aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Oi Joda, don't you be dissing my boyhood heroes. Everton Mavericks have fuck all to do with your plight. Take a look at the league table, buddy.

And leave Martinez the fuck alone.

You can take Ally McCoist from Rangers and do everyone in Scotland a favour. Or Neil Lennon. Or both for the dream team.

Who do you want to replace him with? 

Chatting with people on another forum about who Man Utd fans and Arsenal fans who want Wenger out to replace them with is interesting.  Not that many options it seems to be.

Pep isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Klopp is the obvious one everyone mentions with these jobs but when his squad isn't gutted with injuries he's got a pretty good thing at Dortmund. Would he want to go?

Martinez is having a good year but it's his first good year at a bigger club. Don't think he's ready yet (remember when Owen Coyle was the next big manager?).

Rogers is settled at Liverpool, he's not moving.

Simeone is doing great at Athletico so will he want to move? Maybe if they sell his best players he will.

Mancini? Is he really the answer? He had a lot of money to spend at City and he did ok I guess.

Who else is there? Van Gaal could be one but he's 62/63, hardly a long term solution.

I said all along that I didn't think Fergie's successor had to be the long term option from the off. Football has changed alot since Fergie took the job, and since Wenger took the Arsenal job. It's ruthless. I think what United needed was a stop gap. Someone who could have an instant impact and maintain the challenge, whilst having the guile to ship out the cloggers who are way beyond their prime. Moyes was never ever going to be an instant-impact manager.

Klopp is an attractive prospect, though I think he knows that he, and the rest of the Bundesliga, have a slim chance of catching Bayern Munich for the next 4 or 5 years, so there is a chance he may want a new challenge, unless he is relishing the challenge of stopping Bayern, which will be impossible if they keep cherrypicking his best men.

Martinez is the same as Moyes, in terms of reputation. United need a proven winner. Martinez plays good football, and Moyes at Everton played good football, but that hasn't translated to taking a big job. I think Martinez is capable of taking a top job, but not yet.

Rodgers. Great coach tactically and a solid man manager, but still lacks pedigree, though I can't see him moving, especially not to United. I think he'll be at Liverpool for a number of years.

Simeone is great. He's got something excellent going at Atletico. rarely outsmarted tactically. He's superb and he's got a couple of league titles in South America under his belt, and the UEFA Cup and a Copa Del Rey. If he wins the title, then there's no chance of him budging, but if he misses out, and a top club swipe away Costa and Koke, and they lose Courtois, he may fancy jumping ship rather than rebuilding. I'd take Simeone.

Mancini can do one. Terrible man manager from all the stuff that was coming out of City. Had no handle on the big egos. How's he going to simmer down a Rooney hissy fit when he's "angry and confused" because he's been asked to play in midfield? Richard Keys reckons he's the answer for both United and Arsenal. Keys is a chump. I wouldn't want Mancini. I'd take Rafa Benitez over Mancini, genuinely.

If not Simeone, then Guus Hiddink, though both of those are unrealistic. The most realistic and desirable option would be Gary Neville, if he can be prized away from being on the telly. If United had to give the job to someone who had no track record of top level success, then I'd rather the job was given to a former player with a love for the club, and Gary Neville would be ideal. The boy knows his onions and calls a spade a spade. He never backed down from kicking his own players up the arse whilst on the pitch, so I think he could do the same as the boss. None of this "We played well, but we lost 3-0. I don't know what I have to do to win" that Mr Unremarkable himself is continually spouting.

tl;dr version: Moyes: Suck it. Gary Neville: Get off the telly and suit up.

Edited by Joda Serk

If not Simeone, then Guus Hiddink, though both of those are unrealistic. The most realistic and desirable option would be Gary Neville, if he can be prized away from being on the telly. If United had to give the job to someone who had no track record of top level success, then I'd rather the job was given to a former player with a love for the club, and Gary Neville would be ideal. The boy knows his onions and calls a spade a spade. He never backed down from kicking his own players up the arse whilst on the pitch, so I think he could do the same as the boss. None of this "We played well, but we lost 3-0. I don't know what I have to do to win" that Mr Unremarkable himself is continually spouting.

tl;dr version: Moyes: Suck it. Gary Neville: Get off the telly and suit up.

Gary Neville, Phil Neville and Ryan Giggs.

I've said that before and I'll say it again.

If United want to carry on the Fergie philosophy, they need Fergie disciples.  Promote from within (sort of) - a bit like Barca.

