aberdeen-music

abedeen-music.com to be taken to court!

Neil

Guest davetherave

If the band is serious then they completely lost the plot of what a-m.com is all about. If its a publicity ploy then I hope they come out with a severe media bashing.

At least its live on TV so the words cant be twisted as they often are in the newspapers.

Good luck aberdeen-music.com, hope u have a well prepared defence and some suitable judge style wigs to wear on the show. :)

:cheers:

to quote mister Zappa "shut up and play yer guitar" :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know neil said it isnt a real court but what legal stance do they have? i mean, should a-m win, can neil demand a public apolgy? or if the band should win, can the *judge* order a pay out, or for the site to be shut down?

i remeber reading in the paper the *judge* is a lady who has been in thr legal buisness for a number of years but i dont know if she is a solicter, barrister etc...

i dont know much about the local aberdeen bands as i have only been to aberdeen twice, but it will be intresting to see and hear both sides of the story!

If I was a promoter I'd be highly insulted by the insinuation that I base my judgement of bands on what's said on a public forum. Promoters normally have plenty of other contacts (most importantly other promoters and people who work at the gigs) and minds of their own.

I'm pretty sure it's obvious that the whole point of this is a joke just to get publicity...

People are taking this far too seriously...

I don't know about it being a joke, more of a badly planned publicity campaign that could seriously backfire.

People are going to think the band are either a self-important bunch of twats who take themselves too seriously, a bunch of big cry-babies or just plain desperate.

None of those options would make me want to spend time or money going to their gigs or buying their products.

(Unless Neil has actually set up the whole thing with a fake band to get publicity for aberdeen-music.com, which would be quite clever)

Anyway, to have a chance of winning this case the band would have to prove that people breached the rules of the forum and it went unmoderated, although I can't remember any rules saying "You shall not give negative opinions on bands". They'd also have to prove they had lots of gigs before the comments were posted but very little after.

The more I think about it, it can't be real, it must be fake. Could a band really be that stupid?

(Unless Neil has actually set up the whole thing with a fake band to get publicity for aberdeen-music.com' date=' which would be quite clever)

The more I think about it, it can't be real, it must be fake. Could a band really be that stupid?[/quote']

It is real. Neil didn't make it up for publicity. If he did set it up himself then he did a really really good act of looking utterly baffled when he got the initial voicemail from the producer.

And of course a band can be that stupid.

It is real. Neil didn't make it up for publicity. If he did set it up himself then he did a really really good act of looking utterly baffled when he got the initial voicemail from the producer.

And of course a band can be that stupid.

Yeah, you're right, I don't know what I was thinking.

Guest Logan
what an excuse for the band to get some attention!!!

haha! I'm considering coming' date=' just for the fun of it...

AM will be truimphant! hhaah![/quote']

We've just been to Glasgow, I'm not going back again! :p

Just to clear things up

WTF?

We've been busy recruiting a new guitarist, so I've just been given the heads up about this thread today and I must say, WTF? So, to be clear it isn't Identity, but I'd be interested in reading who it is but assuming its Identity is really off the mark.

Take care,

Bobbie

considering the good feedback they've had on this site and the fact that they actively use the site to ask promoters for gigs I would say that's highly unlikely.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, i bet the show ends up just like judge Judy but without any balls. I don't see the point in doing this as an attempted publicity stunt; how many alternative, gig-going folks watch crappy pseudo-reality TV shows.

< ! WRONG TARGET AUDIENCE ALERT ! >

I hate the tackiness and americanisation of our television/culture. Soon you'll be able to sue your employers for slips and falls inside the workplace!!

It's not us, we get offered dozens of gigs a month... ;)

However, I'd gladly go down as a witness...We get more shit on here than every other band put together, and have never ever had any problem getting a gig anywhere in Scotland, never mind Aberdeen, so yeah, I'd gladly take the stand and put some nails in whoever it is coffin..

Guest Zeenat Aman
It's not us' date=' we get offered dozens of gigs a month... ;)

However, I'd gladly go down as a witness...We get more shit on here than every other band put together, and have never ever had any problem getting a gig anywhere in Scotland, never mind Aberdeen, so yeah, I'd gladly take the stand and put some nails in whoever it is coffin..[/quote']

Oh my, another speech?

:D:p

Guest Mr Blastcap

chances are u will look as daft as j ag-go -go on that grampian tv show chaps!

i'd be really interested to see the legal debate on this. i imagine the comment was " yer band is shite"- so how do you prove the band is good or shite? is there some sort of measuring system ? music is subjective is it not? i mean i think the icarus line are the nuts, but i do understand that other people would disagree and even go as far as saying they were not a patch on weller or the bravery etc. obviously my mindset is different to the ab-music hq, i would have told the show to fuck off and named and shamed the band, keep the shit in house so to speak. this is pretty funny though.....

Yes, in case I wasn't clear in my original post, this whole thing is meant to be somewhat light-hearted and not to be taken too seriously (I think the TV programme is very much along the lines of the likes of Judge Judy etc). This band have been clever and have probably decided that this would be a good publicity stunt - and who can blame them for trying? Likewise, regardless of the outcome, this web site will also receive some free publicity and that is an offer that I simply can't turn down.

I do hold reservations that it might backfire somewhat however. Echoing Frosty Jack's comments I do feel that the web site (and ultimately the local music scene) may be portrayed as cliquey and full of constant in-fighting. I seriously hope that this doesn't prove to be the case, but only time will tell I guess.

I'll post more information about all this on Monday evening. However, I have discovered something more. As I mentioned before the judgement is filmed live on the Monday morning (on the 25th). However, the judgement is made by the viewers watching by dialling in and sending SMS messages (I assume) with the selection of who should win the case.

So ultimately, if the is web site is to be victorious during the case; I have to rely on you all to vote for the web site!

P.S. Would people please stop contacting me regarding being a witness unless you can seriously say something to support the web site during the filming? I've had every man and his dog contact me and harass me regarding this. Im not just going to take someone along just because I know them Im actually looking for someone who would make a good case for this web site even if Ive never met them in person before!