aberdeen-music

John Peel Dies

Guest tv tanned

This might not be a popular opinion, but I don't happen to think the current situation regarding coverage of music is that bad. Radio One is a million times more serious about music than it was in the Seventies, even if it is rather elitist and very ageist, and has been ever since the Bannister era. But wheras in the Seventies all we had was endless DLT and Simon Bates, and in the 80s Gary Davies. Bruno Brooks/ Pat Sharpe etc with just Vance/ Freeman and Peel getting one slot each a week, now we have many many more outlets.

Digital radio and the internet mean 1Xtra, 6Music and such like, meaning that whatever the genre you're into, there are a hundred ways of knowing what's new in it. Email lists, wesbites etc mean a band can make itself know to those who are looking even though the live scene etc is not what it was. The one really sad omission from it all is The Old Grey Whistle Test, as there is nothing today that comes close, not even Jools. What we will lose with Peel is that one particular show which, to a new band, getting played on it was like getting their first Marquee support.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neil ex

anyone that played in an band/any true music fan should have supported what peel was doing and i think everyone did. i can only echo what's already been said - he was an inspiration!

They say the Devil has all the best music' date=' well i'd say the rolls are reversed tonight.

RIP John Peel [b'](a real lover of music)

well said. godbless john peel. a true music fan in every sense. invented the best rule ever. only two types of music in this world....i think you all know the rest by now

rip john peel

It's weird, I was just wondering to someone the other day who the celebrity death who was actually worth grieving over would be this year. Joe in 2002, Bob Monkhouse last year... bugger that it had to be John Peel this year.

Here's a story from Seymour Glass from Miss Black America which I think highlights why John Peel was liked by everyone ever:

"So I'll just tell you about the last time he rang me, and we got talking about punk, and the Sex Pistols, and told me about the time in the late seventies when he and another Radio One DJ were sat outside a cafe in Waterloo Station, eating pizza, when they noticed Steve Jones from the Pistols and a bunch of punk hangers-on looking hard at some benches nearby. Jones clocked Peel sat there, said something to his associates, and walked over to where Peel was sitting. "Excuse me, mate," said Jones, "I think you're a cunt." "Oh, right" said Peel, and carried on eating his pizza. "Did you hear what I said?" said Jones, "I think you're a CUNT." Peel put down his pizza, stood up to face the guitarist and told him, "Look, I know that what you want is to fight me so you can win and look hard in front of your mates. To be honest, I can't be bothered to fight you 'cause I'm hungry and I'm only going to lose. So if you're going to punch me, do it now and then I can carry on eating my pizza." Jones looked completely baffled, stared at Peel for a few seconds more, muttered "cunt" one more time, and then shuffled off back to his mates."

Peelie is one of the musical heros like MESmith, Lee Perry and Cpt Beefheart. He managed to make a lot of people broadminded and thats a damn fine thing to achieve.

The best way to remember Peel is try out some new bands, genres, radio stations or whatever. He was always searching for "tomorrows music today" and so should we.

BTW for the person who asked if my avatar was Jesus a few months ago - no its someone called John Peel...

Dave

it was the saddest news i've heard in a long long time, even today i'm still shellshocked by it. i almost cried yesterday. so much has been lost with john peel. not just the greatest shining light in new music or in fact music at all but any hope there ever was for countless young bands or people of truly 'different' musical tastes to get their music played. the last true saviour, the last true legend is gone. our music will never be the same again.

and it fucking sucks.

rip john peel, my thoughts are with his family.

... asked if my avatar was Jesus...

no, someone more important that that ... ho ho.

the PR company that pushed Jesus as a white dude have done so well !

Did anyone see the Arse (mark E smith) on newsnight last night ?

talk about a prick, fucking up the opportunity to say some nice things about the man that made him...

Did anyone see the Arse (mark E smith) on newsnight last night ?

talk about a prick' date=' fucking up the opportunity to say some nice things about the man that made him...[/quote']

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/tvseq/newsnight/newsnight.ram

Peel tribute on Newsnight - starts after 17 mins. And yes MES was a mess who seemed to have a tongue problem last night. Maybe MES & live(ish) TV just dont go together...

Dave

First celebrity death I've been properly shocked by for ages, totally out of the blue.

In general, I don't really like the radio, and the fact that John Peel actually played music that made real music fans want to listen to it is a testament to his greatness. Almost every time I've gone onto a website for some band I've heard or seen to check them out there's always some endorsement from John Peel leaving me thinking "Is there any good band on this planet that John Peel hasn't gone out of his way to endorse or promote".

I listened to some of the tribute stuff on Radio 1 today and Colin Murray and Edith were speaking about how they'd come into the studio with a bottle of wine to watch Steve Lamacq do the tribute show only to realise there wasn't a bottle opener in the whole place. They searched for ages until someone suggested looking in John's desk and sure enough, a bottle opener was there. That's Rock and Roll.

i can honestly never feel being this grieved about someone i didnt know dying but on reflection i think it was the way he touched so many people in so many different ways and was a genuine bloke who loved what he did. the gap he's leaving is too big to ever fill but i think we can all learn a lot about the man's attitude and the great music he championed. but he did it all out of an unrivelled passion of wanting to share with us the music he loved, never looking to follow trends.

luckily enough i taped a show recently cos he had the wedding present in session on it, i was swelling up listening in the early hours this morning, he played one of my favourite records of all time 'aikea guinea' by the cocteau twins and told tales of losing his glasses and spilling someones pint in the only way he knew how. i hope radio 1 keep playing the session tracks in his slot for the next few weeks, i thought lamacq did a fine job last night, you could tell he was nearly swelling up on air but he kept it together.

if there's any good to come out of this maybe radio 1 might realise a lot of the music he championed deserves more airplay.

"theres music i like and music I dont, its as simple as that' John Peel 1939 - 2004