aberdeen-music

Your Musical U-turns

ca_gere

On Biffy: I still like them. They still play a lot of their old weird stuff live too which is cool. Last time they were at the AECC they played Jaggy Snake and it was awesome. They're more of a gateway band now, I suppose, in that people who like them for the anthems are getting exposed to a world of jarring riffs. Some of them will get into it having never thought about it before. Which is nice.

The Smashing Pumpkins. The first song of theirs that I heard was Tonight, Tonight and that nasal billy corgan whine with the string section behind it put me right off. It was only 4/5 years ago that I went back and gave them a proper chance and now I'd go as far as to say I'm a fan. Not a Jan level fan but a well wisher, in that I wish them no specific harm.

On a similar note my first memory of Radiohead was a tiny little clip of Street Spirit played during something like the Brit Awards. It sounded whiny an uncool compared to other songs nominated by great acts like oasis and the bluetones. I avoided them for years after until I was about 16 and they became my favourite band and obsessed over them. Thankfully I turned back a bit the other way and no longer think that every song they have written is better than every song written by every other band.

The Smashing Pumpkins should have died in 2000 at The Metro in Chicago (not literally). Anything released after that under the name 'Smashing Pumpkins' is fraudulent.

Add Death Cab to the list of bands that have gotten worse with time. I still listen to We have The Facts but their latter material is mince.

Edited by Skacel

On a similar note... The Postal Service. Used to think that album was great, coming along right at the time when (for want of a better description) people started putting real singing into electronic music. Now, those same songs I used to love annoy the shit out of me. 

Didn't like Nirvana until In Utero and worked backwards from there.  Didn't like Radiohead until OK Computer.  Along with several bands whose names escape me which I dismissed when young simply because of the type of people I knew listened to them (stupid reason I know, but I was young and stupid) and probably now like and enjoy.

I used to like the Arctic Monkeys. Liked their first album because it sounded like a bunch of mates getting together and playing. Now, they are over produced (IMO) and are now part of the 'hype'

So is that me going off the AM's or them changing and me not liking the new stuff? Probably the latter. Still put me off them though.

Not really a U turn but The Fall. I was aware pf them through the 80's on the back of some of their more accessible songs that saw them hover around the charts - Mr Pharmacist, Hit the North, Victoria, Theres a Ghost in My House- but at that time their general reputation as a 'difficult' band and the combination of their large back catalogue and limited funds at that stage in life meant I never investigated further. It wasnt till the early 2000's that I plumped for buying a copy of Hex Enduction Hour in an HMV sale that I became quite hooked, bought all the most highly regarded points in their career and have slowly ended up adding missing items when i've seen them going cheap. Think I have all the studio albums now. My younger self wouldn't have got it at all but by the time I dived in I was already a big Krautrock and Beefheart fan so The Fall made perfect sense.

This is the song that had me instantly hooked

• Upvote 1

It's the Manics for me. I was utterly obsessed as a teenager, and have a ridiculously expansive collection of stuff from 1989 up to and including Everything Must Go. The Holy Bible is my favourite album of all time (I've got three copies) and my Motown Junk single rivals my Generation Terrorists double vinyl picture discs for pride of place. The Faster/PCP double A side 7" is just flawless etc etc etc. I was OBSESSED.

However, they are pretty shit now and have been really since TIMTTMY. I bought Futurology after reading so many positive reviews (I'd tapped out entirely after KYE), but it's just meh. I wish reviewers like Simon Price (whose "Everything" bio is outstanding) would review the record the Manics actually made, rather than the one they wish they had. 1990s FTW.

I've had another think about this and realised that one case of a U turn was with Hendrix. I always thought his playing was just a load of twiddle-deeddle and erm...wank! I like Crosstown Traffic because it was being used as a tv commercial soundtrack or something. Anyway, I was down town one day and went into one of those shops that sell 2nd stuff for charity. Can't remember which one. There on the shelf was a cassettee of Hendrix c/w croostown traffic on it. 50p it was so I thought ok just get it. It was never off the car stereo for months. I played it over and over again....slowly getting to dislike crosstown and liking the other tracks better. Still to this day some of Jimi Hendrix tracks move me and make me just listen to how he played and what he was saying. Awesome gezzer.