aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

You sound surprised that Liverpool have made a very bad business decision which will more than likely spread negative opinion. It's what they do best now.

I can't wait for the transfer window open and for them to spend £20million on a sub par player because he's English and because he has 80+ sprint speed and acceleration stats on FIFA 12. I assume that's why they bought Downing and Henderson.

You sound surprised that Liverpool have made a very bad business decision which will more than likely spread negative opinion. It's what they do best now.

I can't wait for the transfer window open and for them to spend £20million on a sub par player because he's English and because he has 80+ sprint speed and acceleration stats on FIFA 12. I assume that's why they bought Downing and Henderson.

That's why anyone buys anyone. If FIFA 12 is to be believed, in 2015 this man will be faster than the bastard child of a cheetah and a lightning bolt:

102865.jpg

Sign him up now!

EDIT: Just noticed his "derp" face. Classic.

I hope all these actual managers shun Liverpool and they have to bring in some Liverpool legend and ambassador again to work their magic or whatever. Someone totally shite like Phil Thompson or Mark Lawrenson. The fans will lap it up because the man in charge will be Mr. Liverpool himself, despite probably being a crap manager. Kenny Dalglish had an incredible effect on them. Some still believe they've had a great season.

Or just give the job to that horrible little Sammy Lee.

Liverpool are going to be shit next season. I can't wait. No director of football, no CEO, no PR head and the current managerial situation is absolutely hilarious. The whole "12 man shortlist" thing blows my mind for a number of reasons:-

1. It's clear that the owners have no real strategy for the club's on-field advancement. Managers are mostly short-term contractors who help the board achieve their long-term goals. The manager's philosophy must be in-line with the board's at any given time, otherwise the appointment will fail. A good appointment is usually the result of the board head-hunting a candidate based on the above criteria. The fact that Liverpool have identified TWELVE managers who apparently fall within these parameters tell me that they have no idea what they're doing. The whole thing reeks of the farce at Inter Milan last year when they interviewed (and were turned down by) 6 or 7 different managers before eventually appointing the wrong man.

2. Imagine going into the interview knowing that you were just one of 12? How rotten would you feel? Again, it shows that the board really haven't done much research on these managers' qualities and have just made a list of 12 people wot iz good at managin.

3. The arrogance of this club to think that 12 successful managers would even consider taking that poisoned chalice is astounding. I'm glad Brendan Rodgers has turned them down, he's much better off at Swansea than English football's designated comedy team. Why would Rodgers, Martinez or anyone else want to work under some of football's most unjustifiably intense for a directionless club who harbour and support an unapologetic racist? Liverpool fans think they're in with a chance of getting Mourinho or Guardiola. You finished 8, guys. You're getting Mark Hughes.

4. Why would 12 individual managers unsettle their positions are their current clubs by agreeing to be interviewed by Liverpool? Grant Holt asked for a transfer request today and people are already calling him "a traitor prick." What would happen to the 11 unsuccessful candidates upon returning to their own club?

Who do Liverpool think they are? They're not the biggest club in England any more, not even close. Most of the old lustre has completely evaporated. They are an average, upper-midtable Premier League side that's ran like a circus.

• Upvote 3

What's the bets on Luiz being at the heart of a defensive catastrophe for Chelsea tonight? Bellend.

All joking aside I fear for the pairing of Cahill and Luiz, really think they'll struggle. Hope Chelsea win though, if not just for the fact that Drogba is a total dude; anyone see him on Graham Norton a few weeks ago?

Grant Holt made me chuckle, has a good first season in the Prem League, touted for a possible Engerland call up and scores some goals now thinks he's above Norwich and sticks in a transfer request, maybe his agent is working here... 'you could get more money at Stoke or Fulham you know'...

Lolpool are so hilarious. A shortlist of 12? Fucks sake that is ridiculous. Adrian Durham was slating Rodgers for turning the circus of an interview down but I think Rodgers has done the right thing - he may as well continue to ply his trade at Swansea where even if they got relegated next season he would still have a job. At Lolpool if things don't go how the owners view it he'll be sacked before the January transfer window.

oh well Champs league final tonight, don't care who wins hope its a good game!

Could only be Drogba, huh? Happy that they won of course, especially happy for di Matteo who three years ago was watching his MK Dons side lose to Scunthorpe in the playoffs...

He seems far too nice to still be embroiled within that harem of bastards. Get him out ASAP, while he's still got a soul.

Imagine the money he'll get when Abramovich punts him to make way for Pep!

What, Drogba...?

