aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Why would that matter, surely turning your back on your country is the same no matter what time the player does it?

Dunno, if it's an older player quitting to prolong their playing career, a la Gary McAllister then I'm fine with it. If it's a sulky cunt retiring because he isn't first pick then he get fucked.

• Upvote 2

No, he spoke to Roy and after being told he would again be nothing more than a squad filler he told him he wasnt interested in that.

Didn't know that, I'd understood that he went to the FA without knowing anything about Roy's plans. However I still don't like that he retired for that reason.

I suppose I like to believe that footballers despite being professionals still retain some of the love of the game that they must have had as kids growing up. The same kind that most fans have. I like to think that all players grew up dreaming off playing for their country at a world cup or euros and would have done anything to get there. I find it a bit sad that once they are older some players stop caring about that.

3rd choice goalkeeper John Ruddy, who has almost no chance of playing, offered to cancel his wedding so he wouldn't miss any training and one of the friendlies. That's what I'm talking about!

Its like i say, now a days getting a game for your country is a "nice" thing for players, you read interviews with players called up and its always things like "yeah its nice to be called up" or something similar, its not as much of an honour as it used to be, playing for Man Utd in the champs league final is seen as a bigger honour now. Plus why would you want to play for England, between the media and fans completely unrealistic expectations it must be a horrible experience, there is a reason the likes of Carson and Ben Foster have turned their backs, and its nothing to do with them sulking over anything.

Guest Gladstone

Proof:

20751010150150174352798.jpg

That's the t-shirt we dressed our mate in on his stag weekend in Newcastle... it said "Carrol 9" on the back too.

(We didn't actually make him wear it out in Newcastle for fear of him being stabbed - just on the train...)

• Upvote 3

Its up to the player, if I was a pro I would retire from international football to prolong my toon career. I'm not that patriotic. Don't mean anything by calling you a cunt but I have to defend Shearer, he gets a lot of stick on here. Cunts not a bad word, gets bandied about on here all the time. Cunty bollocks. Anyway yeah, call Shearer a cunt and I will call you one. I still have a poster of him on my wall. Cunt.

• Upvote 1

You wont get any arguments from me that some of the English media can be completely awful and at time horrible when it comes to the national team but I still don't agree with his decision. Maybe it even does make sense. I'll admit my thoughts on the issue are based on my emotional feelings about it rather than any logic but if I always thought about football in logical ways I wouldn't care nearly as much.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
Absolutely and I heard he can be a bit of a cunt as a person but it is Shearer, an absolute cunt.

That's what he said - I'm not sure I understand the argument here.

You wont get any arguments from me that some of the English media can be completely awful and at time horrible when it comes to the national team but I still don't agree with his decision. Maybe it even does make sense. I'll admit my thoughts on the issue are based on my emotional feelings about it rather than any logic but if I always thought about football in logical ways I wouldn't care nearly as much.

The beauty of football! :)

I do kinda see their point, especially when it comes to England, i have no idea if its as bad in other nations, but the fall out from every major tournament i can remember from the english media is incredible, the abuse that gets directed towards their own players and staff would put me off, why bother when the second something goes wrong the entire country is on your back. Remember Beckham getting sent off against Argentina, the entire country hated him, every paper slated him, he was boo'd at every single ground round the country, all because of one red card. Fuck that right off.

What about people like Lawrenson, or Pieterson in cricket are they bad if they retire early from international sport, is it as bad? i would happily play for Scotland or Ireland if i didn't make it to the England squad. Is that bad? Is that unpatriotic? Also is this the first EPL season where all three teams that came up stayed up?

Guest Gladstone
The beauty of football! :)

I do kinda see their point, especially when it comes to England, i have no idea if its as bad in other nations, but the fall out from every major tournament i can remember from the english media is incredible, the abuse that gets directed towards their own players and staff would put me off, why bother when the second something goes wrong the entire country is on your back. Remember Beckham getting sent off against Argentina, the entire country hated him, every paper slated him, he was boo'd at every single ground round the country, all because of one red card. Fuck that right off.

But Beckham, being the absolute Godsend that he is never once dreamed of turning his back on his country and now everybody loves him.

