aberdeen-music

Conor Oberst apologise after john peel / make povert history remarks

He showed nothing but complete contempt for the audience, with angry rants directed towards both them and the festival - he had stepped-up to take Ryan Adams headline slot after he had cancelled his appearance, which led to some form of abuse/heckling from numerous people within the crowd - towards the MakePovertyHistory campaign which was publicised by the festival, and also made several remarks about John Peel, one of which suggested that he was a coke head.

As far as the drunken bum part is concerned, you will find his dependencies lean towards coke these days.

Make Poverty History is a joke.

John Peel, to be honest Oberst can say what he likes, who really gives a shit if Peel is dead or not. Wooooo Peel's untouchable, he was just a man for fuck's sake, there's bound to be some people who disliked him.

Oberst=Drunken bum. Good. He's still a fucking genius songwriter.

Make Poverty History is a joke.

John Peel' date=' to be honest Oberst can say what he likes, who really gives a shit if Peel is dead or not. Wooooo Peel's untouchable, he was just a man for fuck's sake, there's bound to be some people who disliked him.

Oberst=Drunken bum. Good. He's still a fucking genius songwriter.[/quote']

give this man a bagel :up:

Guest obsessivedesire

nah sorry. what an absolute fuckhead.

the guy is a first class prick anyway.

how can you not like John Peel anyway? What did he ever do wrong? Wasnt like he put himself in any position not to be liked.

His music is absolute twaddle and anyone that likes it is lying to themsleves!! The fucker cant even sing. Listen to Nick Drake. You wont listen to Oberst again.

nah sorry. what an absolute fuckhead.

the guy is a first class prick anyway.

how can you not like John Peel anyway? What did he ever do wrong? Wasnt like he put himself in any position not to be liked.

His music is absolute twaddle and anyone that likes it is lying to themsleves!! The fucker cant even sing. Listen to Nick Drake. You wont listen to Oberst again.

I don't mind the guys music, I bought the last album and quite liked it, but I think he acted like a total arsehole this weekend :down: Even if he didn't think much of John Peel, onstage at a gig where the tent was NAMED AFTER THE GUY, and Peel's family is in attendance, is hardly the place to air these opinions.

Apparently he also goaded the crowd alot and called them a bunch of smelly hippies. The same smelly hippies that are spending hard earned to buy his CDs and come to his shows.

I don't mind the guys music' date=' I bought the last album and quite liked it, but I think he acted like a total arsehole this weekend :down: Even if he didn't think much of John Peel, onstage at a gig where the tent was NAMED AFTER THE GUY, and Peel's family is in attendance, is hardly the place to air these opinions.

Apparently he also goaded the crowd alot and called them a bunch of smelly hippies. The same smelly hippies that are spending hard earned to buy his CDs and come to his shows.[/quote']

Paragraph 1 i agree with wholeheartedly. But, paragraph 2. I'm all for slagging off smelly hippies at Glasto.

he's apologised for having an opinion...oh well

ah, you mean an uninformed rant ?

(he later went onto apologise saying "I never met the man"...blah blah)

I never met john peel, but can safely say he changed my life with the music he put infront of me, now, can you slag someone off you didn't know, call them a coke head etc only on knowing what music the man played to you ?

no.

that's not an opinion, it's a lie, and a rant.

ah' date=' you mean an uninformed rant ?

(he later went onto apologise saying "I never met the man"...blah blah)

I never met john peel, but can safely say he changed my life with the music he put infront of me, now, can you slag someone off you didn't know, call them a coke head etc only on knowing what music the man played to you ?

no.

that's not an opinion, it's a lie, and a rant.[/quote']

It's a rant, but who can say they've not said something they've regretted, especially while drunk/coked up/eating psychadelic frogs, etc. Seems like he's made a heartfelt apology, and knows what an idiot he was, and shown some guts in admitting his mistake rather than denying it or burying his head in the sand. With any luck he'll have learned something from the experience and not been such a dick again.

Though in the current climate, there'll no doubt be some people not happy he's truly attoned for his sins until he constructs a 50-foot statue of Peel made out of his own congealed blood and donates his organs while still alive and without any anaesthetic for starving orphans to feast on while he screams on about his regret and has his eyes plucked out by crows.

PS I think an artist has every right to criticise his audience, even if they buy his CDs, etc. Is there some sort of card contained in the inlay sleeve that gives them diplomatic immunity from being criticised by the artist in question? This point applies more so at festivals, which are guaranteed to contain a large amount of morons who frankly deserve a guitar smashed over their heads.

yeah, I hear you there...

he has shot himself in the foot though eh...

go on stage, pissed - not so good

tell your "fans" to fuck off - not so good

slagg off peelie (rightly or wrongly) - not good.

oops...mental note to self "don't get pissed at a gig, when I've got a mic in front of my gob"

I bet he's thinking "oh fuckity fuck fuck"....

as for the point about "festival" gigs, you are 100% right about the audiences...but, he (the band) should try his hardest to win new fans, not fuck them off, and his "ture" fans...ho ho

now that peel statue...sounds interesting... he he

Guest Page 99

The make poverty thing is a joke to an extent, it serves it's purpose but doens't go nearly far enough to make 'poverty history'

Slagging off John Peel on the other hand should be a hangable offense, I wouldn't be listening to a heap of music if it wasn't for him. I think I'm away to stick on an Agoraphobic Nosebleed record and smile while remembering the good days off the peel show.

I'm all for abusing festival crowds, but when your making comments about John Peel (especially at Glastonbury) with his family in attendance, you need to think it through. Especially when your slagging off a very well-respected and talented guy, and you're a drunken upstart.

The guy is vastly over rated in my opinion, pity Ryan Adams had to drop out, he knows how to write a tune.