• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neu!

King Crimson

Gong

Ozric Tentacles

Magma

I also detest the smiths. all their songs sound the same to me

Can I suggest that King Crimson were never underated.....when I was still at school it was cool as fuck to be seen with a crimson album under your arm.

Did you know that Magma was snooker player Steve Davis's fav band.

Oh my word, I am not alone! I think Ride are one of the most underrated bands ever in my opinion. I got into them about 3 years ago, and they are now one of my favourite bands of all time, right up there. I've got pretty much the entire back catalogue and a lot of live stuff. Phenomenal band. People knocked their change in musical direction over the years, but that's what I think makes them better. Songs like 'Taste' 'Like A Daydream' 'Leave Them All Behind' etc are stunning. I also think 'Carnival Of Light' is one of the most underrated albums ever. It was released circa 'Definitely Maybe' when the band were falling apart, but I think it's great. The unreleased tracks from those '94 sessions are ace as well. The songs sound magic acoustic too. Andy Bell and Mark Gardener are a great talent. Mark Gardener's debut album is promising, and Andy Bell's contribution to Oasis belies the fact he's 'just the bassist'. What a waste!

Another band I think are underrated are Love. Although, admittedly they were big at one point, but I wish more people would go out and buy their records. Arthur Lee's the boy!

I can't believe someone thinks all The Smiths songs sound the same!!! Away and stick on 'Strangeways' and behave!

Oh my word' date=' I am not alone! I think Ride are one of the most underrated bands ever in my opinion. I got into them about 3 years ago, and they are now one of my favourite bands of all time, right up there. I've got pretty much the entire back catalogue and a lot of live stuff. Phenomenal band. People knocked their change in musical direction over the years, but that's what I think makes them better. Songs like 'Taste' 'Like A Daydream' 'Leave Them All Behind' etc are stunning. I also think 'Carnival Of Light' is one of the most underrated albums ever. It was released circa 'Definitely Maybe' when the band were falling apart, but I think it's great. The unreleased tracks from those '94 sessions are ace as well. The songs sound magic acoustic too. Andy Bell and Mark Gardener are a great talent. Mark Gardener's debut album is promising, and Andy Bell's contribution to Oasis belies the fact he's 'just the bassist'. What a waste!

[/quote']

I love Ride as well, Carnival of Light being my fav, but what the hell is Andy Bell doing playing bass, get on the bloody guitar min!!!!

Guest bluesxman
Oh my word' date=' I am not alone! I think Ride are one of the most underrated bands ever in my opinion. I got into them about 3 years ago, and they are now one of my favourite bands of all time, right up there. I've got pretty much the entire back catalogue and a lot of live stuff. Phenomenal band. People knocked their change in musical direction over the years, but that's what I think makes them better. Songs like 'Taste' 'Like A Daydream' 'Leave Them All Behind' etc are stunning. I also think 'Carnival Of Light' is one of the most underrated albums ever. It was released circa 'Definitely Maybe' when the band were falling apart, but I think it's great. The unreleased tracks from those '94 sessions are ace as well. The songs sound magic acoustic too. Andy Bell and Mark Gardener are a great talent. Mark Gardener's debut album is promising, and Andy Bell's contribution to Oasis belies the fact he's 'just the bassist'. What a waste![/quote']

As an old f**ker who was around when they existed, I loved Ride, mainly around the Nowhere album period, was lucky enough to see them at The Music Hall. Going Blank Again had moments of greatness, i.e. the phenomenal Leave Them All Behind and I saw them at The Capitol on that tour with a certain Verve supporting, to be honest I found them lacking the power they had on the first album, probably due to the poppier nature of the songs. Verve actually outdid them I felt. By the time of Carnival Of Light, I agree they were getting interesting again but unfortunately they existed mainly in the time of the short lived 'shoegazing' scene which was much derided at the time and so with teh emergence of Britpop and especially Oasis they became forgotten. Shoegazing seems to have a new found life through peoples rediscovery of bands such as Ride, Slowdive, etc, which is pleasing for me because Slowdive were another very underrated band. In fact there is my contribution to this thread - SLOWDIVE!

thing is with ride all the ep's pre Nowhere and all the albums are very different animals. All of it sounds like Ride BUT they never released the same thing. Such a great band. Imean at the time they were pretty big but I would say were still underrated.

i love Tarantula as well...its a great album. I also managed to be one of only 1000 ppl that got Mark Gardeners first post Ride release which was magdalen sky on Shifty Disco records.

I have to admit (and my girlfriend at the time would too) that i was probably as far in love with a man without wanting to have sex with him, with Mark Gardener.

Time machine, how do i get his solo album thats just released? markgardener.com doesnt say how.

I haven't heard the Fire Engines' date=' but from what I've read, I don't think they were as ambitious as Orange Juice or the Associates, both of whom had hit singles. It's been said that Orange Juice virtually invented indie. The Fire Engines may have had good ideas and good songs, but their cultural impact was nil...other than inspiring "Take Me Out" by Franz, for which we can thank them

I haven't heard Win either. Didn't they feature members of other Postcard Records bands?[/quote']

The Fire Engines were East Coast to Postcards West. They were alledged invited to sign for Postcard but decided to set up their own label (Pop: Aural). The fact that their impact (according to you) was zero would surely give them greater claim to the under rated tag than OJ. :]

Fire Engines had a harder edge. I liked them both, but FE were cooler. The Velvets to the OJ's Dead to continue my east/west anallogy.

