aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Guest Gladstone

No - but I grew up playing on pitches most weeks at the likes of Alten and Inverdee - fucking tiny! The country pitches were always the best becuase they had one pitch, and made it nice and wide. The junior or Highland League pitches were always bigger than the amateur pitches. I played a season at Ellon U18s and we played our home games on the Junior pitch and bossed all the Aberdeen teams because they couldn't deal with our width - the pitch was as wide as it was long (not really, but it felt like that). That was back when football was good. In my only shotty as a striker for Ellon U18s I scored 6 goals in two games and then got injured in the 3rd and was out for 4 months. Cruel.

Guest Gladstone
I may have mentioned this before, but my Dad co-founded them back in the day. Rod Dallas. Other gems in their staff include John Aitken and Gordon Humble.
Gordon Humble - is that the guy with the ginger hair and moustache? He told me off for warming up in my new tracksuit once...

Don't remember the other names. I was there when Paddy (I forget his surname - ex Sunderland player) was manager and Craig Watson (ex Peterhead) was assistant manager. Paddy was ace, but I wasn't such a big fan of Craig - we fell out a couple of times at training...

I've been a dandies fan forever. Not really sure how it came about but I guess it started when we were young and they used to send players down to our school to promote the kids stuff they were doing. Ended up being in the Dons Youngstars club from the age of about 7 upwards and used to go to the easter training camps and stuff every year, as well as the big Pittodrie open day. When I was a bit older, I joined a local supporters club the Crown Reds with my brother and we used to go to games all over Scotland. I got into playing in a band so I drifted away from that but my brother has had a season ticket for over 15 years now.

ALSO, on an earlier point, football hard men are tremendous and every team should have one. Stop being a bunch of poofs.

I am just ambivolent towards the teams I 'should' support. I grew up in Gorgie a few minutes from Tynecastle so as a child I was a Hearts fan but as have previously said as soon as Romanov turned them into the Kaunas crèche I really lost interest. My dad used to live in Liverpool after leaving the navy before he came back to Edinburgh and as a result my half brother is a scouser. Don't have much endearment for the city or football team though. Maybe I should support Everton!

Call me weird.... but I just like watching football! As long as they play by the rules and entertain me the result doesn't matter too much.

England squad, some very dodgy picks in there.

Johnson and Terry? Would much rather have Micah richards as right back or CB cover.

Downing, Carroll and Defoe? Can't believe they're not taking Crouch his England record is great and he's at least been playing for his team. Carroll has 2 EPL goals since October I know he looked decent in his last 2 games but that's not enough to take him to the Euros surely.

The reserve of Henderson is baffling as well he hasn't looked up to it all season and he was totally anonymous at the Under 21s last year as well.

I like the pick of Oxlade Chamberlain even though he's not played that much football all season purely because of his speed and lack of fear. Imagine you're the defender that's been marking Theo or Young for 60 minutes and then you see Ox coming on. He could terrorise tired defenders if used properly.

• Upvote 1

I didn't realise Capello picked the Euro squad too before he left. Was expecting a bit more of a shake up.

England will struggle in the first few games with the 3 strikers being Carroll, Welbeck and Defoe. I would have taken Adam Johnson in the squad instead of just a reserve in place of Downing who has been dire all year. Still short of game time but he has proven to be a great impact player for City. Agree with everything said above!

Holt was always going to be an outside bet and I can kind of understand why Hodgson hasn't picked him. He's already got a lump upfront in the massive shape of Andy Carroll (who I think probably should go tbh).

The thing with squaaads for tournaments is that you're really looking for your XI and then impact players. This is maybe why Carrick has missed out (although I don't see Henderson as an impact player either). Always baffled me why Jermaine Jenas was included in England squads for this reason - you're never going to turn to him to come on and change a game (either to shore up in defence or provide a bit of spark going forward).

I like the pick of Oxlade Chamberlain even though he's not played that much football all season purely because of his speed and lack of fear. Imagine you're the defender that's been marking Theo or Young for 60 minutes and then you see Ox coming on. He could terrorise tired defenders if used properly.

The defender who has been marking Young for 60 minutes will more than likely have been sent off before Ox comes on, and England will be 1-0 up.

COZ HE DIVEZ AND STUFF!

I believe the squad isn't completely final yet so it is subject to change, but I think Micah Richards hasn't been cleared fit by City yet, so they are waiting on him. If he's fit, he will definitely go, but as it stands I believe he's injured. Downing going over Jarvis is mental. Jarvis was easily the best performing English winger this season, and that includes Young and Walcott. James Milner? Does he even get a game now? I'd have taken Michael Carrick over Milner. He's actually had a pretty great season. Much better than Milner anyway. Henderson? He's not even been Liverpool's best midfielder. Even Spearing has been better than him. I'd have expected Carrick or Cleverley to be on the back up list at least. Maybe even the likes of Jake Livermore. All better than Horrendouson

Fuck Crouch and Carroll. If we are intent on taking a big guy, we should have gone with Holt. The second highest English goalscorer in the Premier League behind Rooney. How is that not enough? I've never quite decided if I like Defoe. He's still Spurs' top scorer despite barely playing. His goals-to-minutes ratio this season is pretty great, but he's limited. If Bent was fit, I'd rather take him to play just ahead of Rooney. He's the best poacher England have. Great positioning. When he plays, he scores.

Guest Gladstone

I'm so fucking bored of England at international tournaments. When I was younger I used to do the whole support anyone but England carry on and used to genuinely be worried that England had a chance of winning the tournament because that would obviously have been the worst thing ever.

I've since got over that though and the last couple of tournaments I've wanted England to do well, but the whole thing has got very boring now. I'm not even interested in the fact England are going to the Euros to be honest. They should have gone mental and shook things up ahead of this tournament but instead they got everyone a little bit excited at the prospect of Redknapp taking charge and then went "fuck that, that's nowhere near boring enough, here, have Hodgson" who picks an uninspiring squad, again.

Scotland really need to qualify for a tournament again soon so that I can actually get excited about it...