aberdeen-music

Phobia

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My nephew had a funny one when he was like 2' date=' he was so scared that if you took out the plug when he was in the bath, he'd get sucked down the drain with the water! Ho ho!

[/quote']

i had that too. i also thought that if you didn't get the hell out of the bathroom and into the safety of another room before the hissing noise stopped after you'd flush the toilet, a skeleton would come out and get you.

i was deathly afraid of the child catcher, so much so that i didn't watch chitty chitty bang bang all the way through until i was 18.

i remember being about 2 and going to my dancing class. the teacher's daughter was a goth, very much in the below style (it was 1984 after all) and she came into the class to tell her mum something. i remember screaming, running into the changing room, hiding under a coat peg and yelling "the witch is going to get me."jimsin09.jpg

when i was about the same age, i somehow got it into my head that my parents had been eaten by wolves and that the people posing as my parents were really the wolves wearing my parents skin. i spent the best part of a year fearing my parents, anticipating with dread the day they'd rip their skin off to reveal the ravenous wolves that would then devour me whole. i finally told my mum that a couple years ago and she said i'd been awfully nervous at that age and they couldn't understand why.

Guest davetherave

My cousin was scared of cotton wool, made her faint if she touched the stuff!

As for me, I've honestly not found anything that makes me faint/shudder/wet myself etc and that includes handling snakes and spiders, wasps, explosive devices, heights, deep caves or large german women in bikinis ;) (although the deep caves and large german women could have been the same thing) !!!

:D

Some midgets scare the shit out me...like the ones that were in aberdeen train station about 5 years ago promoting the irish lottery...dressed up as leprachuans (sp i know)...they were horrible....

Clowns....fucking ceramic clowns...possibly the most horrible thing ever made....

Guest davetherave
Some midgets scare the shit out me...like the ones that were in aberdeen train station about 5 years ago promoting the irish lottery...dressed up as leprachuans (sp i know)...they were horrible....

Clowns....fucking ceramic clowns...possibly the most horrible thing ever made....

Clowns can be truly creepy, remember the one under the bed in Poltergeist or Stephen Kings IT, or Ronald fucking Macdonald, uuuurgh !! Luckily I never experienced any of these things at a young enough age to scar me for life :D

it's not really in the 'phobia' levels, but i have an irrational fear/strong dislike of moths.

usually on seeing one i will freak out and jump around going "aagh! a moth!" which is pretty embarrasing when there's other people around.

i know a girl who has an actual phobia of cotton wool and she says shes actually fainted at the sight of it before. i used to keep saying i had handfuls of cotton wool to freak her out. :nono:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Nah' date=' its called Acrophobia, its not where you're scared of say, about to forward abseil down some building, but when you are filled with fear whilst in a safe situation...I used to get it very bad..heres some examples, you know the over pass from John Lewis to Bon Accord centre, I couldn't cross that for ages, I was seriously clinging onto the rail. The glass elevator, i can't look if it gets higher than floor 2...its a safe environment yet it scares the fuck out of me, at a BP building in London where I was working, their was a central staircase which was quite open and you coudl see from the 2nd floor down to the ground....I simply couldn't use those stairs..and constantly got a bollocking for taking the lift from the healthy police...[/quote']

Wow, and I thought it was just me. I'm exactly the same, there are some situations that scare the shit out of me. For example, I can't use the glass lift in the Bon Accord centre. I have no problem in conventional lifts, it's the fact you can SEE everything which gets the panic going. The bit on Union Street near Union Terrace, the side where you look left and see down where the newish underpass is, I avoid it like hell. My partner told me that when I get to that bit, I squeeze her hand too tight and I'm practically dragging her along but hardly realising it, I just can't get to the corner of Belmont Street quick enough, but going over it on the bus is no problem. Also, driving over the Forth Road Bridge is a terrifying nightmare for me. The fact that you can look down THROUGH the bridge and see the water, that's what gets me. I just curl up into a ball and get shit-scared, good job I don't drive.

