aberdeen-music

abedeen-music.com to be taken to court!

Neil

Well, kinda. :)

I received a rather surprising phone call today from a representative of SMG Television (aka ITV for those of you in Scotland). Heres the deal:

A member of a local band (which I'm not going to name at this time!) wants to prosecute the aberdeen-music.com web site over comments made regarding their band on the forums that have subsequently made it difficult for them to get gigs in the local area. This court case is thankfully not a real court case but instead will be shown as a case on The Peoples Court TV show. The phone call I received today was asking me if I was prepared to come on the show and defend the web site something I had no hesitation in accepting to do.

Although the show isnt meant to be taken too seriously I do intend to vigorously defend this web sites case and I will need your help to do this. I dont like calling on others support unless absolutely necessary but this is a golden opportunity to further raise the web sites profile and with it, the profile of the local music scene of Aberdeen. Its not often things like this get talked about on national TV so lets all make the most of it!

Here is what I need from you to help me:

- One volunteer to appear as a Witness

Im allowed to call upon a witness to help defend my corner. This witness, like me, will have to travel to Glasgow for filming in two weeks time and take a couple of days off work for this. It will be all expenses paid I hasten to add however. I could just pick a mate for this but that wouldnt be fair nor in the spirit of things. Instead, Im ideally looking for a local musician, band member, manager or promoter that can wax lyrical about aberdeen-music.com, how it benefits the local music scene and, possibly most importantly, how both negative and positive feedback on local bands on the web site is important. Remember, this bands gripe is how feedback from members of this web site has now hampered their chances of getting gigs in the area (or at least, this is what Ive been told so far).

The Witness will have to sit in front of TV cameras and so obviously you will have to be pretty good at getting your point(s) across while under a little pressure (I think you can get cross-examined!). I already know there is a few people on these forums that would make ideal candidates for this role so please, can one of you step forward and contact me for further details. :)

- Collection of evidence

Although Im not going to reveal the band at the centre of this case for now, I will be contacting individuals who have seen and dealt with this band privately and asking them to make statements expanding on remarks they have already made about the band on the forums. Can I please ask of those of you that I do contact to keep this confidential until after the show is broadcasted (in around two weeks time).

Im also happy to receive other submissions from members that might help the case. Namely any further opinions on aberdeen-music.com, the local music scene, bands, promoters, venues or even broader topics like online discussion communities and free speech online. Whatever anyone submits you will get full credit for it.

- An audience!

Although I think most of the show is pre-recorded, the verdict of the case is made live and in front of an audience. Although this will be down in Glasgow and during the day (it looks like being a Monday) I think I should be able to get some free tickets sorted out for anyone that might want to come along and give some vocal support. If you are interested then please, just let me know.

Ill have much more information regarding all this on Monday but as I only have two weeks to sort this out then I thought I better let you know sooner rather than later. Keep an eye out for further updates!

P.S. Thanks for all the applications sent in regarding the staff positions. Ill be picking two new moderators over the weekend.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets open a book on who the band in question is. I think it's Identity......

considering the good feedback they've had on this site and the fact that they actively use the site to ask promoters for gigs I would say that's highly unlikely.

considering the good feedback they've had on this site and the fact that they actively use the site to ask promoters for gigs I would say that's highly unlikely.

Considering they've been criticised for playing about a million gigs a week as well I'd say it was unlikely :p

I was thinking from the perspective that some people won't give them gigs anymore, cause they are sick of them playing all the time. Also any publicity helps....

Guest Zeenat Aman

This is a crafty ploy by the band for some publicity, possibly the band Stranded, they've had lots of bad comments made about them and the people who they appear to bring along to gigs recently.

I am confident Neil/aberdeen-music.com will be victorious.

:gringo:

Guest Zeenat Aman
Book opening time! Bets on MMw' date=' SPD, Identity, Stranded, Quik, Stayover and The Videos being taken now![/quote']

There is no reason(apart from stranded, cos of their fans perhaps) for any of those bands to not get gigs.

Know what date it's gonna be Neil?

It's provisional (because I have to confirm with work that I can get the time off) but the filming would be on Friday, 22nd of April and the live, audience attended filming would be during the day on Monday, 25th of April - all in Glasgow.

hmmm... I see a worrying potential here for making the 'Aberdeen music scene'TM a bit of a national laughing stock. Last thing we want is to project the image of petty in-fighting and self-important squabbling. The Aberdeen Music Defence team will need just the right mix of professionalism and humour to carry it off I reckon. Cogent, well considered points confidently presented, but with enough self-deprecating wit to let the other side make an arse of themselves.

Yeh to be fair, a good ammount of people on these boards don't actually go to any local gigs in Aberdeen. From a Stayover gig to a gig put on by interesting music, a lot of people don't really give two shits.

My bet is on Roger Kimmit.

There is no reason(apart from stranded' date=' cos of their fans perhaps) for any of those bands to not get gigs.[/quote']

Only because they're the sort of bands who would take the initiative to do something like this to get publicity. And good on them.

Good luck to neil and the band. Sounds like it could be really good fun and a woth while exercise. I'd be putting my money on MMW and Stayover as they seem to be two of the "higher profile" bands on these boards. I'll certainly be tuning in to watch the show!

Your day(s) in court

It's provisional (because I have to confirm with work that I can get the time off) but the filming would be on Friday' date=' 22nd of April and the live, audience attended filming would be during the day on Monday, 25th of April - all in Glasgow.[/quote']

... Get your event added to the calendar ...

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703

Yeh to be fair' date=' a good ammount of people on these boards don't actually go to any local gigs in Aberdeen. From a Stayover gig to a gig put on by interesting music, a lot of people don't really give two shits.

My bet is on Roger Kimmit.[/quote']

roger the dodger, he'd be great entertainment

Neil and a witness would just have to turn up and leave... This band, whoever they are, have no leg to stand on. Their gripe should at least be with the individuals who make the comments not Neil and the website in general... Even then... Come on!!? So good luck Neil!

Although I am assuming its light hearted? Or at elast the intentions of the band are light hearted... if not, this really is a joke...

interesting stuff, i'm dying to know who the band is! also intrigued as to what kind of case they have, i mean have they got local promoters to speak on their behalf to say that they are not giving them gigs because of comments on aberdeen-music?

please please please someone has to ship me over a video recording of this, i'll pay all costs and a bit extra for your trouble!