aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Del Piero and Inzaghi played their last games for Juve and Milan yesterday. And both scored goals :)

I'm not sure what to think of a world where Del Piero isn't playing for Juve. Feels wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieI87DDftgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iKXNkhYwqU

Absolutely my favourite player. I remember when he came into the Juve team just as they were worrying how to replace the outgoing Baggio. He did alright.

Loved the Juve team of that era. Mainly for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpTN2tE6tTc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Br0wudDPlg

A hun at school made a bet with me that they'd beat Juve in those games. Beautiful.

Apparently Nesta, Zambrotta, Seedorf and Gattuso all finished their Serie A careers as well yesterday. End of an era.

None of them are retiring are they? Aren't they just looking to take a step down a level for a season or two? Folk like Van Bommel and Seedorf look set to be available for free. Someone should take a punt. Get a season out of them. Despite getting on a bit, they are both still hard as nails.

It's mental that he played for Dundee.

Del Piero, Ravanelli, Vialli. Awesome strikers in that Juve team.

He only played 4 or 5 games though didn't he? Im pretty sure he scored a hat-trick in one of them as well. My Grandad was a massive Juve fan and I remember his excitement when Ravanelli came to Dundee. He went on holiday to Dundee that year to see if he could spot him.

Can't remember who it was that mentioned Aberdonians referring to Man City as 'We' a few pages back. That gave me a good laugh. I thought glory hunting was restricted to the school playground. I'm ashamed to say I got a Man Utd shirt when I was 8, although I don't think I ever claimed to support them, I just liked Schmeichael and collecting strips (always the full strip at that age - I remember playing footie whilst at uni and one guy had a full Aberdeen kit - at 20 something it looks really odd.)

Anyway, I can understand wanting to get in on the feeling of your team winning something - god knows I've never experienced it but it is laughable to think of all these grown men and women suddenly supporting a side they didn't care about a few years ago. I've been pulling for City these past few seasons just because I wanted to see the top 4 break up and I like change, in the same way I'd pull for Valencia, but i'd shoot myself square in the face if I ever referred to them as 'we'. Jokes.

• Upvote 1

None of them are retiring are they? Aren't they just looking to take a step down a level for a season or two? Folk like Van Bommel and Seedorf look set to be available for free. Someone should take a punt. Get a season out of them. Despite getting on a bit, they are both still hard as nails.

Van Bommel's back at PSV for next season.

Ha, to be fair he's been quiet on the boards for the best part of a year. Still ridiculous.

Yeah I don't really care, his ardent support of City is fucking ludicrous. There's not even some flimsy, tenuous link like "My uncles wife was born there" or something like that, just no reason at all. Probably something to do with Oasis which makes the whole thing even worse.

I don't really have a problem with supporting whoever you want, as long as you stick with them, regardless of if it's because they're local, you like their strip, or because you fucking love the glory. I think it's weird when people suddenly switch allegiance though. Someone I went to school with seemed to instantly stop supporting Leeds United the day they got relegated. He now fills my Facebook wall full of Everton garbage, because he's a fully fledged Evertonian now, and totally hates Liverpool. That's weird.

I never really picked between Wednesday or United when I was younger since my family ties were split that way. It probably would have helped if I grew up in either Sheffield or Manchester, but I grew up kind of halfway between the two. I've been taken to games for both sides since before I can really remember. I can't imagine ever just deciding to follow someone else. I'm guilty of neglecting Wednesday the past couple of years since League 1 gets shite coverage. I'll probably follow them alot closer now they are in the Championship and it's easier to get streams.

• Upvote 3

A team which is doing well is always going to attract glory hunters so it's no surprise people are jumping on the City bandwagon although they have always had pretty good support even when in League One.

My club have won two things in my lifetime - what is now league 2 and league 1! And the BSP next season of course :woohoo:

I guess it depends on what your definition of good support is. Lots of people living in Manchester who claim to support City? When they were granted the use of the City of Manchester Stadium, it was seen as a little ridiculous, because they could barely fill Maine Road except when they played United. COMS/Eastlands/Etihad struggled to be more than half full for non-derby games, and their attendances during the first 3 or 4 years were very poor. Then the Monsours took over and created a huge buzz around the club and the figures steadily increased. It wasn't until the past 2 seasons the place actually gets close to being full.

They had a decent support when in League One - compared to other League One teams - because they mostly known as an established top flight club. It's no coincidence they are getting 90%+ attendances now they are a top 4 club, and how they got nowhere near that amount when they were pottering around in mid-table.

• Upvote 1