aberdeen-music

2013/2014 Season

Eupraxia

I wish people would chant my name to the tune of a selection of 80s hits.

I tend to be quite reasonable with my feelings towards referees, y'know, it's a tough job and even if they make a decision I don't agree with, but I can see the logic in it, fair enough. But that guy yesterday was displaying some next level fuckwittery. I can't believe he didn't come up with a reason for the penalties to not count. I'm still raging. Boo-urns.

Didn't get home until 1am last night. Over 10 hours driving yesterday, 2 hours of terrible football and 4 great penalties.  Totally fucking worth it!

Take it you got stuck in the traffic on the way back? Took us 3 hours to get from Glasgow to Sterling! 

Worth every minute tho! Crap game, dons were a bit limp without Hayes and Pawlett, but Anderson and Reynolds were immense all game.

I've had 5 hours sleep, i cant really speak and im not going to do much at work today, but it was totally worth it! 

Aye, crawled all the way to Cumbernauld. Then queued for an hour again between Broxden and the A90. Then another queue in Dundee.  Then had to drop my mates off in Montrose, Stoney and Aberdeen before heading back to Banchory.

Dead today but who cares.  Looking forward to watching the game again tonight on the plus box.  If I fast forward to the highlights it should only take a few minutes... 

The cup final was a snooze, though Aberdeen's penalties were solid. Barry Robson's run up was huge. I thought he was going to Charlie Adam it. Great penalty.

I haven't watched Aberdeen in a year or two. Who is Shay Logan? I've never heard of him. Is he always awful? He was pretty awful.

There was a handful of direct free kicks on the edge of the box which were appalling. Every single one got hoofed. Just blast it at the legs of the wall and hope for a deflection.

I wasn't really fussed who won, but glad the better team won overall. Inverness were dire.

The cup final was a snooze, though Aberdeen's penalties were solid. Barry Robson's run up was huge. I thought he was going to Charlie Adam it. Great penalty.

I haven't watched Aberdeen in a year or two. Who is Shay Logan? I've never heard of him. Is he always awful? He was pretty awful.

There was a handful of direct free kicks on the edge of the box which were appalling. Every single one got hoofed. Just blast it at the legs of the wall and hope for a deflection.

I wasn't really fussed who won, but glad the better team won overall. Inverness were dire.

I thought Logan was decent yesterday.  The only Aberdeen players I thought performed badly were Jack and McGinn.  "Performed badly" is perhaps a bit harsh but Jack gave the ball away a lot in the middle of the park and with Hayes and Pawlett out, McGinn was Aberdeen's best creative hope - he just didn't seem to get going.  His miss near the end was poor - great chance to end the torture a bit sooner for the fans...

Anderson was absolutely immense.  The last few games I've watched, I've thought Reynolds has been the rock in defence, but Anderson didn't put a foot wrong yesterday.  Great captain's performance and very unlucky with that volley off the post!

4 very calm penalties and one great save from Langfield.

Bit of a shite game really but who cares?  Apparently, cup parade starts at Albyn at 1pm on Sunday.

Was just catching up with the last few pages and saw the guy turning down a penalty.  Wieghorst did something similar for Denmark in a major championships - anyone remember?  He side footed the penalty about 6 foot wide.

I thought Logan looked ok as well, he struggled with no out ball infront of him all game and spent most of it making sure they didnt get caught out with Robsons lack of pace. I think what yesterday showed is we have no real squad to fall back on. With Hayes and Pawlett out, there really wasnt anyone else who could do what they do, Law and Smith are not the same kinds of players, Smith struggled as well unfortunately. Anderson and Reynolds were immense all game, nothing was getting past those two, Reynolds reading of the ball is fantastic as well, he had everything covered all game. Considine was the one that worried me, he kinda looked like an ogar trying to run, or that he was carrying some kind of knock, either way, he looked miles off the pace at times, i think a proper left back is a must in the summer. 

• Upvote 3

I thought Logan looked ok as well, he struggled with no out ball infront of him all game and spent most of it making sure they didnt get caught out with Robsons lack of pace. I think what yesterday showed is we have no real squad to fall back on. With Hayes and Pawlett out, there really wasnt anyone else who could do what they do, Law and Smith are not the same kinds of players, Smith struggled as well unfortunately. Anderson and Reynolds were immense all game, nothing was getting past those two, Reynolds reading of the ball is fantastic as well, he had everything covered all game. Considine was the one that worried me, he kinda looked like an ogar trying to run, or that he was carrying some kind of knock, either way, he looked miles off the pace at times, i think a proper left back is a must in the summer. 

