aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

Replays for finals. Those people in the past sure were crazy.

I remember reading about Celtic playing in the equivalent of the World Club Championships final back in probably 1967ish.  "Final" being the only match I think.  I think it was basically champions of Europe vs champions of South America.  Celtic played an Argentine team - I may have some of this wrong as it's a bit of a distant memory...

To save typing out an incorrect bad memory - I googled it - here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Intercontinental_Cup

Three legs played, culminating in an all out violent battle in the third.  Brilliant.

Not really. Man Utd or Bayern have not been relegated in the last 15 years. It takes a hell of a lot to take a club from a relegated level to a champions league contender, without the backing of Arab oil money. So its quite a shock to see Athletico doing what they are doing this year. Its also a shock to see Barca have so few ideas on how to break them down.

Like it or not Barca are by far the bigger club when compared to Athletico, so when a smaller club puts out a bigger one, its a shock. Bayern and Man Utd are not so far apart in terms of sizes of clubs and as i say Bayern are currently the best club side in the world, its no shock when they beat someone. 

I disagree. Atleti haven't just come out of nowhere. Simeone put his mark on the club as soon as he joined in 2011. Atleti have an immense record under him ever since, and they were no slouches prior to that either. Their scouting and recruitment is virtually unparalleled.

They won the Europa League 2 seasons ago against Bielsa's awesome Athletic Bilbao, and then the Super Cup, beating Champions League winners Chelsea. They have very recent European pedigree. They won the Copa Del Rey last season as well, so taking on the Champions League was the next step of their progression. They may be a dark horse beneath the giants like Bayern and Madrid, but their improvement has been gradual over the past 3 years. They were tipped before the season started to upset the duopoly in the league as they finished strongly in 3rd last season, and they're pushing on as expected. They could win La Liga, and it wouldn't be a shock, because they've been so consistent, and they've been building towards this.

I don't think it really matters that Atleti got relegated in the 90s, especially as they've always been a massive club. Dortmund were on the brink of financial collapse and being dissolved as a football club around about that time as well, but it doesn't make their Champions League final appearance and their back to back title wins a shock. They were just a damn good team under a great manager. The same is happening at Atleti.

A shock would be if United won the Champions league. They are a massive club. In terms of value, they are only bettered by Madrid, but United are fucking garbage right now, so if they won it, it would underwhelm the world over. Kind of like when Chelsea won it. It wasn't so much a shock. It was just a big "Oh..."

• Upvote 2

In slightly related news, Barcelona complained about the grass being too long and dry at the Vicente Calderon last night.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2600454/Barcelona-complain-UEFA-length-grass-Vicente-Calderon-ahead-Champions-League-showdown-Atletico.html

I really don't want to dislike Barca, but it's just so easy to. There's nothing they can't kick up a stink about. It's especially good when they moan about teams parking the bus, even though they employ a tactic which naturally forces teams to defend and not get a foot on the ball. What are they expecting?

But Atleti are clearly at fault here. An unquestionable breach of the Make Your Pitch As Good As Possible For Barcelona sanction. I say boot them out of Europe for bad gardening!

Edited by Joda Serk

They didn't make any official complaint about it, they just said they thought the grass was a bit long and Atletico said that it was getting cut the morning of the match. It's not like they have blamed the grass for their defeat.

And it's hardly worthy of a news story.

Edited by Paranoid Android

They didn't directly blame the pitch, but they did say they couldn't play their natural game. Barca seem to have history with this complaint as well. They accused Real Madrid of it a couple of years ago too, and another club earlier this season. They do seem to love a moan.

I just want Bayern to get Chelsea in the semi so we can get a really good final without Jose.

Please.  I don't think I could handle the possibility of John Terry winning the Champions League again.

We spoke about this last night at mines, the only possible thing that could make it ok for Chelsea reaching the final would be Terry either missing another pen or scoring an og to hand the cup to whoever they are playing. 

We spoke about this last night at mines, the only possible thing that could make it ok for Chelsea reaching the final would be Terry either missing another pen or scoring an og to hand the cup to whoever they are playing. 

Or just being on the losing side. I'd be fine with that.

Knowing John terry, if Chelsea did lose the final and he missed the game due to suspension, he'd probably join the players on the pitch in full kit and shinpads at full time and stand there looking teary and disappointed.

Great Joy of Six about goal scoring keepers http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/apr/11/joy-of-six-goalscoring-goalkeepers

Includes some ace youtube clips including a keeper getting his 100th career goal from a 25 yard free kick and a keeper dribbling half the length of the pitch before firing into the net.

• Upvote 1

Love that draw. I love Atletico in-general, actually. What a brilliant team to watch. The first 20-or-so minutes of the Barca second leg were batshit mental, and not just because of Pinto. They just launched an absolute blitzkrieg. Then they sat back and defended like lions. I can't really think of a team in world football that mirror's its manager's personality so closely, other than Pardew's Newcastle.

Courtois to save a Lampard penalty, Diego Costa to leave John Terry on his arse en route to scoring the decisive goal.