I think they have to do that, or they have to appoint someone (not Moyes, although I thought he was a good choice at the time) who will have a long term project to change United - so it isn't an extension of Fergie.  It's either that or just turn into one of the other clubs and cherry pick a top manager on big wages, who will be there for a couple of seasons at a time.

If I was in charge, I'd go down the first route and try and get Gary Neville on board.  Absolutely die-hard Man United into the bargain.

It's all bollocks anyway.  The title race in Scotland hasn't been remotely competitive outside of the Old Firm for years, but the actual domestic game has been more competitive than it's been for as long as I can remember.  The all conquering Celtic knocked out of the league cup by a lower league team and taken apart by Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup.  Aberdeen winning the League Cup against ICT on penalties.  The Scottish Cup is anyone's really - St. Johnstone probably least favoured to win the thing, but any of the other 3 left could win it.  Great fight going on for second place.  United look unlikely to get into second now, but it's not unthinkable.  Aberdeen and Motherwell only a point apart with only 8 matches to go.  Top 6 / Bottom 6 already decided though - but only 7 points separates 7th to 11th.

All that with a lot of good football being played.

• Upvote 1

"League of Nations" announced for odd numbered years starting after the 2018 World Cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26747394

Sounds like a champions league affair for internationals and a total protectionist stitch up for higher ranked teams to prevent them risking their FIFA ranking points by playing lower ranked teams.  Games against top teams and teams from South America and Europe get you the most points so this will ensure that Spain, Italy, France, Germany and England protect their FIFA ranking by never playing meaningless friendlies against shit teams.  And shit teams like Wales and Scotland can never play friendlies against good teams so can't make big jumps in the rankings.

FIX!

Noone is expecting anything other than a 5-0 pumping from Bayern right? I'm finding it harder and harder to root for Moyes and see absolutely no way other than freak own goals, debatable red cards and multiple injuries that they'll scrape past Bayern but it'd be some story if they did.

Didn't the rules for qualification change next season, because of what happened to Spurs? I'm sure I read somewhere that if United were to miraculously win the Champions League, but finish 7th, the Premier League would have 5 teams in the Champions League next season. Is that right, or totally made up?

With all the talk about how uncompetitive the Scottish league is and Celtic could wrap it up tonight at least they've been pushed 4 games further than Bayern.  Won the Bundesliga last night after 27 games

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26713870

For the record Bundesliga teams play 4 fewer matches.

"League of Nations" announced for odd numbered years starting after the 2018 World Cup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26747394

Sounds like a champions league affair for internationals and a total protectionist stitch up for higher ranked teams to prevent them risking their FIFA ranking points by playing lower ranked teams.  Games against top teams and teams from South America and Europe get you the most points so this will ensure that Spain, Italy, France, Germany and England protect their FIFA ranking by never playing meaningless friendlies against shit teams.  And shit teams like Wales and Scotland can never play friendlies against good teams so can't make big jumps in the rankings.

FIX!

I liked this idea when it was first suggested and still do.

Didn't the rules for qualification change next season, because of what happened to Spurs? I'm sure I read somewhere that if United were to miraculously win the Champions League, but finish 7th, the Premier League would have 5 teams in the Champions League next season. Is that right, or totally made up?

I think you might have made that up. The rules in England changed after the Liverpool win in 2005 so that the fourth team would miss out, I'm not sure why they would then be changed again just because that actually happened.

Valdes got injured tonight and will be out for about 6 months which if he's leaving in the summer means he's played his last match for the club. However who know's what being injured until almost October will mean for his plans for his next club.

Let's talk biggest disappointments of the season so far:

- Jozy Altidore has got to be up there. Utterly useless. He had his chance at Hull, fucked off to Holland and looked immense, came back and has done fuck all.

- Swansea in general. So many decent players, so little cohesion.

- Soldado, just doesn't look all that capable. I thought he was gonna light it up in the premier league. Has all the attributes but seems to fluff his lines every time he gets a chance.

I still think Soldado will come good over here. He was great against Southampton. 

However I would agree that of the big signings he's been a big disappointment. Better than Lamela I suppose, he's at least getting on the pitch. 

One of the biggest disappointments for me is that Arsenal couldn't keep their early season form up and stay in the title race. The end of the season would have been even more exciting.

Biggest disappointment: how well Liverpool are doing.

Nah, I jest. I'm actually starting to not hate them, annoyingly.

Christian Benteke's 'second season syndrome' is disappointing. QPR's showing in the Championship. The rashness under which managers are being sacked. Foreign ownership in the Premier League is pretty disappointing. Vincent Tan (who's not all that tanned).