I think that of Considine every time he plays actually but thought he was reasonably assured yesterday.  He is very slow and cumbersome.  He's no Ricky Foster... ;)

Reynolds has a brilliant turn of pace too which really helps out if ever there's a ball in behind the defence.  I thought Low played well, but Smith struggled a bit.  Both very young though.

I think more needs to be said of how much we miss Hayes and Pawlett. We don't have anyone that is willling to take players on, so it left us slightly flat in midfield.

To be honest though, if people wanted entertaining football, they could've watched the semi-final, quarter-final and he third round. All cracking games(as well as a million others this season).

I love football just now.

• Upvote 1

I think more needs to be said of how much we miss Hayes and Pawlett. We don't have anyone that is willling to take players on, so it left us slightly flat in midfield.

To be honest though, if people wanted entertaining football, they could've watched the semi-final, quarter-final and he third round. All cracking games(as well as a million others this season).

I love football just now.

Totally agree.

Pawlett I think more so than Hayes.  He's the boss.  But the pair of them running at defences at pace creates so much of Aberdeen's spark.

Without them, Aberdeen are solid and very difficult to beat but the most potent threat really comes from a set piece.

The thing is though - how good a squad can Aberdeen realistically have?  You can't have someone as good as or nearly as good as Pawlett or Hayes sitting on the bench at a team of Aberdeen's (financial) level, can you?  It's also very difficult to justify more than two of them in the starting line up because there is a great balance in the side.  What would be good, as suggested by Milner would be a better, quicker left back who can get forward and support the attacks.  Logan is capable of that on the right, but didn't manage to do too much damage with Robson (and his lack of pace) playing in front of him on Sunday.

It's a tricky one because without those two in the team, Aberdeen look so different - but realistically, how can they be covered.  Some exciting young(er) prospects could be good back up, but not sure if there are any of similar ilk waiting to break through?

EDIT:  I'll probably just leave this to McInnes to be fair.  He seems to know what he's doing ;)

Edited by Gladstone

Anyone who has ever seen an Aberdeen Vs ICT match knows what to expect in terms of the football on the park. Add to it the occasion and nerves and it was always going to be a tight affair with few scoring opportunities.

My safety bet was on no goal scorer which was a small consolation at having to miss the match due to a sickness bug.

A few folk have been moaning about the ref but I don't think he did too badly. Foran should have been sent off. He got booked early and should have been given a second yellow for persistent fouling. Both Aberdeen and ICT should have had penalties. Apart from that the ref was ok.

Anyone who has ever seen an Aberdeen Vs ICT match knows what to expect in terms of the football on the park. Add to it the occasion and nerves and it was always going to be a tight affair with few scoring opportunities.

My safety bet was on no goal scorer which was a small consolation at having to miss the match due to a sickness bug.

A few folk have been moaning about the ref but I don't think he did too badly. Foran should have been sent off. He got booked early and should have been given a second yellow for persistent fouling. Both Aberdeen and ICT should have had penalties. Apart from that the ref was ok.

Totally agree with the ref assessment.  Two "soft" penalty shouts but when you see the replays, definitely should have been penalties.  The kind that are sometimes given, sometimes not.  If Aberdeen had been awarded a penalty (and converted it) in the first half, the game would have (probably) been very different.

I thought the ref did well.  I don't think Foran should quite have been sent off for any of his challenges though.  He was charging around like a man possessed for a brief spell and got booked early on.  But when you look at the replays of his challenges, they all looked far worse in real time than in the replay.  The first one, I was shouting for him to get booked but when I saw the replay there was barely any contact.  He got booked for one shortly afterwards and then the third one was very like the first one - to pick up a second booking would have been harsh, particularly given the occasion.  He could well have picked up a second booking for all his mouthing to the ref though - I think that was at the time of ICT penalty shout was it?  He was really needing to zip it and if he hadn't been booked already, I suspect the ref might have booked him.

The ref did well to keep a lid on things - it got quite tasty for a spell in the second half.

Anyone watch the Manyoo Liverpool game on Sunday.

Just as I start to like Sturridge and how he plays he does something to remind me why I hate him.  That dive for the last penalty was pretty blatant.

