aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

As a Bayern fan I think the sending off was unlucky but understandable. Schweinsteiger should've known better, it was obvious that Rooney would be looking to make the most of that. Had it been a first offence in the game he probably would've got away with a warning but the Ref was left with no other option but to give him a second yellow. Valencia should've gone earlier though, no doubt.

Edited by Alkaline

I hadn't thought about that actually (i.e. Hearts and Rangers in the same league next season).  Hibs aren't really in danger of going down though are they?  6 points ahead of St Mirren just now.

Yes but they're recent form is atrocious. If hibs keep losing to the teams below them in the post split fixtures then they could fall into that playoff spot. However I think they only need a few points to be safe and will probably do it. 

I really can't see Hibs finishing second bottom.  Looking at the league table, over the course of 6 matches, Killie would need to get 2 more points than Hibs, Ross County - 4 more points, Partick 5 more points and St. Mirren 7 more points.  All of that would have to happen before Hibs land in the play off place.  Can't see it.  They may well drop a couple of places, but they'll surely pick up some points in the last 6 matches. 

Yeah, Hibs are awful. Truly awful. They look like they have zero fight at the moment (they can't even get themselves up for a derby against an equally woeful Hearts team FFS).

Couple that with the fact that the likes of St Mirren and Kilmarnock are not playing badly at the moment and certainly more up for a relegation scrap than Hibs and you never know what might happen.

Take off the Rooney tinted glasses for a moment.

He could have jumped the challenge and kept running, but instead he saw an opportunity to get a foul and I genuinely think he noticed it was Schweinsteiger and saw an opportunity to get him sent off.  It was a dive.

giphy.gif

Rooney clearly pokes that away. Schweinstiger gets nothing on it. Rooney is impeded, though if he doesn't go down, he doesn't get the decision, as always is the case in Europe. Why should he leapfrog him? Rooney is not obligated to avoid Schweinstigers lunge, and if Rooney doesn't move, then Schweinstigers arse end is taking out Rooney's leg.

Besides, Lahm did the same to Valencia earlier in the game to get him booked. No contact, but he's impeded his stride. Lahm goes over to get the decision. It happens. Shouldn't be doing it when already on a yellow. It's just mental from a very experienced player, in a position when they've got an away goal, and 1-1 is essentially a win for the away team.

• Upvote 1

The Barca embargo is pretty crazy. Did that come out of the blue? I'd not heard anything surrounding it, like when it happened to Chelsea over Gael Kakuta.

Ter Stegen and Halilovic were already agreed deals prior to this. Where do they stand on those? I imagine they'll appeal it and have it turned over. These harsh punishments are always lessened on appeal it seems. Especially to big clubs.

Where is Gael Kakuta anyway? 

Edited by Joda Serk

I don't think I said it wasn't a foul.  Maybe I did - I maintain it was a dive though.  It was clever or "cute" play from Rooney.  He saw the challenge coming, poked the ball away and threw himself over Schweinsteiger's legs, knees bent, feet up in the air, snapped the head back.  The sort of shit that (as someone earlier pointed out) Robben would get lambasted for.

Rooney doesn't have to hurdle him, nor does he have to run straight into the challenge.  It would have been as easy to hurdle him as it would have been to go down like he'd been shot in the head as it would have been to "ride the challenge" and go down naturally, rather than as if he'd been shot, and just take the free kick, but he made the absolute most of it possible in an attempt to get Schweinsteiger sent off (in my opinion).

Everyone does what Rooney did these days and I don't have a major problem with Rooney doing it.  It's just a tad embarrassing to be honest and I think Rooney looked embarrassed by it himself.  It's just the hypocritical nature of the thing - when someone English (or British, whatever) does it, nobody seems to bat an eyelid (I'm talking commentators / pundits / etc).

Edited by Gladstone

Fifa only allows international youth transfers when one of three situations apply: the player's parents have moved country for their own, non-related reasons: the move takes place within the European Union if a player is aged between 16 and 18; or the player's home is less than 50km from the national border being crossed.

Is this a new rule? I'm a bit confused by this ban. Reading that every top team in Europe is surely guilty?

If they're outwith the EU they are usually very careful about when they sign.

Arsenal had to wait a year for Wellington Silva in 09 before he could sign officially.  Since then they couldn't get a work permit for him anyway.

SJ is right about 16 year olds in general as that's when you can sign a professional contract but again that's within the EU.

They will surely be allowed to sign a keeper though? They were given special dispensation to sign a keeper outwith the transfer window as soon as Valdes got injured, just chose not to.

I'm amazed that there had been no sign of this coming in the press until BAM, one of the biggest clubs in europe can't sign players.

Edited by Paranoid Android

If they're outwith the EU they are usually very careful about when they sign.

True. When United signed the Da Silva twins, they signed at 16, but couldn't play until they were 18. I can't remember if the deal was official prior to them being 18, but I'm sure I remember them signing way before they actually played for United.