aberdeen-music

Most Over-rated band of all time?

Lemonade

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er.. Smells Like Teen Spirit' date=' etc?

Am I missing the point here? Are we talking about bands that have a disproportionate amount of accolade when compared to their levels of musicality and talent, or is this The Thread For Bands You Personally Don't Like?[/quote']

Personally I am of the opinion that Led Zep were overblown pompous screechy nonsense - though I admit they a couple of good tunes, but I don't think they were the pioneering or life-changing band that they are hailed to be, hence both overrated and that I don't personally like them.

Guest neil ex
I don't like Fugazi and I find Godspeed Your Black Emporor boring.

Same with me. though I've never given Fugazi a proper chance.

I'm in Fugazi! 8)

I quite like Liam Gallagher. I think he's pretty funny.

Right you are' date=' then...

Taking the nearest example from the previous post - the Beatles. I don't particularly like their output, and don't waste my time looking for it, but that's my [i']preference, which differs from my opinion that they have produced literally hundreds of great tunes that I would struggle to compose myself.

Then again, give me an accoustic and I'll write the next Oasis album for you. In ten minutes. It would be just as bad as anything they've ever done, but then again I hope I'd have the integrity not to inflict my crap compositions on the general public for mere personal financial gain.

The musical world we currently inhabit is in a state of delusion, where the intentions (or lack thereof) of our current crop of musical celebrities (and I use the word in it's rapidly growing perjorative sense) are being mistaken for actual deeds. If such people are regarded as gods, shouldn't they give us the musical equivalent of changing water into wine once in a while, rather than practicing their conjuring tricks at us? Add that to the current trend for glorifying bands that don't threaten to challenge our intellectual and artistic aspirations (1. "They are great". 2. "I could do what they are doing". 3. "Therefore, I am great".), and the difference between dislike and discernment becomes clearer.

I like Chick Corea. You don't. But therefore overrated? I think not.

Don't confuse the two in the other direction either. I don't like Oasis. But I can understand if you do. I wouldn't agree, but I'd understand.

Sorry, rambling a bit. Really should be working, so haven't really thought this through as much as I'd like. Read between the lines and you'll get it.

Of the three bands I listed, the beatles i like (their earlier output) but I dont feel they invented pop music as they are credited, thats like saying Hendry Ford invented the motor car.

Oasis I dont get at all, they wrote a couple of catchy tunes with more that a little help from the beatles but are so so overrated.

U2.... I have no comment

No' date=' look, I just used you as the nearest example, I didn't say you were wrong or anything, the point I was making to [i']everyone was...

Oh, never mind. Welcome to The Thread For Bands You Personally Don't Like. Knock yourselves out.

Yes but by using my post as an example implied that I was just listing the bands I dont like, which isnt the case, thats all.