aberdeen-music

Bands That Get Better With Every Album

Kai

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Faith No More probably achieved this if you take out the last een "Album of the Year"

We Care A Lot - Introduce Yourself - The Real Thing - Angel Dust - King For A Day....

Possibly Super Furries as well...

As mind - blowingly fantastic an album King For A Day is I would never say it is better than the genre - bending / defining masterpeice that is "Angel Dust." I think many would agree with this.

Album of the year is also my second fave FNM album.

In my opinion.

It's all relative to what you like.

In terms of a band "getting better with every album" I would agree FNM at least strived to make every album different and raise the bar each time with every release. They were never happy to rest on their laurels.

As mind - blowingly fantastic an album King For A Day is I would never say it is better than the genre - bending / defining masterpeice that is "Angel Dust." I think many would agree with this.

Album of the year is also my second fave FNM album.

In my opinion.

It's all relative to what you like.

In terms of a band "getting better with every album" I would agree FNM at least strived to make every album different and raise the bar each time with every release. They were never happy to rest on their laurels.

Cool. All about opinions. Don't get me wrong, Angel Dust is one of my favourite albums ever, I just thought when I heard KFAD they were really stretching themselves again. Evidence, King for a day, Just a man, Star AD, I mean I'd never heard them do anything like those songs before. Next level.

I'd put Album of the year below Angel Dust in my top 3.

The Bouncing Souls, CKY, X-Japan, Propagandhi, Against me, Rise Against, Strung Out...

I think all of these have defanitely improved over their albums. I did think there would be a lot more though. It's more generally punk bands, who have started off really shit then gradually learn how to write that are like that. It's only once they have released albums lower than the last that they begin to get known(to name), since they have reached their peak. Naming a band who's first 4-5 albums have all improved on each other is easy...

The Bouncing Souls' date=' CKY, X-Japan, Propagandhi, Against me, Rise Against, Strung Out...

I think all of these have defanitely improved over their albums[/quote']

Not really. Take Strung Out, for example. Do you really think Exile In Oblivion is better than Twisted By Design? And haven't Rise Against only released two albums?

Depending on what you thought of their last album (I thought it was awesome) Blink 182...

You could say Refused but I'm not sure if they have three albums...although there is certainly an albums worth of older material (EP's etc) out there, while I sorta prefer 'Songs to fuel the flame', TSOPTC really was a band that had progressed from an average 10 a penny hardcore band to something pretty influential...the last Blink album for example is full of rip offs from that album (maybe why I like it :D)

Most other bands I like have hit peaks, or had a few dodgy albums hidden in there somewhere, although most bands I like only ever released a few EP's and an album at most so are exempt from this contest....

I would agree with rammstein. Each album is a belter, and just when you think it can't be topped they make an even better one!

I would say the same is also true of spineshank, with the three albums that they released.

On the faith no more subject I would have to agree with angel dust being the peak, but that is not to take away from the latter two albums as they are also amazing.

Guest Page 99

I was going to say converge, but 'You Fail Me' is no where as good as Jane Doe or Petitioning The Empty Sky.

So... I'll say Discodance Axis:

Ulterior ---> Jou Hou ---> The Inaliable Dreamless :love:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
So... I'll say Discodance Axis:

Ulterior ---> Jou Hou ---> The Inaliable Dreamless :love:

When I saw you'd posted, I knew you were going to say D.A.

Recently got some old, rare D.A. stuff on tape, demo, rehearsal, live etc. Care for a copy?

Not really. Take Strung Out' date=' for example. Do you really think Exile In Oblivion is better than Twisted By Design? And haven't Rise Against only released two albums?[/quote']

Yeah, that's a fair point, but I do kinda like Exile in Oblivion better. If not better, it's a step better song writing as a whole.

Rise Against do have 3 albums, the first(s/t) is just pretty shit compared to the other 2, and left unknown. The thing is with them is i really doubt their next will beat the current, which fits in with what i was saying before. Actually, i prefer Revs anyway..hehe...

What about Blaze, or Children of Bodom?

If you can count EPs, what about Black Atom?!? I'd say so

Guest Savant
Not really. Take Strung Out' date=' for example. Do you really think Exile In Oblivion is better than Twisted By Design? [/quote']

Thank you. And neither's An American Paradox.

Guest Savant
I disagree. I prefer Identity Crisis to Illusion of Safety. TAITA is definitely the best though.

I think Identity Crisis doesn't have as many good songs as the others, but Illusion Of Safety is better (IMO) than TAITA...

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Haha Yes I am going through a bit of an obsessive phase with them. That tape sounds great' date=' a copy of it it would be lovely.[/quote']

You could do a hell of a lot worse than D.A. Did you ever hear "East-West blast test"? Basically, Chris Dodge wrote and recorded a heap of guitar parts, then sent them to Dave Witte and got him to record drums to go along with it. The results were top-notch. A blazing 24-track CD, instrumentals all the way.

Anyway, the tape decks need a good clean, I'll give you a shout when they've been repaired.

Alkaline Trio kind of fit into this. In my opinion Crimson is their most ambitious album but Good Mourning and From Here To Infermery are sorta on the same level, but that's just what I think. Although Maybe I'll Catch Fire is a decent album it's nothing compared to albums that followed.

Guest Savant
Alkaline Trio kind of fit into this. In my opinion Crimson is their most ambitious album but Good Mourning and From Here To Infermery are sorta on the same level' date=' but that's just what I think. Although Maybe I'll Catch Fire is a decent album it's nothing compared to albums that followed.[/quote']

Yeah so many people say that i'll catch fire is ace! i don't see it...

Infirmary is the best i think - just for quality of songs.