tiny dark spaces like say' date=' beeswax (where the 'walls' are really thin and the spaces between quite small) also creep me out a fair bit![/quote']

Ahhhh!!! That's my one! I don't know anybody else who gets weirded out by that! Do you mean like on a boiled sweet that you suck for a long time, or when you eat an orange so you bite the cylindricalish shapes in half sideways (if you see what I mean) and then kind of pull it open a little? Or when a piece of paper is folded in your pocket for a long time and the crease gets so worn that it gets tiny holes in it? Or like those bastard barnacles?!

Wuhhh :(

there are loads of things i am scared about, or really, really dislike, but nothing i would consider anywhere near a phobia.

i remember there was some saturday evening gameshow, and they had a bit where someone tried to conquer a phobia, basically being inside a large glass box with whatever it was they hated. you could see some of the people really wanted to do it, but were getting really hysterical over it, some of it seems really silly, like someone was afraid of buttons or something, so to us it looked like glass room with buttons in it, ie nothign to be scared of at all, btu the person on the show was really hysterical. seems completely illogical to be scared of somethign like buttons, but its not their choice... with things like spiders or mice, its pretty easy to see why someone would be scared...

David

hehe i remember the buttons one! didn't davina mccall present it? or did i just imagine that??

thats the one, i know they had some challenges where they got people to do something they really didnt like (but probably not to phobia levels) to win a prize for a loved one, every time you could see them asking what they really didnt like, and them just realising, 'oh shit, thats what they ae going to get me to do'

David

Wow' date=' and I thought it was just me. I'm exactly the same, there are some situations that scare the shit out of me. For example, I can't use the glass lift in the Bon Accord centre. I have no problem in conventional lifts, it's the fact you can SEE everything which gets the panic going. The bit on Union Street near Union Terrace, the side where you look left and see down where the newish underpass is, I avoid it like hell. My partner told me that when I get to that bit, I squeeze her hand too tight and I'm practically dragging her along but hardly realising it, I just can't get to the corner of Belmont Street quick enough, but going over it on the bus is no problem. Also, driving over the Forth Road Bridge is a terrifying nightmare for me. The fact that you can look down THROUGH the bridge and see the water, that's what gets me. I just curl up into a ball and get shit-scared, good job I don't drive.[/quote']

I know what you mean about seeing stuff....I'm cool on planes , maybe cos I'm sitting down...and the height is so high that its a bit unreal..in fact i think I have to stop looking out the window onces its landing...

Away in a moment of thought there...I was away to start thinking about skyscrapers...my partner used to live on a16th floor, and we'd constantly be on the balcony, some days I could look over and right down, other times my hands got sweaty on the rails and i was convinced either the structure was gonna go, the balcony rail was gonna come lose or I was just gonna slip over with my sweaty palms...thinking back further, when I was 12 (other guys were older) I was in this band, and we brought in a new drummer one day, amazing drummer, played and looked like Keith Moon. The next week we're told at practice by the other guitarist that this guy has comitted suicide, jumping out his window probably 18th floor or something. Someone said somthing like "he would have died from fear before he even hit the ground" and I think thats stuck in me somehow...so I'm not scared of heights, I'm scared of getting scared of heights!!! I don't know if fear can kill you...scar you for life though :D

my boyfriend is terrified of care bears, me being me thought id help him get over this fear and put a care bear film on..he ran out of the room and wouldnt talk to me for 3 hours :down: I've also got to hide share bear every time he comes round.

hmm, i hate bananas. The smell makes me gag, I cant have anything banana flavoured or banana smelling. I used to get some medicine when I was little for some illness and it was banana flavoured so I guess thats where the fear comes from. Cinnamon and liquorice also make me gag lol which kinda sucks when your mother runs around the house at christmas spraying cinnamon scent - eugh :puke: