aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Zounds ~ The Curse Of Zounds!

Hey, cool. Great great band, and a quite awesome release. Have ya heard recent EP Go All The Way? Caught the guys live - at London's Astoria in '95 at Vi Subversa's 60th birthday show with Poison Girls, Omega Tribe, and Crass folks Penny Rimbaud and Eve Libertine, and then again at two McLibel benefit shows in '97 at Chats Palace with Thatcher On Acid, Stratford Mercenaries, and Blyth Power.

If folks here wanna check 'em out, and I'd recommend they do, then they can do so here: Zounds: Home Page And check out their fan page on MySpace here: www.myspace.com/zounds

Guest bluesxman
Hey, cool. Great great band, and a quite awesome release. Have ya heard recent EP Go All The Way? Caught the guys live - at London's Astoria in '95 at Vi Subversa's 60th birthday show with Poison Girls, Omega Tribe, and Crass folks Penny Rimbaud and Eve Libertine, and then again at two McLibel benefit shows in '97 at Chats Palace with Thatcher On Acid, Stratford Mercenaries, and Blyth Power.

If folks here wanna check 'em out, and I'd recommend they do, then they can do so here: Zounds: Home Page And check out their fan page on MySpace here: www.myspace.com/zounds

I actually decided to try it after reading that Crass biog, I was familiar with the name but hadn't heard them, have been listening to it this morning, very, very good album, much better than the majority of Crass' own releases in my opinion.

I'm not actually an avid follower of anarcho-punk or indeed any punk from recent times, just dabble from time to time, although I do own a lot of punk material, mainly back catalogue stuff though....

I actually decided to try it after reading that Crass biog, I was familiar with the name but hadn't heard them, have been listening to it this morning, very, very good album, much better than the majority of Crass' own releases in my opinion.

I'm not actually an avid follower of anarcho-punk or indeed any punk from recent times, just dabble from time to time, although I do own a lot of punk material, mainly back catalogue stuff though....

Ah so you've read Crass - The Biography. Cool. I gotta say that despite my posting a thread about it here, I still haven't purchased a copy. Intend to soon. Actually, talking of work of this kind, one other title that may interest you, and one I'd highly recommend, is Ian Glasper's The Day The Country Died - A History Of Anarcho Punk 1980-1984. Available through Cherry Red. Check it out if ya can. Cherry Red Books - The Day The Country Died Has all the big hitters - Crass, Zounds, Flux Of Pink Indians, Conflict, Subhumans, and many many more. DVD available too. Cherry Red Records : Various Artists

But yeah, regarding Zounds, few could match them. They had only fairly recently been working on a new album, but decided to scrap what they had done. Was considered not good enough, and have ceased operations again for the forseeable future. :(

Guest bluesxman
Ah so you've read Crass - The Biography. Cool. I gotta say that despite my posting a thread about it here, I still haven't purchased a copy. Intend to soon. Actually, talking of work of this kind, one other title that may interest you, and one I'd highly recommend, is Ian Glasper's The Day The Country Died - A History Of Anarcho Punk 1980-1984. Available through Cherry Red. Check it out if ya can. Cherry Red Books - The Day The Country Died Has all the big hitters - Crass, Zounds, Flux Of Pink Indians, Conflict, Subhumans, and many many more. DVD available too. Cherry Red Records : Various Artists

But yeah, regarding Zounds, few could match them. They had only fairly recently been working on a new album, but decided to scrap what they had done. Was considered not good enough, and have ceased operations again for the forseeable future. :(

The Crass book is OK although quite badly edited and gets a bit repetitive at times, I did see that other book was available, I may get hold of that one. You will like the first CD on this list as well no doubt ;)

The Mob ~ Let The Tribe Increase

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds ~ The Abattoir Blues Tour

Gossip ~ Standing In The Way Of Control

REM ~ Green

The Crass book is OK although quite badly edited and gets a bit repetitive at times, I did see that other book was available, I may get hold of that one. You will like the first CD on this list as well no doubt ;)

The Mob ~ Let The Tribe Increase

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds ~ The Abattoir Blues Tour

Gossip ~ Standing In The Way Of Control

REM ~ Green

Oh yes. These folks were right up there with Crass. And track No Doves Fly Here? Stands I think as one of the finest ever songs committed to tape. Folks if interested can find out more about The Mob here: No doves fly here: The Mob

Regarding Crass - The Biography? Yeah, have heard those very things said about the manner in which it's written. A friend of mine knows author George Berger aka Gerard Evans. Gerard was back in the day a member of anarcho punks Flowers In The Dustbin. They made it through Aberdeen with Fuzzbox. CD retrospective coming soon I think.

flowers in the dustbin

I went on an ebay fest...

shins - wincing the night away

andrea parker - kiss my arp (brilliant minimal electronica)

various - electric ladyland 6

marco carola - fabric 31 (again, minimal techno, brilliant)

women & children - paralized, dance tonight

Paul Kalkbrenner - Reworks (a sucker for minimal techno in january...must be the light)

I tired 4 times to nab mastodon's "blood mountain" but kept getting pipped in the end.

will keep trying. I was also bidding for some Sunn 0))) but to no avail.

The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America

Pretty good, but not a million miles away from Counting Crows/Soul Asylum. Some good tunes mind...

Fucked Up - Hidden World (proper CD copy)

Fucking great punk rock.

Gorilla Biscuits - S/T

Been listening to Start Today all week. Needed the earlier stuff too (plus a "yo" tee!)

Verse - Rebuild

Great hardcore record. Good stuff.

The Chariot - Everything Is Alive....

Saw 'em last night, and only had a d/l version. Heavy, discordant stuff.

Downloaded:

Machine Head - The Blackening

AWESOME!

The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America

Pretty good, but not a million miles away from Counting Crows/Soul Asylum. Some good tunes mind...

I had been wanting to hear them cos they sounded like they'd potentially be interesting, lyrically at least, but having actually heard them i just can't stomach their classic rock licks.

Wee bit disappointed with this oneperhaps it will grow but think they have finally lost their bite.

Jury is still out with me, too. Initially I thought it sounded a little bit backwards in terms of progression, and I was hoping for one or two of the more upbeat tracks from 'Greater Wrong...'

It's like the way the OhGr albums went - The first was brilliant, amazing slice of industrial 'pop' if you will, but the second was a really odd quagmire of awkwardness. Mythmaker seems to follow that trend a bit...

A few more listens before I fully commit an opinion, tho!

I downloaded a few of the samples from their site...and I have to say, they are all terrible...I was worried the direction they were going ("goff tekno 4 da kidz")...and this is ball cringly bad.

still, bloody amazing live...but this cd won't be rushing it's way onto the end of my SP collection.