Also would RDM get much of a severance package? I mean he's only a caretaker manager, it's understood that he's holding a temporary position, so surely he wouldn't be owed money if he was let go?

I was supporting Drogba last night, not Chelsea. Terry has honestly got no shame, on the pitch in full kit and lifting the trophy with Lampard; he was fucking banned! And for violent conduct, completely thuggish and unnecessary, which could have easily cost his team the semi-final place. Literally no shame, zero. Still, good to see them win it, think Drogba should retire on a high now as much as I'd love to see him play next year. Also, dedicating the cup to all previous managers was a classy move; you da man, D-Rex!

I don't think RDM should get the job. He's done well in the cups but I think there's been a real lift around the place because there's no more AVB, as opposed to it being down to Di Matteo. I'm not sure he could sustain it over a full season and whilst there's been a lift in their league form, it's hardly been a complete revolution. What they need is to appoint a world class manager, back him, and give him minimum 2 seasons, as well as total authority over the players. You can't have the players, especially a bunch approaching mid thirties, bossing the club like that.

Sorry, but di Matteo has to get the job now and has shown that he's fully capable. Done well in the cups? Aye, he only won the FA Cup and the Champions League. Abramovich has to give him the job now as di Matteo's achieved exactly what Abramovich has always desired, and what some of the world's greatest mangers - and Avram Grant - couldn't quite deliver. Some of these guys, like Ancelotti, would have got there eventually, but they didn't.

I wasn't supporting Chelsea last night, I was supporting di Matteo, who is a true gent. Drogba is the best player in the world as well. That header was just outstanding, and the way he took his penalty, to win the Champoins League: so nonchalant, never any doubt.

Totally agree about Terry; nae really your moment, mate. Hate that guy.

Big Fat Frank still has mad skills too.

I feel really bad for Bayern, but this was just Chelsea's year. They've been knocking at the door for years and they wanted it far more that any other team in the competition.

My God, I hate John Terry.

Sorry, but di Matteo has to get the job now and has shown that he's fully capable. Done well in the cups? Aye, he only won the FA Cup and the Champions League. Abramovich has to give him the job now as di Matteo's achieved exactly what Abramovich has always desired, and what some of the world's greatest mangers - and Avram Grant - couldn't quite deliver. Some of these guys, like Ancelotti, would have got there eventually, but they didn't.

I think he will get the job; he has done everything he possibly could. I just don't think he'll be able to sustain this seasons short-term success, buoyed by the departure of a disliked manager, over the course of a full season. I hope I'm wrong because I really like the guy and I think he's a good manager. Anyone see him shouting in Roman's ear "Look! Look! I won it, I told you!" as he went up to collect his medal?

Ashley Cole was immense last night, as was Cahill and Mata. Cech was flapping for goal but redeemed himself with a fine penalty save. Robben was a bit shit the whole game eh? Cut inside, lean back, blooter it into row Z. Take a corner, over hit it, out for a Chelsea throw. Repeat ad infinitum.

I don't think RDM should get the job. He's done well in the cups but I think there's been a real lift around the place because there's no more AVB, as opposed to it being down to Di Matteo. I'm not sure he could sustain it over a full season and whilst there's been a lift in their league form, it's hardly been a complete revolution. What they need is to appoint a world class manager, back him, and give him minimum 2 seasons, as well as total authority over the players. You can't have the players, especially a bunch approaching mid thirties, bossing the club like that.

It's a bit unrealistic to expect a full scale revolution from him when he hasn't even had a transfer window to stamp his mark on the team. What he's achieved has been through reinvigorating a team bereft of confidence....that's what great managers do.

When you compare Chelsea under AVB, to the Chelsea of today, I think he's been an absolute revelation.....plus he's a genuinely likeable guy. Unthinkable that he won't get offered the job beyond the summer. The only issue for me is, having peaked this early, would he accept the job?

Bayern were idiots to lose the game. Should have been about 8-0 at half-time. Robben and particulary Gomez were absolute tosh. Feel bad for Philipp Lahm though. Munich born and bred, quality player, led team brilliantly, and must hurt like fuck losing on your own patch.

If Roberto gets the job then I think he'll be sacked by Christmas. Based on what he's won he should definitely get it, but I think a lot of it's down to the new manager bounce. Assistants are rarely particularly good choices for the big job because, for the most part, they tend to play the good cop to the manager's bad cop and then struggle to be bastards when required. That's what it looks like, at least. He's a nice guy and he's done a great job, but what's he gonna do when he has to drop his mates John and Frank, who practically run the club anyway?

"Chelsea were so lucky, Bayern were much beter, wah, wah ,wah..."

