aberdeen-music

Bands That Get Better With Every Album

Kai

Yeah so many people say that i'll catch fire is ace! i don't see it...

Infirmary is the best i think - just for quality of songs.

It's all about opinions, as with Thrice.

For me, with Alkaline Trio the order from best is: Crimson, Good Mourning, Maybe I'll Catch Fire, From Here to Infirmary, Godammit.

It's all about personal taste though.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Page 99
You could do a hell of a lot worse than D.A. Did you ever hear "East-West blast test"? Basically' date=' Chris Dodge wrote and recorded a heap of guitar parts, then sent them to Dave Witte and got him to record drums to go along with it. The results were top-notch. A blazing 24-track CD, instrumentals all the way.[/quote']

Nah never heard it, but it sounds pretty cool. Wittie's Drumming is outstanding on most of the stuff he does, even the Burnt By The Sun records have his crazed blastbeats on them.

i dont think you can ever really say they improved, as so much of it depends on your opinions and views of their albums

muse is a good example, with showbiz - origon of symmetry - absolution, they have definately got more ambitious with each one and tried to impove the sound, but it is a personal opinion whether you prefer the sounds of absolution to symmetry...

radioheads first three albums all improved on each other, pablo honey was an excellent album with some brilliant songs on it, the bends improved and sounded a lot more individual and 'radiohead', then ok computer is one of the best albums about (in my opinion, and from quite a few of the polls you see in magazines/on channel 4)

whether things went up from there or down is down to whether you liked the change in direction they took after that

metallicas first three albums did that too, kill em all is a brilliant thrash album, ride the lightning improved on it and had more of the 'metallica' sound, and master of puppets is one of the finest metal albums of all time, what came after is a personal opinion

David

muse would be the only one i think have really done it. Ive been thinking about this for a while now and i did think about J.E.W but i preferr the last album to Futures, Blink were another one but i still think overall enema was the best album just purely from a pop punk view ive always seen that as the perfect pop punk album. Slipknot could be a contender as well, as could Greenday depending on what you really want out of them both i think have released their best work in their last albums.

I was thinking Radiohead but Kid A just isn't anywhere as brilliant as OK computer.

Although my opinion on this changes, jsut now i think Kid A is better than OK computer, so i think they did keep improving for their first 4 albums but amnesiac and HTTT are jsut a little bit below Ok Computer and Kid A

The Bouncing Souls' date=' CKY, Against me!

[/quote']

The Bouncing Souls' latest album was a let down, no way better than How I Spent My Summer Vacation or the BYO Split. CKY's latest album (although great) is nothing against IDR, and I'd say that Against Me! have been a stream of constant brilliance, I don't think their latest material beats their earlier material, or vice versa.

I can't think of a single one.

A lot is down to preference...I disagree with the SOAD(Toxicity!), NIRVANA(Bleach!) and Slipknot(S/T + VOL.3) suggestions

The first one Thought of is Tool, but im not sure if I like Lateralus more than Aenima!

Nile have improved from Album to Album....Metallica up to justice, then it got shit!

Pantera up to Reinventing The Steel...Deftones, although I can understand why someone would prefer the energy on the first two albums. Qeens of the stone age, Meshuggah?

I normally prefer band's earlier stuff, it has just become an assumption now for me checking out bands that the earlier stuff will be better!

Meshuggah?

Meshuggah all depends on personal preferences really. I can't really judge from as far back as Concatonations Collapse and None because I haven't heard them yet, but I'd agree as far as getting better with every album. Although, as I said, personal preference. Lots of people on their boards swear by DEA and Choasphere era Meshuggah.

With bands like Meshuggah it's kind of hard to really form an opinion, because Nothing, I, and Catch 33 are so different from their earlier stuff, what with the progression of sound and experimenting. Still, you've got to wonder what they are brewing for the next album. Word around the camp fire is that they are going to try and incoporate some of the faster eliments of Choasphere with the material on I and Catch 33... :love:

The White Stripes have become progressively developed a completely unique sense of character and their style is like no other nowadays. I'd say that they've been consistently very good with their debut, De Stijl and White Blood Cells but with Elephant they began to experiment with Meg's solo performances and the brilliant but difficult Ball and Biscuit. I just recently bought Get Behind Me Satan and it has gone on a complete tangent from anything before. It's definitely difficult but, in retrospect, worth all your time and effort. The teasing of The Nurse in leading to trademark White Stripes' "bash cymbals together and things" is fantastic and the Stripes have definitely found a knack for pacing. There is variety with Little Ghost, a charming little country piece, and there is a fantastic jazz number (Instinct Blues) with fantastic crashing guitars and cymbals.

It seems ridiculous that noone has brought them up.

Guest bluesxman
The White Stripes have become progressively developed a completely unique sense of character and their style is like no other nowadays. I'd say that they've been consistently very good with their debut' date=' De Stijl and White Blood Cells but with Elephant they began to experiment with Meg's solo performances and the brilliant but difficult Ball and Biscuit. I just recently bought Get Behind Me Satan and it has gone on a complete tangent from anything before. It's definitely difficult but, in retrospect, worth all your time and effort. The teasing of The Nurse in leading to trademark White Stripes' "bash cymbals together and things" is fantastic and the Stripes have definitely found a knack for pacing. There is variety with Little Ghost, a charming little country piece, and there is a fantastic jazz number (Instinct Blues) with fantastic crashing guitars and cymbals.

It seems ridiculous that noone has brought them up.[/quote']

I was going to but then realised that White Blood Cells for me is a downward blip between De Stijl and Elephant. Ball and Biscuit is awesome! On a par with their version of Death Letter.