Russell Burn and Dave Henderson (of FE) went on to form Win (which went out on Postcard supremo's (I forget his name at present) next label Swamplands). They were just lush, pure pop. They even featured on a Tenents Lager ad soundtrack!

There was a Rev-o-la comp called Fond which kind of rolled all there stuff up but it's long deleted. If you see acopy let me know cos some scumbag nicked mine (and half my cd collection) about 5 years back and I've never managed to track it down again. Domino have released something and they have a video of Get Up And Use Me

http://www.dominorecordco.com/site/index.php?page=multimedia&artistID=211&view=videos

HTH.

The Fire Engines were East Coast to Postcards West. They were alledged invited to sign for Postcard but decided to set up their own label (Pop: Aural). The fact that their impact (according to you) was zero would surely give them greater claim to the under rated tag than OJ. :]

Russell Burn and Dave Henderson (of FE) went on to form Win (which went out on Postcard supremo's (I forget his name at present) next label Swamplands). They were just lush' date=' pure pop. They even featured on a Tenents Lager ad soundtrack!

[/quote']

The Fire Engines may have been under-rated at the time, but Orange Juice have been under-rated by history. That's what I meant.

Alan Horne was the Postcard supremo. I got most of my information on this from an article on "The Sound of Young Scotland" in Uncut a few months back, but "Rip It Up and Start Again" by Simon Reynolds looks like an essential purchase. Presumably it covers Orange Juice et al considering it's named after an Orange Juice song

I'm loving all this Ride discussion, delighted! A few of my mates in their early 30s were well into Ride/Verve 'back in the day'. I think 16 times they saw Ride or something like that! Anyway, they find it quite cool/comical that I'm obsessed by them!! One of the geezers actually suggested I try Slowdive, so bought the 'Catch The Breeze - Anthology' before Christmas. It's pretty cool, although very 'shoegazerish'! I think Ride's problem was being tarred with the 'shoegazing' brush, when, at least in my opinion, they were miles more than that! I mean, 'Smile' and 'Nowhere' could possibly described as a wee bit shoegazerish, but I reckon My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive are better examples. 'Carnival Of Light' would certainly have suffered from this pigeonholing! It's a great indie/rock record in my opinion. 'Crown Of Creation', 'Birdman' and 'Only Now' are gems!

In relation to Mark Gardener's debut 'These Beautiful Ghosts', I bought it on Limited Edition. It's getting released in the US this year, and should follow in the UK later (would have to check). Try www.oxfordmusic.net. It was supposed to come with a DVD, but this'll come out soon! Gardener actually sent a letter of apology to the fans who bought it on limited edition! There's a couple of great tracks, particularly 'Snow In Mexico' and the trippy 'Gravity Flow'. I hope it gets released over here and does well!

is it the same as six or is it alot less progressive? simpler' date=' like lantern?[/quote']

Little Kix is very 'James Bond' like pop songs, big strings and high production. You could probably get it for about 10. There last record, Kleptomania, is more rockier than lantern, not as progressive as six. good album though, plus because it was released after they split, it has three CD's, the album, 1 cd for b-sides and one for old demo's/live recording/rare tracks, hence the 18 pricetag. :)

I'm loving all this Ride discussion' date=' delighted! A few of my mates in their early 30s were well into Ride/Verve 'back in the day'. I think 16 times they saw Ride or something like that! Anyway, they find it quite cool/comical that I'm obsessed by them!! One of the geezers actually suggested I try Slowdive, so bought the 'Catch The Breeze - Anthology' before Christmas. It's pretty cool, although very 'shoegazerish'! I think Ride's problem was being tarred with the 'shoegazing' brush, when, at least in my opinion, they were miles more than that! I mean, 'Smile' and 'Nowhere' could possibly described as a wee bit shoegazerish, but I reckon My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive are better examples. 'Carnival Of Light' would certainly have suffered from this pigeonholing! It's a great indie/rock record in my opinion. 'Crown Of Creation', 'Birdman' and 'Only Now' are gems!

In relation to Mark Gardener's debut 'These Beautiful Ghosts', I bought it on Limited Edition. It's getting released in the US this year, and should follow in the UK later (would have to check). Try [url']www.oxfordmusic.net. It was supposed to come with a DVD, but this'll come out soon! Gardener actually sent a letter of apology to the fans who bought it on limited edition! There's a couple of great tracks, particularly 'Snow In Mexico' and the trippy 'Gravity Flow'. I hope it gets released over here and does well!

What do you think to Tarantula? I think its a great album. I love the Mark track..."A Secret Place"

It is good' date=' but you can tell Andy's heard and fallen in love with Oasis.[/quote']

Thats VERY true BUT i also think that he is a WAYYY better songwriter than Noel Gallgher and is a tad more varied. When he is more rocking and aggressive he is way more and same with mellower. I always thought Hurricane # 1 were awesome as well...Both albums.

Little Kix is very 'James Bond' like pop songs' date=' big strings and high production. You could probably get it for about 10. There last record, Kleptomania, is more rockier than lantern, not as progressive as six. good album though, plus because it was released after they split, it has three CD's, the album, 1 cd for b-sides and one for old demo's/live recording/rare tracks, hence the 18 pricetag. :)[/quote']

Thanks, I think ill pick up these two.

Oi!! Lucifer, I want my Attack of the Grey Lantern back as well!