aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Stopped reading after that...

He really isn't though. I'd love to see him play for a mid table team. His positioning is just awful. He used to be great, but I have no idea how he's forgotton how to mark opposing players, or what goal-side means. He's probably started to get too relaxed now that Barca don't need to defend anymore

There was a stat this morning on Twitter that said the Camp Nou pitch is one 1metre wider than Stamford Bridge. Wiki even confirms the dimensions as being right. I thought the Camp Nou pitch was the size of two pitches, and Stamford Bridge looks really tiny on TV. Maybe that's more to do with the low camera angle. Highbury used to look the same on the telly.

Hmm, fair enough. That is surprising though.

Agreed. Puyol is still a brick, maybe not as quick as he once was but he controls that backline like no other could.

No other? Really? He's an ok defender, but he's lost more than his pace. Everytime I see Barca concede a goal these days, it's from scrappy, poor defending. Everything from the marking, anticipating and even simple things like getting goal side. Even last nights goal is a good example. Everyone followed Droga and allowed Ramires to travel about 40 yards unchallenged. Then he pokes the ball across 3 defenders who were goal side for Drogba to drag past Valdes. It was shoddy, and shouldn't have happened. Really bad defending, and it's not an isolated incident.

There's the whole argument that "they don't need a defence" because of how they completely hog the ball, but when they come up against frustrating opposition last night, then their lacking defence can be questioned. They've conceded some awful goals this season, and he's nowhere near as sharp as he used to be. Keeps letting players find space and poach silly goals. He's good captain in terms of his tenacity and how he's always trying to lift the team, but as defensive players go, I rate Pique and Abidal higher. Possibly even Busquets too.

Barca should spend more wisely. The amount they punted on Ibra and that Greek defender was silly. It's interesting to think how unstoppable they'd be if they had a bit more balance in their defence and also players who can be more direct when the dissecting of defences just isn't working.

No other? Really? He's an ok defender, but he's lost more than his pace. Everytime I see Barca concede a goal these days, it's from scrappy, poor defending. Everything from the marking, anticipating and even simple things like getting goal side. Even last nights goal is a good example. Everyone followed Droga and allowed Ramires to travel about 40 yards unchallenged. Then he pokes the ball across 3 defenders who were goal side for Drogba to drag past Valdes. It was shoddy, and shouldn't have happened. Really bad defending, and it's not an isolated incident.

There's the whole argument that "they don't need a defence" because of how they completely hog the ball, but when they come up against frustrating opposition last night, then their lacking defence can be questioned. They've conceded some awful goals this season, and he's nowhere near as sharp as he used to be. Keeps letting players find space and poach silly goals. He's good captain in terms of his tenacity and how he's always trying to lift the team, but as defensive players go, I rate Pique and Abidal higher. Possibly even Busquets too.

Barca should spend more wisely. The amount they punted on Ibra and that Greek defender was silly. It's interesting to think how unstoppable they'd be if they had a bit more balance in their defence and also players who can be more direct when the dissecting of defences just isn't working.

Greek defender?

Let's face it Chelsea were lucky not to concede last night but fair play to them for some frantic last ditch defending and a bit of luck which every team needs now and then. You just cannot see them holding out for 90 mins at a packed nou camp with a probably biased referee but stranger things have happened in football. Much as I hate most the Chelsea superstars, would still like to see them go through and I like Di Matteo, always smiling! Who knows if they can frustrate Barca then maybe could hold out for a 0-0 but an early goal and they might self-combust! But with the likes of Drogba on the pitch they might just nick a goal on the break which would make things very interesting, deffo set up nicely.

They got back a big chunk of that tho didnt they?

You can say they should spend more wisely, but that thin squad has won them 3 leagues, a couple of spanish cups, a couple of champions leagues, euro super cups and the world club cup, not bad going for a thing squad eh!

Just because you havent heard of the players they bring on, does not mean they are not as good or better than the ones avaliable for them to buy, again, why buy a squad player when you can give a young player a chance to shine? Barca have given more debuts to kids than any big club in European football over the past few years, thats pretty impressive considering the success they have also had.

I never really said because I haven't heard of them it doesn't mean they're not any good? Cuenca, Tello and Thiago are all good, promising players who have shown really good glimpses of quality this season. Thiago especially, who really looks the business. Barca know what they are doing when it comes to their youth policy. I'm not questioning that, but they lack cover. It all comes back to that the argument that "they don't need a defence" because they hog the ball. Just because they are successful doesn't mean they are without any flaws. They are still open to criticism. Their defence is suspect, and that has cost them their position at the top of the league, and the game last night. The lack of a direct player to cause Chelsea problems cost them an away goal. Iniesta is playing on the left in the absence of David Villa, and he's just not as effectuve out there because he's neither a winger or an wide striker like Villa. They've got no one to replace Villa. if Messi got injured, they've got practicially nobody else can play as a centre forward. Alexis at a push. You can say "not bad for a thing squad" but their lack of cover has been exposed by missing David Villa for so long, and they've dropped too many points against teams they should be beating. It could quite realistically cost them the title and the Champions League. Whether or not they have 80% possession or whatever, I think they desperately need a centre back, either from another club, or from their player assembly line. And a winger who knocks it past fullbacks and gets the ball behind the defence. An Antonio Valencia type winger. But not Valencia!

