aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Guest Gladstone

Rangers should lose their vote whilst in administration. Why should they get a say in the running of the league when they've been fucking everyone over with their overspending for the past 20 years? And potentially putting other clubs at risk when they can't pay their bills?

11-1 split is ridiculous but it would have been dictated to them by the old firm with some TV money on the table or something at the time.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

Like I said previously, could the 10 teams not just decide to leave the SPL and form their own league and invite Celtic and Rangers in but only on the basis that the old firm don't dictate the rules etc.?

Yeah but the issue was, iirc, Sky were only prepared to offer good money based on games involving the Old Firm, Rangers and Celtic took advantage of this and pushed through changes, which the other teams either agreed to or missed out, back then the teams around the Old Firm still held hopes of challenging them and the thought of losing all that money scared them into a decision.

Guest Gladstone
This - the OF need the other teams in the league as much as we need them. No other fucker wants them.

Exactly - I don't understand why the 10 other teams can't just tell them to fuck off. If Celtic and Rangers don't like it, they can leave the league and they won't have any other league to play in because they won't get into the English league unless it's at a very low level and where else would they go?

I'm not really slating the old firm for this, but more the other teams for being pussy-whipped and not standing up to them. I honestly think that if any other team in Scotland was somehow in the same position as either of the old firm, and was allowed by the other clubs in the league to get away with it, they would do the same because it would be seen as "best for their club" and allowing them to strengthen domestically every season and increase the gap and all that shit. The other teams need to do something to stop them because they won't stop strengthening themselves.

Guest Gladstone
Yeah but the issue was, iirc, Sky were only prepared to offer good money based on games involving the Old Firm, Rangers and Celtic took advantage of this and pushed through changes, which the other teams either agreed to or missed out, back then the teams around the Old Firm still held hopes of challenging them and the thought of losing all that money scared them into a decision.

Changed days now though. Rangers have got themselves into a ridiculous mess and the money being offered is not what it once was. The other clubs need to stop bending over for the old firm if they seriously want the league structure to change.

I dont think it would be as easy as the other 10 teams leaving the league and just starting a new one, i would imagine there are various FIFA and UEFA licenses that are needed amongst other things. Thats before you look at any sponsorship deals already inplace, breaking them would most likely cost the clubs a lot of money, and would they be able to attract new ones quickly? As much as i want to see change, it has to be done right, otherwise we could end up in big trouble.

If the other teams don't manage to hammer out a change now, they never will. Rangers are on the ropes . Celtic will always oppose it but the rest of the teams need to grow a pair and do whatever is necessary to level the playing field and give themselves the best chance of having a say in where the game is headed. At the moment, they might as well not bother voting, because despite the hatred between their fans, the OF teams have such clear common interests that it's extremely difficult to imagine a league-changing decision where they wont back one another up.

Guest Gladstone

I can't believe there isn't something written into the rules which removes Rangers' right to vote whilst in administration. I don't know if that means they need 11-0 to vote a change through or if it means 10-1. It must not mean 10-1 though or else it would have been done by now.

Something clearly has to be done though. They should grow a pair and tell Rangers that if they don't come out of administration and end up being put into liquidation that any RFC12 club or whatever is reformed will be told to get to fuck and not be allowed into the SPL.