aberdeen-music

The Olympics

ca_gere

i watched handball after hearing everyone say how awesome it was. it was dull.

throw ball up court, shoot, score. quickly through ball up other end of court, shoot, score.

i don't trust games where it's so easy to score. give me a 0-0 draw with a tactical stalemate any day over that pish.

I flicked over to the womens hockey instead and within minutes someone had taken a STICK TO THE FACE. that's a proper sport. there also appeared to be genuine formation and tactics.

The Serbian goalkeeper was amazing against Spain earlier today. Peter Schmeichel would have been an amazing handball keeper - he had the star jump technique mastered. Obviously ended up in the wrong sport. The British team is awful but then there was no such thing as a British handball team a few years ago so that's no surprise.

Great goal by UAE in t'soccerball there but I still reckon we'll squeak a win in this one even if our defence looks a total shambles in the second half.

Guest davetherave
currently enjoying the volleyball, no idea what the score is but team gb are definitely winning the hot athlete game:

Ditto on the womens volleyball, good sport to watch and not just for the women ;)

Katherine Grainger set a new olympic record in her qualifying heat for the double sculls. They're unbeaten in 21 (guess 22 now) races and looking good for gold. They're main rivals were 4 seconds slower in their qualifying time.

Most annoying thing about the olympics is having to rely on text updates while at work. Would be good to spend the next few weeks watching it live.

I missed most of the opening ceremony (well it was on in the pub but I wasn't really watching it and there was no sound). I hear it was cracking though. Is it worth sitting through 3 and a half hours of if I find it online?

Apparently you can skip a lot of the 'walking round the stadium with flags' bit and save yourself two hours.

Women's weightlifting is quite entertaining. 58kg girls lifting twice their bodyweight. Pretty awesome.

Plus you get great lines in the commentary....."her snatch was so impressive". etc etc

Just went through this same conversation at work.

I've been loving the olympics so far. Handball, Volleyball, Basketball, Football... all the balls basically, water polo, swimming, cycling, gymnastics, weight lifting, fencing - all have been great. Still waiting for an Eric the Eel competitor to steal the hearts of the nation. It'll come. My bet is on a Ghanian Showjumper.