White)

International Airport - 'Comin Thro' The Page' (White)

Marcia Blaine School For Girls - 'The Devil's Awa' Wi The Exciseman' (White)

Camera Obscura - 'I Love My Jean' - (Elephant)

Snowblood - 'Tragic Fragment' (White)

Cymbol - 'To A Mouse' (White)

Camera Obscura - 'Cock Up Your Beaver' (Recorded at Peel Acres for the John Peel Show)

RAAR - 'Pegasus At Wanlockhead' (White)

Wilson Tan - 'Ae Fond Kiss' (White)

Sluts of Trust - 'Why Should We Idly Waste Our Prime' (White)

Nimrod 33 'I've Sung My Heart Out In The Highlands Because My Heart Is In The Highlands' (White)

Aphrodisiacs - 'Red Red Rose' - (White)

Camera Obscura - 'Where Heather Lies' - (Recorded at Peel Acres for the John Peel Show)

Roxanne Stephens - 'Address To The Deil' (White)

Chris from the Mutts - 'Winter: A Dirge'

Wounded Knees - 'One Night As I Did Wander Into Out Over The Forth' (White)

Angus Adaadat - 'Address To The Haggis' (White)

Camera Obscura - 'Ae Fond Kiss' - (Recorded at Peel Acres for the John Peel Show)

Lucky Luke ' O Whistle And I'll Come To You My Lad' (White)

Glasgow Choir (circa 1940s) - 'Blythe Hae I Ben On The Hill' - (BBC Recording)

Mother & The Addicts - 'Bannockburn Battle of Interpretation Collective Missile Part 4' (White)

Belle & Sebastian - 'Ye Banks & Braes Address To The Toothach' (White)

Shinmeat - 'Tamo'shanter' (White)

Delgados - 'Parcel of Rogues' (White)

Glasgow Choir (circa 1940s) - 'My Heart Is Sair I Duarna Tell' - (BBC Recording)

Camera Obscura - 'Red Red Rose' (Elephant)

Lord Reith - 'The We Herd' - (BBC Recording)

The Robert Burns - 'Afton Water' - (Lismor Recordings)

Eddie Reader - 'John Anderson My Jo' (Rough Trade)

Ross Kennedy - 'Extempore & Saint Stephen's House' - (Linn Records)

Izu - 'Auld Lang Syne' (White)

Are you implying that the use of Scots dialect' date=' as was widespread in Burns' time, is something to be frowned upon?

There' s a big difference between Burns' use of dialect and colloquialisms and modern day grammar.[/quote']

Nope, totally wrong. It was more of a sarcastic joke due to the fact the guy who started the thread questioning Burn's had said "is he worth an dedicated day".

On topic, I think he's completely worthy of a dedicated day. This is probably due to the fact I've had the idea of Robbie Burns drilled into me from birth, (my Grandparents live 5 minutes away from his house in Ayr and my Grandfather used to do work for the Burns Heritage group). At the end of the day, Scottish cultures beginning to be steamrolled over by the idea of "Britishness", which at the end of the day, basically means "Englishness". Anything that positively represents Scotland's independent culture is a good thing.

Guest Phantomsmasher
bbc national radio 1 cares this is from 1am to 3am today & you care hear all the tracks online for a week:-

Ballboy - 'A Man's A Man For A' That' (White)

International Airport - 'Comin Thro' The Page' (White)

Marcia Blaine School For Girls - 'The Devil's Awa' Wi The Exciseman' (White)

Camera Obscura - 'I Love My Jean' - (Elephant)

Snowblood - 'Tragic Fragment' (White)

Cymbol - 'To A Mouse' (White)

Camera Obscura - 'Cock Up Your Beaver' (Recorded at Peel Acres for the John Peel Show)

RAAR - 'Pegasus At Wanlockhead' (White)

Wilson Tan - 'Ae Fond Kiss' (White)

Sluts of Trust - 'Why Should We Idly Waste Our Prime' (White)

Nimrod 33 'I've Sung My Heart Out In The Highlands Because My Heart Is In The Highlands' (White)

Aphrodisiacs - 'Red Red Rose' - (White)

Camera Obscura - 'Where Heather Lies' - (Recorded at Peel Acres for the John Peel Show)

Roxanne Stephens - 'Address To The Deil' (White)

Chris from the Mutts - 'Winter: A Dirge'

Wounded Knees - 'One Night As I Did Wander Into Out Over The Forth' (White)

Angus Adaadat - 'Address To The Haggis' (White)

Camera Obscura - 'Ae Fond Kiss' - (Recorded at Peel Acres for the John Peel Show)

Lucky Luke ' O Whistle And I'll Come To You My Lad' (White)

Glasgow Choir (circa 1940s) - 'Blythe Hae I Ben On The Hill' - (BBC Recording)

Mother & The Addicts - 'Bannockburn Battle of Interpretation Collective Missile Part 4' (White)

Belle & Sebastian - 'Ye Banks & Braes Address To The Toothach' (White)

Shinmeat - 'Tamo'shanter' (White)

Delgados - 'Parcel of Rogues' (White)

Glasgow Choir (circa 1940s) - 'My Heart Is Sair I Duarna Tell' - (BBC Recording)

Camera Obscura - 'Red Red Rose' (Elephant)

Lord Reith - 'The We Herd' - (BBC Recording)

The Robert Burns - 'Afton Water' - (Lismor Recordings)

Eddie Reader - 'John Anderson My Jo' (Rough Trade)

Ross Kennedy - 'Extempore & Saint Stephen's House' - (Linn Records)

Izu - 'Auld Lang Syne' (White)

The Snowblood and Camera Obscura renditions sound quite interesting...

That said, I've never been effected by burns day, nor really ever seen the relevance of celebrating it. I will admit that he was an influential part of Scottish writing, but in all honesty I don't enjoy his writings one ounce, nor do I feel any form of national pride towards this country.

I always got to the semi finals of burns poetry reading competitions at Primary School but never ever won.

Still know two verses of To a Moose, but my speciality was Willie Wassle. Cant remember that one any more.

although Burns Night is wednesday. Why today?

I think it's obviously still relavant. it even infiltrates high street shopping culture - anne summers current 10% off deal upon reciting burns poetry, to coincide with their carpet burns day slogan. I love haggis neaps n tatties and celebrating a man who was at the forefront of scots culture in his time can only be a good thing when trying to interest younger generations in past, present and future scots music and art. the guy is also more rock n roll than many a floppy haired chart bothering group these days as well.

snowblood cover should be interesting :)