aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Did Hernandez even touch the ball? Probably not. United fall to bits against teams that press. Boot it to no one and just let them come at you again. They are several technically skilled players away from being able to compete at that level. It looks like only Kagawa can play football when under pressure. Everyone else just hoofs.

At least Evra's goal was the greatest goal of all time. Moral victory over Bayern's wank tap-ins. Grumble.

Atletico were superb today, absolutely bossed the first 20 minutes and should have got more than one and then were secure for the rest of the game and always looked deadly on the break. I hope they win the whole thing now.

Judging from bbc reports and one friend it sounds like united did nothing but hold out until the game opened up and then got found wanting. Glad they're out. 

Bayern just stepped up a gear after United's goal. Great team - hoping for a Bayern v Atletico final.

I'm hoping for that final too. I hope Atletico win the double. That would be something. Simeone is a totally badass.

Bayern are superb, and almost untouchable, but their centre backs can be got at if they are up against a team who can actually get a foot on the ball. Only Kagawa looked like he wanted to play football and thrived when being pressed. The other 10 United players just booted it upfield or into touch as soon as one Bayern player pressed. The pundits banged on about how "brave" United were, but they really weren't. They shat it any time a player in a red shirt stepped near them. It was a timid performance. The gulf in class is gaping.

I've heard a couple of times today already that Atletico pulled off a major shock by beating Barca.

How on earth does that constitute a major shock? The team sitting top of the Spanish League beats the team sitting second 1-0 at home after drawing 1-1 away from home. It's not even remotely surprising let alone a major shock.

Edited by Gladstone

Bayern just stepped up a gear after United's goal. Great team - hoping for a Bayern v Atletico final.

Agreed. I'd be happy with either winning it so I could really enjoy that final.

I think Bayern are the best team of the four but will be hoping to avoid Chelsea in the semis. Chelsea would probably play the same way united did but with better players. Chelsea wouldn't concede 22 seconds after scoring, no way.

I've heard a couple of times today already that Atletico pulled off a major shock by beating Barca.

How on earth does that constitute a major shock? The team sitting top of the Spanish League beats the team sitting second 1-0 at home after drawing 1-1 away from home. It's not even remotely surprising let alone a major shock.

A team that got relegated 15 years ago is now pushing for the champions league and has beaten Barca in the CL. Its more a shock than your making out tbh. 

You're right about the result, I'd say the big shock was how comprehensive the victory was. All the other matches they have played have been very tight, I don't think anyone expected Atletico to outclass Barca so much last night.

A team that got relegated 15 years ago is now pushing for the champions league and has beaten Barca in the CL. Its more a shock than your making out tbh.

It's not surprising in the context of this season though.

Man Utd getting pumped out of the CL by Bayern comprehensively isn't a shock because Man Utd have been shite this season.

I don't think Atletico getting to the semi final and putting out Barca is a shock. Atletico's fantastic form over the course of this season and them sitting top of the Spanish league is certainly a shock from what everyone would have expected at the start of the season.

But having got the score draw in the first leg I can't believe anyone is surprised that Atletico completed the job last night. Equally, it wouldn't have been surprising if Barca had gone through. The reports I've heard we're calling the fact that Atletico put Barca out a 'major shock'.

Do you really agree with that?

The shock is that they have been knocked out full stop, people expect Barca to get to the final every year based on the last 5 years. The shock is that Barca did not up their game last night, and Athletico were pretty comfortable, ontop of the fact that Athletico have kinda come out of nowhere with their consistency this year, no one at the start of the season thought this was a possibility. 

Man Utd getting beaten by the best team in the world currently is no shock at all. It was more of a shock that it took so long for Bayern to put them to bed.

The shock is that they have been knocked out full stop, people expect Barca to get to the final every year based on the last 5 years. The shock is that Barca did not up their game last night, and Athletico were pretty comfortable, ontop of the fact that Athletico have kinda come out of nowhere with their consistency this year, no one at the start of the season thought this was a possibility. 

Man Utd getting beaten by the best team in the world currently is no shock at all. It was more of a shock that it took so long for Bayern to put them to bed.

You seem to be setting different criteria for what is a shock in relation to both matches. Only considering this seasons form for the Bayern - United match and 15 years of history for the other. 

Exactly. If the two results happened a couple of seasons ago I would have been surprised by both.

Atletico are more than holding their own in domestic competition, sitting top at this very late stage.

I'm not saying Atletico's consistency, title bid and CL form aren't surprising. I'm just saying that standalone result last night was nothing like a major shock in the context of the past 6 months or so which is far more relevant than what happened 15 years ago.

Not really. Man Utd or Bayern have not been relegated in the last 15 years. It takes a hell of a lot to take a club from a relegated level to a champions league contender, without the backing of Arab oil money. So its quite a shock to see Athletico doing what they are doing this year. Its also a shock to see Barca have so few ideas on how to break them down.

Like it or not Barca are by far the bigger club when compared to Athletico, so when a smaller club puts out a bigger one, its a shock. Bayern and Man Utd are not so far apart in terms of sizes of clubs and as i say Bayern are currently the best club side in the world, its no shock when they beat someone. 

The most impressive thing about Atletico is that fatigue hasn't really caught up with them yet. In some league games they have looked a little tired but got through them but in the big games there's not a sign of it. They've competed on three fronts most of the season with quite a small squad. Everyone seems to accept that not having European football has benefited Liverpool this season, it's amazing that Atletico are on course for success on both fronts.

I hadn't realised until today that Atletico would have to pay Chelsea are large sum of money if they want Cortuois to play against them. Load of shite.

Very clever management by Chelsea. The chances of them meeting in Europe slim so a very good shout to even recognise the merits in including a clause like that. Likewise, Atletico probably though 'okay, what's the big deal if it gets things tied up?'.

Will be interesting if they're drawn together though! I think Atletico will have to pay the money, I would if I was boss on FM.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes

Well - I wasn't shocked when Atletico beat Barca.

I was more shocked when it was labelled a "major shock" in the news.

It is definitely impressive though and I hope they win the league and the CL.  That would be great to see.

It wasn't that long ago that Aberdeen qualified out of a Europe League group that contained Atletico Madrid...