There was a thing on revista where the people at Barca blamed their poor start down to the fact they did too much in pre-season and the players were not in a good physical shape from the off, how much you can read into that is questionable. Again tho they are only 4 points off the top of the league, against a Real team who have battered through most games this season, and they are one game away from the champs league final, they havent struggled this season, you cannot indefinately be the best team in the world.

Sanchez is extremely good out wide. It's just a pity he tends to get bunged about in other positions as Messi tends to be out on the right if he's not going through the middle.

I understand what Joe is saying though, there's very little depth to their squad and they tend to spaff ludicrous amounts of money on big name players after moving on other big name players and very few young players actually makes it through to play in the 1st team on a regular basis. There's a couple of guys waiting in the reserves defence-wise who are worth a bit more game time in my opinion (Muniesa and Bartra look like they might develop well given a season out on loan or a bit more regular first team action).

Barca tend to go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" strategy which while the goings good is fine, but they've struggled for not having a stronger squad this season.

I still fully expect them to horse Chelski and Real to rip Bayern a new one on their respective home turfs to set up an all Spanish final which Barca will win due to Real bottling it.

I hope you are wrong. A Chelsea/Bayern final would be ace and I'd love Bayern to win it, even though I don't particularly like them. I do like alot of their players mind, and the Bundesliga is so strong at the moment, yet it gets written off as being a poor mans Premier League. Taking a Champions League back there would be a credit to the club, but also the division.

From a football perspective, I think it would be a better final. There'd be alot less theatrics (Drogba aside). There's loads of big lads in both sides. It would be a right old scrap, and not the handbags that a Clasico final would be.

Aye don't get me wrong, i'd love a Bayern vs Chelsea final, especially if Bayern won. I just think both Spanish sides will "turn up" at home and win.

Bayern's defence isn't up to much this season, especially in the centre. I'd like to see Boateng moved out to the right, Lahm on the left and Badstuber in the centre with another taller centre back (I knew Hummels going to Dortmund would be a bad bit of business). Van Buyten would be great to have around as cover but i think his contract is up at the end of the season and he's been a touch off pace all season. Midfield is great, as are the wings (adding Shaqiri will be great) and up front is covered with Gomez and Olic (if he re-signs) with Petersen as back-up.

Looks like everyone is pulling out of bidding on Rangers

Blue Knights pulled out due to Ticketus not putting up the £500,000 deposit for preferred bidder status

Bill Ng has announced he is pulling out today due to the bidding process being untenable.

Brian Kennedy has had a verbal offer to take over rejected as it wasn't unconditional or in writing.

The only remaining party with a chance is Bill Miller the yank who wants to create a newco rather than use a CVA to get Rangers out of the mire.

So the next thing is to see how the SPL/SFL/SFA handle the liquidation of the club and the emergence of a newco and where they belong in the structure of Scottish football if it plays out the way it looks like it will.

I just want Berbatov to play regularly and play well. He's too fucking good to sit on a bench and he won't have many seasons left in his prime.

Too right. He's better than Danny Welbeck.

Holt should go to the Euros as the token big lad. Not Crouch or Carroll or Heskey. We don't need "strikers who bring the best out of Rooney". We need strikers who can score just as many as Rooney.

Looks like everyone is pulling out of bidding on Rangers

Blue Knights pulled out due to Ticketus not putting up the £500,000 deposit for preferred bidder status

Bill Ng has announced he is pulling out today due to the bidding process being untenable.

Brian Kennedy has had a verbal offer to take over rejected as it wasn't unconditional or in writing.

The only remaining party with a chance is Bill Miller the yank who wants to create a newco rather than use a CVA to get Rangers out of the mire.

So the next thing is to see how the SPL/SFL/SFA handle the liquidation of the club and the emergence of a newco and where they belong in the structure of Scottish football if it plays out the way it looks like it will.

I don't think the Blue Knights pulled out, they just "took a back seat" to let TicketUs talk to Bill Ng and see how that went.

Yeah and the rest of that article says they were just stepping back to allow the Singaporeans to complete their deal. Which hasn't happened. They said they'd come back in again if the deal fell through.

In fact Bill Ng has just done the same thing. They've withdrawn for now but also said they'd be willing to come back in for the club if no-one else buys it.