aberdeen-music

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye!!!!!!

Dizzy Storm

Obviously I don't know myself (cause I've never been) but if your posts here are anything to go by then I've been missing out all this time. I kinda feel like I shouldn't turn up tomorrow a) because it'll probably be full! and b) because it sounds like I should leave the last few nights for the people who have actually been going all this time.

Buglass, please turn up tonight! The best advice I can give is turn up early, because it is a small venue and if last night was anything to go by it may well be pretty packed. You'll be more than welcome, and plus it's Piney Gir! :D If you miss out you'll never have discovered the joys of Dr Drakes, even if it is just for one night, and that's more of a crime.

Even though I didn't live in Aberdeen when I was in Scotland and even though I only ever played Drakes once I have to chip in and agree that it is a real shame that it is closing.

It is more than a year since I played there with Tarzan Stripes on a freezing January night to about 4 people but I still remember it as one of my favourite gigs of 2004.

Good luck with whatever the Drakes people decide to do next.

Alex

Thee Moths

Just want to say a personal thank you the best venue in aberdeen for giving my band it's first ever gig in the big city (well it is when yr from Forres!) and inviting us back again and again (even when we seemed to jinks the place when touring bands we were playin with all had to cancel!). Thanks to drakes for supporting all my musical endevours-The Gloria Flaw, Reasons Are Red and Hookers Green- and helping me work the dj booth.

I've had some some awesome nights there- the night i saw Cat On Form, Politik and Turning13 with about six other people on a frezzing cold Aberdeen night was one of the best gigs I've ever seen.

This is truely terrible news, i honestly don't know how the alternative music scene is going to cope!

Thank you all so much. Looking forward to new projects very soon!

Ladies and Gentlemen...

Doctor Drake's Ltd is announcing' date=' with a downcast, positive and progressive attitude that, as of Tuesday the 25th of January we will cease to trade!

This has been nothing but the hardest decision, but one arrived at through a want to necessitate change and development.

There are many many reasons for us arriving at this place and wish it were feasible for individual discourse with all that have questions. Our energy levels, doctors and psychiatrists however have suggested otherwise. So trust in the fact that we (all) at Drake's, will continue the pursuit of what we believe in. There is no wall, door, roof or room that will ever contain, curtail or prevent creative expression!!!

Thank you all, bless you all and never say that it can't be done!!!!!!

All of us

:kiss::music::cheers::band:[/quote']

I don't believe you....

It's such sad news.

I went along last night and enjoyed the fudge gig but that was probably the last time I will get into Drakes. boooooo.

I have enjoyed many a night in the old and new drakes and discovered some great local bands because of drakes. There is nowhere better to see bands in Aberdeen.

Can't really say anthing else that hasn't already been said. Apart from that I, along with everyone else am very sad to see the doors closing. :down:;(

I am truly gutted about this.....no where else could have opened my eyes to such great music.

Thanks for letting project: ven-hell play there.....im sure no-one else will ever let us play again.....so it was fucking awesome.

Thanks again....i will be there tonight.....and im sure round3 of dr drakes is not so far in the future......

I find it hard to believe after all this time that it's not going to be their anymore...i remember playing my 1st gig in castlegate alongside Psycho-ago-go with my bro's in our covers band 'Oneway'. And remember playing an Audio Dropouts night last January in 'Soul Doubt'. Just recently celebrating Andy Mo' of My Decaying Legs birthday on the 10th. It was the only place i played and never once felt nervous about making a mistake cuz the atmosphere was so just so friendly....so many memories!

Surely this cant be the end?

Danny Christie.

Guest stuartmaxwell
Ah... I can remember many a drunken time leaning over the bar confessing my love for Drakes... So much so I'm sure I must have been annoying as hell! But I always meant it when I said it was my favourite place to go. From djing to getting to yell drunken abuse at my friends on stage' date=' I almost always had a tremendous time. My fondest memories of Aberdeen will always include Drakes.

I don't like this one bit.[/quote']

i remember those nights. makers mark. djing with jagermeister before and after each band. laeto, macrocosmica, mts, stand up guy, oh the list goes on.

memories. they cant take memories away.

i look forward to popping by at some point tonight :D

Guest stuartmaxwell

yes it was a fantastic evening that cat on form show. its funny i seem to speak to lots of fowk who "were there" but in essence there was about 8 people there

cat on form were a great band. RIP.

the album structure and fear is awesome

I joined the dr drakes family a year ago (shit was it me that fucked it!!!!) and like many share fond memories of the old drakes too. Absolutely gutted that it is closing, mainly cause I will now have to get another job and it will be near impossible to find one where my collegues are so fucking ace, where I laugh so much (sometimes at the bands.....only joking), where the customers are so friendly (although u cld have tipped more you tight bastards :nono: ) and where I often wanted to hang out on my nights off. ;(

So heres to all the mental metal nights :rockon: , the fabulous fudge night , the incomparable interesting music nights , the eclectic open mic, the gone-but-not-forgotten elizium nights, all the other random nights that are memories all on their own and the tinnitus that will be a life-long reminder of the fabulous Dr Drakes.

See you all tonight to get pissed and tomorrow night to facilitate you getting pissed.

Lenny (the girl in drakes who isn't sharon)

xxxxxx

Guest Bob Double Jack
Without Drakes' date=' The Moorings would probably still be putting on the Bash Street Kids to a crowd of geriatrics every week... why?

Because they lined the owners pockets by dragging the punters in perhaps?

Guest Andrew Griswold

No joke, Drake's was mine and The Dangerfields' favourite UK venue. It's fuckin' sad that it's closing but we'll always have the memories of 10,000 fun gigs and much aftershock, red bull and Slayer! Thanks to everyone involved for their hard work, belief and rock'n'roll spirit. Drake's is dead, long live Drake's!