Get tae fuck, no one was interested.

STAND FREE

Totally agree.

Pawlett I think more so than Hayes.  He's the boss.  But the pair of them running at defences at pace creates so much of Aberdeen's spark.

Without them, Aberdeen are solid and very difficult to beat but the most potent threat really comes from a set piece.

The thing is though - how good a squad can Aberdeen realistically have?  You can't have someone as good as or nearly as good as Pawlett or Hayes sitting on the bench at a team of Aberdeen's (financial) level, can you?  It's also very difficult to justify more than two of them in the starting line up because there is a great balance in the side.  What would be good, as suggested by Milner would be a better, quicker left back who can get forward and support the attacks.  Logan is capable of that on the right, but didn't manage to do too much damage with Robson (and his lack of pace) playing in front of him on Sunday.

It's a tricky one because without those two in the team, Aberdeen look so different - but realistically, how can they be covered.  Some exciting young(er) prospects could be good back up, but not sure if there are any of similar ilk waiting to break through?

EDIT:  I'll probably just leave this to McInnes to be fair.  He seems to know what he's doing ;)

I dont think we can hope to have another Pawlett or Hayes in the squad, but yesterday was a good example of when a player like Wylde could have been handy. Clearly he wasnt the answer, more attitude than talent, but i dont think its unreasonable to hope for another player like him to fill out the squad. Get rid of Zola, probably Vernon and Tate going back will free up some funds. We would probably need a new striker to challenge Rooney, we have Robertson coming back so maybe he will push on, and Low and Smith will be more ready to step into the midfield when we need it, so hopefully the budget could go on one or two new wide players. I think Smith is the one to hope will step into the Pawlett role at times, but yesterday just wasnt his day, he is very young tho, he will come good. We also have Declan Mcmanus and Shakland who have both got lower league football this year so maybe one of them will step up next year as well.

What i dont want us to do is start blocking the paths for these kids into our first team. We are really benefiting from people like Jack, Pawlett, Roberston, Low, and Smith getting their chance to have a game, clearly its worked really well for a few of them. Last thing we want is to start throwing too much money around at lower league English based players when they might stifle the development of what we have. God knows we dont need another Zola in our squad for next season. 

What i dont want us to do is start blocking the paths for these kids into our first team. We are really benefiting from people like Jack, Pawlett, Roberston, Low, and Smith getting their chance to have a game, clearly its worked really well for a few of them. Last thing we want is to start throwing too much money around at lower league English based players when they might stifle the development of what we have. God knows we dont need another Zola in our squad for next season. 

Very good shout.  The likes of Pawlett and Jack (in particular) were getting game time very early on and during times when Aberdeen weren't doing too well.  It's working out really well now.  As good as McInnes has been for Aberdeen - he's benefiting from the blooding of youngsters by his predecessors.

Hopefully money getting thrown around at substandard players from outside of Scotland won't happen.  A good youth setup is key.

Anyone watch the Manyoo Liverpool game on Sunday.

Just as I start to like Sturridge and how he plays he does something to remind me why I hate him.  That dive for the last penalty was pretty blatant.

I thought it was world class diving - very convincing in real time.  Much better than Rooney's woeful jump into Skrtel to try and claim a penalty.  The gulf in the quality of diving really highlighted for me the dramatic change in fortunes of the two teams over the last twelve months.

Now back to the Dons chat.

Very good shout.  The likes of Pawlett and Jack (in particular) were getting game time very early on and during times when Aberdeen weren't doing too well.  It's working out really well now.  As good as McInnes has been for Aberdeen - he's benefiting from the blooding of youngsters by his predecessors.

Hopefully money getting thrown around at substandard players from outside of Scotland won't happen.  A good youth setup is key.

Aye he is now benefiting from McGhee and Brown playing the young ones, although im going to give McInnes the most credit for Pawlett. He had been used before, but no one saw this season coming, and i think a huge part is the fact Mcinnes brought in the correct medical people and has built the team so Pawlett can be used most effectively. 

I hope your right, i really dont want to see us go back down the same route as before of picking up big earners from down south, who are not going to improve us. Hopefully tho, he manages to take in Logan on a full time contract, i really do like him as a player and he has really settled in up here.

Good dons fact, we didnt concede a single goal in the league cup this season :cool:

Edited by The Milner