aberdeen-music

The Olympics

ca_gere

Why the feck are horse events classed as Olympic sport? What a load of shite.

Less bothered by horses being in than stuff like football, tennis and golf (from 2016).

But anyway, no negativity in this thread. This is a Wooohooo! Olympics! thread not a whinging thread.

I love a good world record. I find them fascinating. The way they are broken when it really matters is astonishing - how does an athlete save the 'best for last'? You would think they would randomly break it in practice or a shitty warm up event. That long jump record is something special - set in 1968 and lasted for 20 odd years, then set again in 1991 and is currently lasting 20 odd years.

Other favorite world records?

I guess that's Scotland's first medal of the games with Mark Jamieson. A bit unlucky not to get gold - it took a world record to beat him anyway.

Heather Stanning is from Lossiemouth, although born in yeovil. i think Daniel Purvis is scottish as well, in the GB mens gymnastics.

edit: just checked wikipedia, dunno why i thought daniel purvis was scottish. sure i heard it on radio scotland the other morning.

Heather Stanning is from Lossiemouth, although born in yeovil. i think Daniel Purvis is scottish as well, in the GB mens gymnastics.

edit: just checked wikipedia, dunno why i thought daniel purvis was scottish. sure i heard it on radio scotland the other morning.

'Cause he's a ginge?

Think his mum's Scottish.

I love a good world record. I find them fascinating. The way they are broken when it really matters is astonishing - how does an athlete save the 'best for last'? You would think they would randomly break it in practice or a shitty warm up event.

Doesn't count if it's broken in training. Same with personal bests. Has to be a proper race/competition.

I love a good world record. I find them fascinating. The way they are broken when it really matters is astonishing - how does an athlete save the 'best for last'? You would think they would randomly break it in practice or a shitty warm up event. That long jump record is something special - set in 1968 and lasted for 20 odd years, then set again in 1991 and is currently lasting 20 odd years.

Other favorite world records?

Jonathan Edwards Triple jump record is pretty cool, had stood for 10 years then he broke it 3 times in 21 days, twice in the same meet, hasn't been bested for the last 17 years. The fact that only one person has gone over 18m since then and that Jonathon has 6 of the top ten best jumps in the world is just incredible.

• Upvote 2

Doesn't count if it's broken in training. Same with personal bests. Has to be a proper race/competition.

Even still, you never hear of an athlete going WR pace in training. Maybe they do and they just keep it to themselves so the surprise factor is there in competition.

Although it's since been broken, the world record that impressed me the most was Michael Johnson's 200m record in 1996. The thing that's amazing about it, apart from being the fastest anybody had ever run in history at the time, was that Frankie Fredericks in second place was only just outside the previous world record. And he was several yards back. You get to see visually just how much Johnson obliterated the record by.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see Denise Lewis doing everything she can for equality by saying women should have a separate winner at BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards, guessing she doesn't think someone winning the Tour de France and Olympic gold in the same year, plus beating her mate Steve Redgrave's total medal haul and being unbeaten in Time Trials this year deserves it.

Why the feck are horse events classed as Olympic sport? What a load of shite.

well , since the original olympics were pretty much about being a good warrior , boxing , wrestling , throwing a spear (javelin) and the discus (originally a weapon) were both in the original pentathlon , I suppose driving a horse is right up there with this stuff when it come to military prowess

Nice to see Denise Lewis doing everything she can for equality by saying women should have a separate winner at BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards, guessing she doesn't think someone winning the Tour de France and Olympic gold in the same year, plus beating her mate Steve Redgrave's total medal haul and being unbeaten in Time Trials this year deserves it.

Yeah surely having a seperate award for women actually belittles their achievements. It would be much more productive if she was to try and raise the profile of women in sport and if they changed the way athletes are nominated so there was a better chance of outstanding female athletes getting the recognition they deserve.

women in sport will always be a difficult thing to judge as so few sports let men and women compete together , it's a shame really as I'm sure some of the top women athletes would kick a lot of the guys asses , an example being Chrissie Wellington in Ironman triathlon who not only beats all the women but 99% of the men too

i was thinking about this recently and wondered if Aberdeen should try and sign some of the really good women footballers. we're priced out of top male ones but maybe we could play some great women footballers and really shake things up.

I was discussing this with someone the other day too, I wonder if it's every been tested? i.e. a 'men's' club trying to sign a woman.

Someone in the office genuinely just said he could put together a team of 11 guys from the company and they would beat any professional women's team.

Having played co-Ed football I can confirm this not to be the case. Some of the girls I've played with/against are phenomenal. At first I was skeptical but 2 mins into my first game I realized US women know how to play.

As above, tool