aberdeen-music

Most Underated Band Of All Time??

lynettejc

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magazine. Way' date=' way ahead of their time.

[/quote']

Agreed. Too clever by half, you might say. The Associates are another band who could release songs now, and they wouldn't sound old or even retro, but fresh or even futuristic

I was gonna say Talking Heads...

...but it's five stars all-round for their re-released albums in Uncut this month

so I was then gonna say Orange Juice...

...but on the front of their "Glasgow School" compilation, Alex Kapranos and Stuart Murdoch totally fawn over them

so I was then gonna say The Wedding Present...

...but I saw "The Wedding Present" written in tippex on a desk on Floor 2 of the Queen Mother library yesterday

so I'll say The Replacements

You lucky chap' date=' that would have been great. Yeah, the Buzzcocks recorded that song too, who did the original, out of interest?

"I don't give a blue fuck......I love you, you dummy!"[/quote']

I think you'll find it 'Lick off My Decals Baby' by Captain Beefheart. When the Buzzcocks did this it was Howard Devoto that what sang it wasn't it? May be a slight connection with Magazine then.

To popTart: what about the Fire Engines. They were my favourite 'scottish' band of that period. And Win were pretty under-rated as well. I loved that 'Uh, tears Baby' album.

I would once have said Gang of Four were under rated as well except that they seem to flavour of the month. So mebbe just at the time I suppose.

Most under rated grunge band would have to be Killdozer though. Saw them in Embra late eighties and they were ace. Loved their version of Janet Jackson's 'Nasty' as well.

Shed seven were too.

What? Are you mental? Awful band. Standing outside the 2nd stage at Leeds in 2000 waiting for The Wannadies to come on while Shed Seven finished their set was one of the worst 10 mins of my life. Horrible songs. Just horrible.

Normally I wouldn't stick my oar in to this type of thread, each to their own and all that, but shed seven? Dear god man, I thought you had taste.

Fuck' date=' you're bang on the money with that one. It's kinda scary to think that Wide Open Space was 10 years ago :|[/quote']

that was on attack of the grey lantern. thats a great album BUT the follow up "six" is a masterpiece...its fucking amazing and they were way better and less wanky at pushing rock music on than radiohead EVER have been. there's no justice.

What? Are you mental? Awful band. Standing outside the 2nd stage at Leeds in 2000 waiting for The Wannadies to come on while Shed Seven finished their set was one of the worst 10 mins of my life. Horrible songs. Just horrible.

Normally I wouldn't stick my oar in to this type of thread' date=' each to their own and all that, but shed seven? Dear god man, I thought you had taste.[/quote']

I think i could show you some stuff by them that would change your mind.

To popTart: what about the Fire Engines. They were my favourite 'scottish' band of that period. And Win were pretty under-rated as well. I loved that 'Uh' date=' tears Baby' album.

[/quote']

I haven't heard the Fire Engines, but from what I've read, I don't think they were as ambitious as Orange Juice or the Associates, both of whom had hit singles. It's been said that Orange Juice virtually invented indie. The Fire Engines may have had good ideas and good songs, but their cultural impact was nil...other than inspiring "Take Me Out" by Franz, for which we can thank them

I haven't heard Win either. Didn't they feature members of other Postcard Records bands?

It's progressive but just doesn't seem to click as well.

I agree and there's a bit of a lazy lounge sound on some songs too like Love Is... and Bond theme style bombast on We Are Boys (which also has cringe-worthy lyrics too!). It's too restrained i think, you just want them to break out Six-style after a few songs. I Can Only Disappoint U is lush though. I'd agree it's worth getting on the cheap. Anybody got Kleptomania?