aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Nice interview with Xabi Alonso http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/11/xabi-alonso-spain-england-interview

Most interesting for this comment

"I don't think tackling is a quality," he says. "It is a recurso, something you have to resort to, not a characteristic of your game. At Liverpool I used to read the matchday programme and you'd read an interview with a lad from the youth team. They'd ask: age, heroes, strong points, etc. He'd reply: 'Shooting and tackling'. I can't get into my head that football development would educate tackling as a quality, something to learn, to teach, a characteristic of your play. How can that be a way of seeing the game? I just don't understand football in those terms. Tackling is a [last] resort, and you will need it, but it isn't a quality to aspire to, a definition. It's hard to change because it's so rooted in the English football culture, but I don't understand it."

great cup entertainment at the R Costings (for sponsorship purposes) Abbey Stadium last night, got an flukey injury time equalizer so in the hat for round 2 but a tall order to get a result at Wrexham but not impossible. Love Friday night games leaves Saturday free for work then drinking!

The FA have done something quite remarkable over the last week, they've actually managed to make the sight of a poppy piss me off. How mental they've all gone this year is just bizarre. I don't understand it at all.

FIFA and the FA are as bad as each other. I don't understand why FIFA were so against it but then said they can wear it on an arm band. If that's the case, they might as well have just let them wear it on the shirt. I also don't know why the FA pushed for it so hard either. It's a little embroided badge, but whilst I don't mind it in Premier League games in this country, I don't think there's any need to show it on the international stage.

FIFA are always idiots but as far as I've followed this story the FA have been a lot worse this time. FIFA didn't ban the poppy they just have a rule which has existed for a long time. England have played over 30 matches in previous years in the week of 11th November and never requested to have a poppy on the shirts before. The chat on Football Weekly on Thursday about it was spot on. You have to think that it's just an obvious attempt to divert attention from other matters. Cameron got stuck in for the same reason. The whole thing is a lot less dignified than the poppy appeal should be.

Anyone think England have got a chance today? Of all the bigger nations England must be the worst equipped to combat Spain's possession game. Spain have been a bit up and down since the WC though so there's always a chance. However I think it will be 2-0 Spain with the victory actually being a lot more comfortable than scoreline suggests.

Not playing Rooney in this game is stupid. This is Spain. This shouldn't be a game of preparing to play group games without Rooney, it should be preparing to play a top side with the best players England have. Apparently Jones is going to play in midfield alongside Lampard and Parker. I think that midfield would be set up well to try and stop Spain if Wilshere was fit and played instead of Lampard. Lots of mobility and energy between Wilshere, Parker and Jones, and both capable of getting back as well as bombing forwards. Then a front 3 of Young, Rooney and Sturridge. That wouldn't be bad at all. Doesn't even matter who plays at the back because Spain wouldn't even get a chance on goal, or a touch of the ball.

Injuries and not picking Rooney means that won't happen, and England will get walked through. Neanderphil Jones is still going to break some legs though.

Phil-Jones-005.jpg

What a fucking face.

I think Capello should play his strongest squad against Spain in preparation for the Euros just to see where England are at but at the end of the day it's a money spinning pointless friendly. Of course England have a chance if only a slight one but I reckon Spain will probably win quite easily. Capello doesn't give too hoots he'll just take his mega money and then retire. The clueless buffoon should have walked after the World Cup fiasco.