aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Things like Thierry Henry's handball against Ireland, IMO is a prime candidate for video replays. That "goal" stopped a team from getting to the World Cup, and the cheating team got there instead. That could have been rectified there and then. They still hate him here. If he ever comes to Ireland on holiday he'll get stoned.

I would say video technology should be used for disputed goals during the match and nothing more. The diving thing should be retrospectively applied. Would it not be the case though that FIFA themselves would have to pass the law, or can the English FA put this into place themselves? Diving is thankfully quite rare in the English game but its far more common in some of the European leagues. Part of the game even. CAn't see the Italian, Spanish leagues etc going for it.

I remember seeing Michael Owen once for Liverpool get chopped down twice during a mazy run into the opposition box, both times he jumped straight back up and continued with his attack. Could have had a penalty twice if he'd stayed down. Gained a lot of repsect for him that day.

Things like Thierry Henry's handball against Ireland, IMO is a prime candidate for video replays. That "goal" stopped a team from getting to the World Cup, and the cheating team got there instead. That could have been rectified there and then. They still hate him here. If he ever comes to Ireland on holiday he'll get stoned.

I would say video technology should be used for disputed goals during the match and nothing more. The diving thing should be retrospectively applied. Would it not be the case though that FIFA themselves would have to pass the law, or can the English FA put this into place themselves? Diving is thankfully quite rare in the English game but its far more common in some of the European leagues. Part of the game even. CAn't see the Italian, Spanish leagues etc going for it.

I remember seeing Michael Owen once for Liverpool get chopped down twice during a mazy run into the opposition box, both times he jumped straight back up and continued with his attack. Could have had a penalty twice if he'd stayed down. Gained a lot of repsect for him that day.

It's hardly threatening to offer the guy a blunt as soon as he gets off the plane. Give reef a chance.

Ashley Young dives on a daily basis, i'd hardly say its rare in the English game.

The biggest problem the FA will face in these cases is when they get it wrong, and wrongly ban a player for diving who was actually fouled, because that will happen, and the outcry will be incredible when it does. We have already seen up here that Aluko is now watched very closely to the point he was booked for diving when actually fouled the other week, and the ref had no hesitation to book him without even considering it. He's been found to dive so the instant reaction when he goes down is it a dive first and foul second. If they start taking action over all of these dubious calls before long we are going to see a ton of complaints from managers and clubs over bans for players, we are also going to see players branded cheaters when they have been genuienly taken down, its a dangerous route to go down.

Regarding the Henry thing, that should absolutely not be stopped for replys, if we go down that route then before long every single incident will be looked at over and over and the flow of the game will be gone. Ireland really should get over that, its as pathetic as Celtic moaning at the weekend, at the end of the day Ireland had plenty chances to win that tie, over both games, they bottled it, they never took advantage when it was given to them and instead focus on one moment, they should be looking at why they did not put an extremely poor France team to bed long before that goal happened, but no they focus on one refereeing moment and blame it all on that. No one knows Ireland would have gone through if that goal did not stand, but they seem to assume they would have. I also dont think Henry cheated, he took advantage of a situation, its not his problem to worry about the decision of the ref in that moment, if it gets called against him then fair play, if not France go through, there isnt anyone on here who wouldnt back that player to the hill if it was for Scotland going through at the expense of the English or French team. We would all be calling it the glorious hand ball. Henry isnt a cheat, the ref just missed an infringment, and this complete bullshit that Henry should have told the ref he handballed is ridiculous as well, its not his job to tell the ref what to do.

Can't agree with you there two of the worst divers at the moment currently play in the EPL.

Gareth Bale and Ashley Young are as bad for diving as any player in Spain or Italy. Maybe except for Sergio Biscuits.

C'mon those two are no worse than a number of other players in the EPL, there just tends to be a focus on them for some reason. I'll admit it's a side of Bale's game that i don't like and maybe they're more blatant about it, but you're missing out the plethora of cheating bastards who go down like Willem Dafoe in Platoon whenever there's even the faintest of touches on them in the box.

C'mon those two are no worse than a number of other players in the EPL, there just tends to be a focus on them for some reason. I'll admit it's a side of Bale's game that i don't like and maybe they're more blatant about it, but you're missing out the plethora of cheating bastards who go down like Willem Dafoe in Platoon whenever there's even the faintest of touches on them in the box.

