aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Last two albums i bought has been excellent in fact maybe the best so far this year.

Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever ago - totally fantastic

Portishead: Third - wow i was totally prepared to be disappointed but the album is excellent although can see it be hated by those that listened to their stuff in the 90's, but i'm very surprised by their new sound!

Last two albums i bought has been excellent in fact maybe the best so far this year.

Bon Iver: For Emma, Forever ago - totally fantastic

Portishead: Third - wow i was totally prepared to be disappointed but the album is excellent although can see it be hated by some of those that listened to their stuff in the 90's (not me though), but i'm very surprised by their new sound! 11 years since Portishead album wow what a comeback

This is utterly brilliant, I've liked pretty much everything they've done but this one's on a new level I think. Anyone who wrote them off as an OC soundtrack band should listen again.

If anything, the new stuff reinforces the OC soundtrack cloud over their head. Give me the photo album any day.

got some algernon cadwallader, polar bear club, chillerton, nakatomi plaza and lemuria a few weeks back.

What Algernon did you get? I'm still pretty confused with what's happening with the 7". Something about it being pressed wrong...i can't remember. I picked up the tape last week. Can't wait for it to get here!

What Lemuria was it? Get Better? Such a good record!

The Meters-The Meters; Proto-Funktastic

The VBO Ethiopiques; the paper was banging on about this, it is ace, 60s/70s Soul, Jazz and Funk, but with trippy hypnotic Ethiopian scales, reminiscent of the Doors psych out moments in places, buy.

XTC-Explode Together:the Dub Experiments 78-80; the good bits are very good (2/3 rds) and the remainder is guff, especially 'The Rotary'

Steve Hillage-Rainbow Dome Music; the best sleep music ever, good when you are awake as well.

John Holt-3000 Volts of Holt; less strings, more roots, loads of ace bonus tracks, and the awesome 'My Desire'

If anything, the new stuff reinforces the OC soundtrack cloud over their head. Give me the photo album any day.

I don't really understand how you could view Narrow Stairs as being more classicaly commerical than Plans? The production is unpolished and recorded on tape and primarily live and some of the songs have several unwieldy long instrumental passages. The lead single was like 8 minutes long and the first 4 minutes is completely instrumental, it's not exactly Crooked Teeth. Long Division and Cath would fit well on The Photo Album I think.

I think DCFC were pretty much at a cross-roads before this album came out, they could have gone down two paths and I'm glad they picked this one.

Guest bluesxman

Bon Iver ~ For Emma, Forever Ago

Portishead ~ Third

Billy Mahonie ~ Dust

Patti Smith ~ Peace And Noise

Sleater Kinney ~ Call The Doctor

Cha Cha Cohen ~ S/T

Orange Juice ~ The Glasgow School

Ah, did you order Algernon from the Craig in states then? He told me he was going to send a bunch over to folk in Europe to sell, and to hold out till then. Still no cds :(

A list of the distros that are selling them are up on the myspace. Probably just as cheap ordering from them - 5.50 or something, postage included. Sticky Sticky are sold out already.

dan le sac vs scroobius pip - angles

awesome, just awesome. and i don't even really like much modern hip-hop.

Heard this the other day, I'd liked the singles but wasn't sure if the album was going to be up to much but I was very pleasantly surprised, it's actually a really intelligent and pretty special album. The combination of hip-hop and glitchy electronics is brilliant.