aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

I'm with Adam and soundian with giving out retrospective harsh punishments for conclusive cheating. This would cover diving and also pretending to be hurt in order to get your opponent sent off like in the case with Pepe Reina recently or the Mulgrew/Lafferty incident of a few years ago.

My other problem is the excuse 'if the defender sticks his leg out and gives the striker the opportunity to go down...' or 'I felt a touch and went down'. That is still simulation which is still cheating! It doesn't justify the actions of the guy who went down. Pat Nevin was on MotD recently saying that when he played his only intention was to stay on his feet. He got laughed at of course but I believe he was being honest.

• Upvote 1

I think everyone has been saying retrospective bans for divers should come into play for ages. It just makes the most sense. A 10 game band would stop a diver from doing it again. A player will be willing to take a dive for the team, because the only outcome is either a yellow card for diving, or a penalty. No one will risk missing nearly a quarter of the season for the sake of winning a penalty.

Also, dishing out punishments for diving should be taken out of the referees hands, and given to panels to punish retrospectively. 3 different cases in the space of a week the referees have gotten wrong. 2 fouls in one game were deemed as dives, in the Liverpool/Villa game. And again at Norwich when Tevez was fouled, he was booked for diving. The referees aren't in a position to tell, just like it isn't their fault if they are conned by divers and they give a penalty. Give that responsibility to the governing body who can pick replays apart and punish accordingly.

I thought 2-0 could have been enough on the night to see Barca off by parking the bus at the Nou Camp again. Can't see them keeping Barca out next week.

Barca's squad is alarmingly thin. I don't know how they manage to keep everyone so fit to play all the time, except for Villa, whose got a broken leg of course. But they needed a goal, and they take off Xavi and bring on some unknown kid. Their youth policy as admirable, and I'm sure the likes of Thiago will be superstars in the coming years, but it's odd that the team that are touted as being the best ever club side only have a starting XI and very little else.

Thiago is hardly an unknown. Played loads for them.

Again work meant I only got to see the last 35 mins. 2 pesky students decided they didn't care about watching the football.

I pretty quickly got the feeling it would be one of those nights for barca and they wouldn't score. I'm sure they will at camp nou but another chelsea break away goal is very possible and I don't know if Barca could score 3.

Also I'm not really sure what to make of a world where Gary Cahill keeps out messi and co.

Going back in time, this popped up on facebook today. Djalminha had proper skills. The bit at 50secs is awesome. I used to try that so much.

Thiago is hardly an unknown. Played loads for them.

Thiago's not the one I meant. I meant the kid who came on for Xavi. Joan Lopez or something. I know Thiago is coming along pretty well and playing alot, but he's still lacking, despite pinging in the odd screamer. My point was they don't have a bench to back up what is an untouchable starting XI (when everyone is fit).

Thiago's not the one I meant. I meant the kid who came on for Xavi. Joan Lopez or something. I know Thiago is coming along pretty well and playing alot, but he's still lacking, despite pinging in the odd screamer. My point was they don't have a bench to back up what is an untouchable starting XI (when everyone is fit).

Do they need a bench of superstars? They have done pretty well giving these kids a game so far and i dont think Barca could afford to go splashing the cash anymore. They have massive debts last time i read up on it.

Oh I got confused as you mentioned Thiago in the next sentence. Anyway the approach has worked quite well over the last few years and if the players have the ability they can go from being unknown youth players to regular players in quite a short space of time.

However they would have won if they could have brought on Djalmiinha to flick it over everybody's head.

Do they need a bench of superstars? They have done pretty well giving these kids a game so far and i dont think Barca could afford to go splashing the cash anymore. They have massive debts last time i read up on it.

Not superstars, but capable squad players. They don't have any other strikers than Messi and Villa. I have no idea who would play CB if both Puyol and Pique were both injured. Adriano is pretty bad in the absence of Abidal. The great players they have is often enough to see off anyone, but I don't think it can be argued that any team needs a squad of capable players, especially when the legs get tired and they need to make an impact sub.

Guest Gladstone

Fuck that. My Dad recently told me that in his day, they didn't have subs at all.

On the very rare occasion that someone got injured, they just played through it or played with 10 men.

Nobody likes to be on the bench so we should revert to the 1950s.

Not superstars, but capable squad players. They don't have any other strikers than Messi and Villa. I have no idea who would play CB if both Puyol and Pique were both injured.

Mascherano has been great at centre back when needed but I agree they are a bit short for cover at the back. However if they have everyone fit Mascherabo, Pedro (or Sanchez), Cuenca, Tello, Thiago, Keita, Affelay would all be on the bench and are more than capable squad players.

The thing is Barca have coped with most of that squad for the past few seasons, baring a couple of changes they have kept the same starting 11 for as long as possible. The other thing is as well, there are very few players they could buy that would be better than anyone, or as good as anyone they play right now, giving these kids a game is better than having a squad player who is there to make up numbers.

Plus you dont need any more defenders when Puyol is there, he is a one man machine at the back, id just play him in defense, maybe pique, and everyone else going forward.

Puyol really isn't very good anymore. If he played for a team who were attacked more the Barca, he'd be shite. He used to be good, but he's way past it. Their defence in general is pretty poor bar Pique. I rate Abidal as a defender too. Luckily for them, teams don't get chance to attack them to expose their defence. The defending for Chelsea's goal was just pure awful though. That goal really shouldn't have happened. No idea why everyone marked Drogba and nobody closed down Ramires. No idea how the ball go to Drogba despite 3 defenders following him. So bad.

Chelsea defended really well last night, but there was a lot of last ditch stuff. Those are the kinds of situations that can give a way penalties or goal scoring opportunities if not timed correctly. Chelsea got lucky in that respect, I suppose, and if Fabregas had his "shooting boots" on, things could have been very different. Chelsea play a really narrow game, and I think that might show at Camp Nou, which is the size of Wales. They'll be very lucky to put in another defensive performance like that and get away with a clean sheet. A break away goal is a possibility for Chelsea, but I do think Barca will put at least 2 past them.

I actually wanted to see Chelsea win last night. Even though I hate all there players, you've got to love di Matteo. What a nice, smiley chap he is. Chelsea vs Bayern in the final. Yes.

There was a stat this morning on Twitter that said the Camp Nou pitch is one 1metre wider than Stamford Bridge. Wiki even confirms the dimensions as being right. I thought the Camp Nou pitch was the size of two pitches, and Stamford Bridge looks really tiny on TV. Maybe that's more to do with the low camera angle. Highbury used to look the same on the telly.