I didn't mean they are the only bad ones but they are definitely two of the worst. Both in terms of frequency and of how obvious or pathetic the dive is. Suarez is probably worse than both I did forget to mention him.

I didn't mean they are the only bad ones but they are definitely two of the worst. Both in terms of frequency and of how obvious or pathetic the dive is. Suarez is probably worse than both I did forget to mention him.

Torres, Gerrard, Nani, Gamst Pedersen. Even Van Persie has his moments. I don't know what's worse Bale and Young's type of diving which is so obvious it's unreal or the idiots that give fouls for them. To be honest Bale doesn't win that many free kicks or pens for his dives it tends to end up either being waved off or he ends up with a yellow card.

Henry isnt a cheat, the ref just missed an infringment, and this complete bullshit that Henry should have told the ref he handballed is ridiculous as well, its not his job to tell the ref what to do.

It is surely ungentlemanly conduct

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/the-amazingly-honest-marius-ebbers-st-pauli-gets-the-ref-to-rule-out-his-hand-of-god-goal-vs-union-berlin/

We could also pull the Di Canio moment when he wouldnt score when the keeper was down, but the fact is these are iscolated incidents, football is all about gaining those small advantages to win, if they are illegal its up to the ref to stop them, yes its cut throat, but thats why so many people love it.

Like i said, would we have been calling Kenny Millar a cheating bastard if he did the same thing against England, or would be still to this day be celebrating the moment?

Can't agree with you there two of the worst divers at the moment currently play in the EPL.

Gareth Bale and Ashley Young are as bad for diving as any player in Spain or Italy. Maybe except for Sergio Biscuits.

Busquets' reputation is worse than his actual behaviour on the pitch. He rightfully got a load of shit for his peek a boo moment but over the past couple of seasons he really hasn't been that bad for theatrics. There are worse players on the barca team and for most other top teams. He's still no saint but not really the devil of diving some make him out to be. This comes from someone who a couple of years ago hated him and would have said he didn't deserve to be anywhere near the barca team.

He commited a foul, the ref just didnt see it, to me thats not cheating, its not a players job to make the ref aware of everything thats going on, its up to the ref and linesman to keep up. Is it cheating if a player hand balls in his own box, the ref doesnt give a pen, and he doesnt run up to the ref and explain it should be a pen against his team? If its going to work one way it has to also work the other.

Who watched bayern - madrid last night? I caught the last 30 mins or so after work, Bayern were all over them, definitely deserved the late goal but really could have scored more. I think they might regret not getting a better result once the second leg is done. The away goal means it isn't that bad of result for madrid.

I'll probably only see about the same amount of play in tonight's match. Chelsea are going to need a top performance and get lead to take to camp nou. I'm not really sure what's going to happen, I could see it going either way.

Young is definitely the worst in the Premier League for diving. Not just this season, he was constantly cutting inside and going over for Villa. It's what he does. He's won more penalties than any other player, and whilst they could all well be legitimate fouls, I would bet my arms and legs that around half of them are dives. It's annoying, because his two most recent dives, if he hadn't have gone over, I believe he had a very good chance of scoring on both occasions. Nani used to be the worst of them all, especially with the whole staying down and screaming as if he'd had his knees shot to bits. He's sorted himself out though. Read an interview with Nani that Gary Neville and Ryan Giggs took him aside and he got an earbashing about diving. He hasn't really done it for a long time. He's nowhere near as dislikeable as he used to be these days. He's got a bit of an annoying face though.

Glad Bayern won. I like Madrid but I don't want Mourinho to win the Champions League again. Bayern smashed them in terms of possession and pressure. Could have scored more. I also think Marcelo should have been sent off, and they should have had a penalty. Madrid were a bit toss, and some poor defending cost Bayern a stupid away goal, which was a shame. Lahm is great, but god knows what he was doing for the Madrid goal. Boateng too. Poor. If Bayern had a better defence, they'd be as good as Barca. For true. Everything else is bang on. Top keeper. Great midfield. Great attack.

Barca are going to twat Chelsea tonight, and it will probably be Mikel's fault. How is he managing to get a professional footballer salary? Terrible. One of the worst players I can think of who has managed to play for a top club for so long. I can't think of anyone else who has gotten away with it for so long. Jay Spearing might break that record for Liverpoolone day. Probably not though, because I said "top club". ROFLOLMAO.

• Upvote 1