aberdeen-music

Where should I go to University?

Guest AmbientMood

Guest AmbientMood

Well, I feel cowardly staying in Aberdeen. Not too fussed about leaving friends, except the musical ones potentials maybe.

Glasgow is ultimately a much cooler city than Aiberdeen, due to the size and polite bus drivers respectively. Aberdeen is ok, but having lived here for so long, there wouldn't be much difference in lifestyle just 'moving into town.' Glasgow would probably be the exciting option I think.

What's anyones experience of moving into halls in Aberdeen like? This dilemma is still up in the air for me, though I admit, through a process of brainwashing and propaganda from my brother, I'm swinging Glasgow.

Moving into halls in Aberdeen is fantastic. I stayed at Hillhead in the self-catered flats. Yeah, they were nothing especially (physically. The catered flats were quite spacious and classy in comparison) but made loads of friends etc. Having said that I'm not originally from Aberdeen so maybe it was the experience of being somewhere different. Though there were friends who I met here who were from Aberdeen or nearby. But I think I had an advantage in the fact that it was more exciting exploring new places and meeting new people so in some ways Glasgow sounds like the best option in your case. Hope all goes well for you

Keep jammin'

Patch

Patch

You could just be practical and apply for the university that is ranked higher for the course you want to do :p

I wanted to go to another city, but edinburgh rejected me, and Glasgow wanted me to get 3 As in sixth year (like hell), so im just staying here for uni next year. Although there is no chance in hell im not getting a flat

Follow your heart!

I chose to stay here because

a) I'm a wuss

b) I live 35 minutes walk from Aberdeen Uni = no need to pay for halls / a flat

c) friends

I do now wish I'd gone away. When I've been to Glasgow / Edinburgh since starting uni, I've just been all *sigh* and wished I'd gone there. And for that reason I'm going to do my 2nd year in the USA. Not such a wuss after all.

It all depends on what you want personally. I am enjoying the courses I'm doing here, perhaps they'd be shittier elsewhere. And I can come home to my nice house for nice food cooked by my nice mum, go out with all my nice friends then come home to a nice cosy bed. Cheaply.

Sometimes I wish I'd gone away for Uni, but Aberdeen isn't so bad. I guess it depends. To be honest because I moved out and into Student accomodation I've met alot of new people this year anyway, and not just in halls or at Uni. If I make it to 5th year I'll be doing an elective somewhere away from here anyway, and I'll have to move to where the jobs are once I graduate, so I will eventually move away from Aberdeen, but in the mean time I'm glad I chose to go to Uni here. It's a fine pair of Universities and the city itself could be alot worse :)

In the end it's really how you feel about the reasons you'd be staying for etc. You can go "away" for Uni without actually going away, moving into student accomodation is a wise choice for a lot of folk.

i moved from the country to glasgow for uni and it was a great choice because i couldn't commute from home. i've loved my time here and it's been fairly easy to move away because all of my friends had to do the same but when your friends all stay near home, it can be harder i guess.

i'd suggest you look at the course first because there's no point doing something you'll hate from the start. then think about whether it's financially viable to move away cos that can be a heavy burden. then after that, you got to party in the city for 4 years so make sure it's the kind of city that suits your needs! most big cities have everything and you'll never know for sure till you get there but it's worth thinking about .

glasgow is awesome but as maxi has shown, it's not for everyone. it is vastly bigger than aberdeen and therefore you don't have the smalltown atmosphere and you don't see people out so often because there are more places to go, but most people get into a routine and you do see the same faces in the same places after a while.

give it plenty of thought tho and don't go with your friends just because they're your friends because it's very impostant to remember that they're your friends because your parents had similar ideas about where hey wanted to raise children and hence you landed at the same school. the friends i have who kick about on these boards are friends because we have shared interests and not simply out of convenience. in the same way, you are instantly on the same page as people who you meet at uni because you've both made the concious decision to go to that uni and stay in those halls. and as they always say, these are the friends you'll have for life!

moving away gets you a clean start and you really can decide for yourself what you do and when, which is less the case if you stay at home.

but remember not to shit yourself too much about it! you'll manage wherever you end up and whoever you're with. you'll discover that you're stronger than you think!

spoons

/x

It depends really. I recently started wishing I'd left for uni, because I feel I've missed out on something, and I'll never be able to relive that part of my life. And once you hit 20, you start to really get bored of your parents, if you haven't done so already. And not in a stroppy teenager way, just that you don't have the freedom you need.