Sorry but a team that can only score one goal with 30+ shots and 55% possession doesn't deserve to win a bloody thing. I don't like Chelsea at all, but good on them.

This. Always. I hate hearing the whole "Team 1 won the game but Team 2 were the better side". The team who puts the ball in the net the most times is the better team, surely? Attractive football vs winning football.

I thought Bayern would stuff them as I imagined they'd have most of the ball, and they weren't exactly up against a tough defence. I think Cahill and David Luiz are two of the most reckless and vulnerable defenders in the Premier League. They lack a hell of alot of discipline though they are good at last ditch defending if they are not miles out of position. I thought Bayern would tear them a new one as a result. They had loads of the ball but were so wasteful. Mario Gomez always seems to be linked with a move at around £30million+ but he's going to have to be more clinical than that if he's to be touted as a striker of that value. He scuffed some sitters.

John Terry getting a medal and getting to lift the trophy first was foul. You should only get a medal if you're in the squad. Roy Keane was instrumental in getting United to the final in 1999, but he didn't get a medal, because he got too many yellows in the knockout stages. Rules are rules. Maybe if it was a questionable or soft second yellow card, then fine. But he kicked a player in the back, because he's a tit. Shouldn't get a medal.

The amount of comments along the lines of 'the only loser was football, not much' and 'parking the bus/ anti football' etc are annoying. Last time I checked it was goals that mattered. People seem to be forgetting Ramires and Meireles were suspended who were instrumental in their campaign this year and arguably their best 2 midfielders recently as Mata has been very out of form in the last couple of months. Playing Bertrand instead Malouda on the left was a brilliant move, negative maybe but worked a treat against Robben and Lahm. Plus they were playing in Munich's back yard and you don't want to go attacking wildly, leaving gaps and getting humiliated in the biggest game in club football. Greece played the same way when they won Euro 2004. I don't remember the anti football brigade then, just a triumph of the underdogs. You can win games with solid defence and hard work, it's not just about playing like Barcelona.

Lest we forget, Chelsea were behind and had to score goals to go save their campaign in the quarters, semis and final. It's hardly like they got through the campaign grinding out 1-0 results. I thought they played the only way they could with the players at their disposal and defended incredibly well in addition to Bayern's profligacy in front of goal. Bayern should have won that final easily, but absolutely none of their 'big attacking talents' turned up at all. I rarely watch Bayern it must be said, but sometimes I really do wonder how the hell Gomez bangs in 30/40 goals a season. Woeful last night and most of the times I watch him. It's no wonder Germany usually stick with Podolski/Klose! I remember him playing equally badly at Euro 2008 and WC2010 though he didn't play much there.

Some stats from a BBC article -> http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18132980

Chelsea statistics

• Petr Cech went the right way on six Bayern penalties and saved three of them.
  • Chelsea blocked more shots than in any other game in the Champions League this season.
  • Only Frank Lampard, John Obi Mikel and Juan Mata made more passes than goalkeeper Petr Cech.
  • Juan Mata covered the most ground on the pitch with 16,123 metres.
  • Didier Drogba has now scored nine goals in nine cup finals.

Bayern Munich statistics

• Robben and Philipp Lahm were the most frequent passers behind Kroos, showing how much Bayern played down the right-hand side.
  • Half of Bayern's eight crosses from the left were successful, whereas none of 15 reached their target from the right.
  • Seven of Robben's shots were from outside the area, showing that Chelsea defended the 18-yard line well.
  • Bastian Schweinsteiger covered the most ground of any Bayern> player with 15,464 metres.

TL;DR - Bayern threw away the final with crap finishing and players backing out of taking penalties. When your keeper takes the 3rd penalty, unless you are playing against one of these South American keepers who takes set pieces, something is wrong! Chelsea worked hard and defended well and took their chances when they had them. Deserved winners on the night.

In other news I was happy Hearts tanked Hibs. Leigh Griffiths is a prick of the highest order and I take great joy in seeing him blame it on the referee and not the fact they were totally outplayed by the better team who took their chances. Bitter much? He is the king of throwing his toys out of the pram. Shocking decision to award the penalty, but they were going down to 10 men anyway and hearts were always going to run riot against 10. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18135163

That final just makes me despair at Hearts even more though. Good squad and Ian Black and Skacel were immense yesterday and neither are getting new contracts. Craig Beattie has done well too but pretty sure he will be let go too. The quicker Romanov leaves Gorgie the better. The financial situation was dire before Romanov, but he has done little to help it and alienated many fans in the process

• Upvote 1