(That doesn't justify the abuse he got or other players get, but taking the easy route out isn't the answer in my opinion)

What about people like Lawrenson, or Pieterson in cricket are they bad if they retire early from international sport, is it as bad? i would happily play for Scotland or Ireland if i didn't make it to the England squad. Is that bad? Is that unpatriotic? Also is this the first EPL season where all three teams that came up stayed up?

If I was a player I'd want to play for the country I felt most attached to but I don't really blame a player for choosing a secondary country if it's their only chance at playing in a world cup. Like the English guy who played for some league 1 side that got to the world cup with Trinidad and Tobago.

I think it happened in the 2001/2002 season last. Or around about then.

But Beckham, being the absolute Godsend that he is never once dreamed of turning his back on his country and now everybody loves him.

(That doesn't justify the abuse he got or other players get, but taking the easy route out isn't the answer in my opinion)

Yes but my point was, not every person is as thick skinned as that, clearly Carson was not, as that one mistake practically ruined his career, he is now playing mid table football in Turkey. That kinda abuse can finish some players, Beckham is one who clearly has great mental strength.

Guest Gladstone
Yes but my point was, not every person is as thick skinned as that, clearly Carson was not, as that one mistake practically ruined his career, he is now playing mid table football in Turkey. That kinda abuse can finish some players, Beckham is one who clearly has great mental strength.

I was only being semi-serious. The media surrounding the English team is probably the main reason that the international team has underachieved over the years. At various tournaments in my lifetime, they've had the players in the their team that could have been and should have been at least getting close to the final and once there you always have a chance, but they've choked under the intense pressure piled on them by the media every time. World Cup 90 was the last time they've even looked close to good enough. (They were pretty unlucky in 1998 as well I suppose - the Sol Cambell goal being chopped off was cruel. It was Alan Shearer's fault though - the cunt)

I don't really see why there is a massive uproar if a player doesn't wanna play for their country anymore. Especially England. Who the fuck would want to involve themselves in the media circus that is the England set up? I like watching the summer tournaments, and I obviously want England to do well, but I don't feel the same affinity towards them as I do club football, and I don't think it's a bad thing if some players feel the same way. Scholes quit England because he was being played as a winger, and was berated for his poor out-of-position performances, so he jacked it in. Fair play I say. Playing for England should be an option, not something which should be expected, and if you refuse, you are all the cunts under the sun.

After a long season, some players will either want to be fully involved, or stay at home. Can't blame someone for not wanting to take part if they are just gonna sit on the bench. I think Carrick should start over Barry, but he probably knows he won't. So he'll go sit on a beach somewhere and look up the England scores on his iPhone. England are shit, so I'd probably do the same.

• Upvote 3

Has anyone mentioned that Michael Owen has left? Because Michael Owen has left

That goal against City will enter him into United Folklore forever. I can still see it now. Great ball into the box. He properly scuffed it. Terrible shot, even worse defending. It trickled in past Big Shay, and he ran around the goal posts, where there's not really any space to run, as he tip toed across that little banking where the pitch meets the stand. Even Antonio Valencia looked happy, which elevates the importance of the goal even further.

He did a hat trick against Wolfsburg too. One of them was a header, despite being 5ft7. Great times.

Guest Gladstone
Has anyone mentioned that Michael Owen has left? Because Michael Owen has left

That goal against City will enter him into United Folklore forever. I can still see it now. Great ball into the box. He properly scuffed it. Terrible shot, even worse defending. It trickled in past Big Shay, and he ran around the goal posts, where there's not really any space to run, as he tip toed across that little banking where the pitch meets the stand. Even Antonio Valencia looked happy, which elevates the importance of the goal even further.

He did a hat trick against Wolfsburg too. One of them was a header, despite being 5ft7. Great times.

I'm constantly gutted that Michael Owen's career has been so hampered by injury. One of the most exciting strikers to burst onto the scene in my lifetime. He absolutely terrorised defenders. That goal against Argentina and then the audacity to stick his penalty in the top corner was brilliant.

I hope he signs for Wigan or Ross County on a pay per play deal.