On the other hand, I have no debts having stayed at home and not had to take out any student loans. Oh, except for the graduate endowment scheme that you have to pay back once you're earning a certain amount of course.

I suppose it all boils down to whether or not you want to be a typical student and if you care about being 18,000 in debt really.

you have to do what you want to do, not what a committee decides. i come from oldmeldrum which is 17 miles or so from aberdeen, but i go to aberdeen uni. i would never, in any way consider staying at home whilst at uni. no way! i stay in hillhead halls and its the fucking best fun ive ever had. every day you see someone you know you can do something with. the only drawback is you want to spend money all the time to have fun with everyone cos everyone works on different timetables. its brilliant fun though. my dillemma was whether to go to edinburgh, napier (edinburgh) or glasgow (i was accepted for each one) but i decided at the last minute to not go on another gap year and go now, but as i was so late i stayed i aberdeen so i could continue with my band (and my girlfriend) and so that if i ended up in financial trouble i could just go home! im looking for a flat now. i dont have any regrets going to aberdeen. the uni joke is 'so why did you come here? rejected from edinburgh?' but it is a really good university.

i'm just there to get a piece of paper in the end, but the course is actually fun, and i enjoy having to do shitty essays now and again. my only advice is that wherever you go,go there because you want to. don't feel pressured to go to glasgow/edinburgh etc because you are supposed to move away from home, but if you stay in aberdeen, go to halls because its fucking awesome.

that's my two cents. good luck!

i moved away but i had no choice. it was the only place in scotland that did the course i wanted to do. its good in a way as it forces you to meet lots of new people. if id stayed at home id probably have not made as many new friends as i did living in Ayr. money of course is a factor. but ive been lucky, my parents pay for rent and help with food and i worked full time last summer to save up so i didnt need a loan, and hope to never get one.

last year i moved from here to dundee uni and didn't really worry about missing friends etc. when i got there it was ace- met new people and all was good. then i started getting bored and missing my boyfriend at the time and the new friends i'd made in aberdeen since meeting him. money also became a MAJOR issue...

now i live at home with my parents and commute to uni everyday- sometimes i actually regret moving home because i don't have the same freedom. in my experience, i didn't know the right choice for me until i made the wrong one but you just learn from it i suppose. just don't forget that if you're unhappy somewhere, there's always an alternative.

:)

i went to uni striaght from school when i stayed in reading

i was in slough at thames valley uni

nae the greatest place to go

believe me

so after 8 months of commuting from reading to slough 3 days a week

and every now and again coming up to the deen for AUBL Nights

it was after the last ever gig at the old drakes (or is that the old, old drakes now..) that i decided i no longer wanted to pursue the path i'd taken

and i was going to move back to aberdeen after being away for about 3 and a bit years or something

i lived in the burbs when i was growing up

so going away and coming back and living in town was a big change anyway

but i had the added bonus of having all my friends there.. although only a small number were people i went to school with.. more people i'd met through AUBL activities, going to gigs etc.

and i've done a fair bit of travelling in my time so i've never felt trapped living up here

- and i did plenty of travelling with my job for while

so thats all good.. AND all my family live in the south so i have to go away every now and again

but then i like it here

there aint nothing wrong with aberdeen.. i feel safe.. weather good... ? ...lots of fresh air and countryside... waay cooler than living in a big smelly city.. surrounded by more big smelly cities imho

so all in all.. do what you think is best

if you decide its not best.. change your mind and do something else..

tis your life after all

:up: