aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Daily Express journo:

@ScottBurns75 Ricky Foster is now on a flight down to complete his move to #BristolCity. #Aberdeen will get a lot more than 250k quoted. #bcfc #afc #dons

Good! I'll be happy with the deal if we actually get a decent bit of cash for him. Most fans that seem to hate Foster do so for his shit passing, but as a full back he was generally very good for us and is going to be tough to replace.

hahahahah honestly, £700k for Foster you must be fucking joking! We got £1m for Anderson when he was at the very top of his game and one of the top centre backs in Scotland at the time, we got £400k for Maguire when he was playing for Scotland and regarded as one of Scotlands most exciting prospects. £250k for a player who at best has been average for 3/4 years is great business. Hibs and Dundee United would have probably been smart enough to punt him a few years ago, never mind constantly holding onto him despite him being shite. The club badly needs to move forward, getting rid of Foster is a good start, especially if it lets us strengthen the team and keep our actual good players like Arnason.

It seems a pitiful amount of money for a player in this day and age, but if someone had said to me that a Championship side were going to buy Foster, there's no way I would expect them to pay anything above £350k. He's the antithesis of a flash new signing, and although I'd imagine he'd be in with a good shout of playing regularly for a club like Bristol City, he's still a full-back: a position that for whatever reason has never commanded particularly high transfer fees. I'd far rather hold on to Arnason than Foster for the next wee while, so from that angle its a braugh deal, but it does leave us with a huge full-back dilemma, so I hope Cragie has a plan. Consie and McHardbastard are good centre backs, but they are not full-backs. Not in a million years. Osbourne and Jack have done fine at RB, from what I've seen, but neither are best utilised in that position. It would literally leave us with no recognised full-back above the age of 18, wouldn't it?

Hmmmmm.

EDIT: I am a fan of Foster though.

Good! I'll be happy with the deal if we actually get a decent bit of cash for him. Most fans that seem to hate Foster do so for his shit passing, but as a full back he was generally very good for us and is going to be tough to replace.

Correct - he is a solid SPL full back and will be tough to replace. Danny Grainger from Hearts perhaps, if they're looking to move everyone on and not pay anyone?

hahahahah honestly, £700k for Foster you must be fucking joking! We got £1m for Anderson when he was at the very top of his game and one of the top centre backs in Scotland at the time, we got £400k for Maguire when he was playing for Scotland and regarded as one of Scotlands most exciting prospects. £250k for a player who at best has been average for 3/4 years is great business. Hibs and Dundee United would have probably been smart enough to punt him a few years ago, never mind constantly holding onto him despite him being shite. The club badly needs to move forward, getting rid of Foster is a good start, especially if it lets us strengthen the team and keep our actual good players like Arnason.

The argument is the likes of Hibs and Dundee United have held out for much more for their young players (Kevin Thomson, Scott Brown, Gary O'Connor, David Goodwillie off the top of my head) where the impression given is that the Aberdeen board bite the hands off anyone who comes calling at the first chance they get. We should be looking at about £500k for Foster IMO - 18 months to go, as Chris said Euro experience and a league winners' medal from last year, but also because it's the January window.

Yes but Thompson, Brown and O'Conner were huge prospects at the time, all three have gone onto international football, Brown is one of Scotlands most important players, Thompson could be if he can stop breaking legs, and O'Conner was one of the most sought after Scottish players at the time, Goodwillie is also a Scotland international. Foster isnt fit to lace any of the boots of these guys, he isnt close to the same class.

Foster had what one good season with the dons, when JC was in charge. Yes he was good for us in Europe that year, but lets not kid ourselves, the ONLY reason he was at the huns last year and player in the champs league is because they had no other choice, if they really rated him they would have made a move to sign him last summer.

Saying Foster is a solid full back is a joke as far as im concerned, its no surprise he has been around for every single disaster we have been through in recent years, getting money for him is wonderful news.

I don't really understand the argument about why we should expect huge amounts of money just because he has 18 months left on his contract. Darren Mackie has 18 mths on his contract and has European experience. Fosters' value comes from his talents as a player, and frankly he's had some good and some very bad games this season, so I don't see him as a hugely marketable asset. £700k is crazy talk IMO. He just isn't that good.

In the context of other Scottish signings going south, maybe £250k is on the low-side, but the likes of Goodwillie, O'Connor etc are a) strikers, who always attract bigger fees, and b) are better than Foster.

If £250k is accurate (and I understand the real figure is likely to be higher), that probably represents us basically cashing out his wages for the next 18 mths. So in the long term, really not that different to paying him that £250k for 18mths, and then losing him for nothing.

Either way, he's not irreplacable and as such Im struggling to get very emotional about him leaving. Reynolds was always solid enough when he was at 'Well. Could be a decent signing. Time will tell.

I don't really understand the argument about why we should expect huge amounts of money just because he has 18 months left on his contract. Darren Mackie has 18 mths on his contract and has European experience. Fosters' value comes from his talents as a player, and frankly he's had some good and some very bad games this season, so I don't see him as a hugely marketable asset. £700k is crazy talk IMO. He just isn't that good.

In the context of other Scottish signings going south, maybe £250k is on the low-side, but the likes of Goodwillie, O'Connor etc are a) strikers, who always attract bigger fees, and b) are better than Foster.

If £250k is accurate (and I understand the real figure is likely to be higher), that probably represents us basically cashing out his wages for the next 18 mths. So in the long term, really not that different to paying him that £250k for 18mths, and then losing him for nothing.

Either way, he's not irreplacable and as such Im struggling to get very emotional about him leaving. Reynolds was always solid enough when he was at 'Well. Could be a decent signing. Time will tell.

Liam McLeod on Twitter reckons the fee is less than £250k.

I'm not emotional about Foster leaving. Just Aberdeen selling players on the cheap. This is the same player that was supposedly being touted to Rangers for 7 figures not too long ago.

He probably only did that handball in the world cup because he was playing against a black team. The cuntbag.

Handling the ball is Uruguayan body language for "We are bestest friends foreverest"

I hope United sign any of the midfielders they have been linked with. Even Frank. He can pass the ball forwards and take shots that actually reach the goal, and sometimes go in.

Come on Chris 7 figures for Foster! We barely got 7 figures for Anderson, Foster is not in the same league when it comes to quality. That was nothing more than paper talk, there is no way ANY club would every pay 7 figures for Foster, or for that fact any current dons player except maybe Fyvie.

I did say supposedly. I don't imagine if Rangers had any money we'd have sold him for that. But I still think £250k (or less if Liam McLeod, who's usually reliable is right) is an insult. Stop comparing it to a transfer that happened 5 years ago. Apart from anything else Anderson should have gone for a lot more at the time!

I agree with Hugh Jazz and others.

Foster may have been touted to Rangers for 7 figures, but is there no way they were ever going to pay anything like that and it would have been absolutely crazy of them if they did. Rangers made enquiries in the Summer to get him peranently but they bawked at our asking price and stayed well clear thereafter. Granted, our asking price in the Summer would've been higher than £250k, probably closer to £500k. This is after McCoist having seen him up close and personal whilst he was getting his Champs league appearances and league winners medal. Instead, they went and spent £1.2m on Lee Wallace.

European experience and length of contract can go some ways to boosting a players value, but the main factor is and always will be ability. And although I'm a Foster fan, he has little ability. Getting £250k for him is a great deal so long as we've got a replacement. Foster's main strength in our team was that he was a pacey full-back, not that he was a good pacey full-back.

As with the last time we shipped Foster out, I'm happy with the deal. But we need to replace him with a full-back. They really don't have to be particularly good, but they need to either know the position well or have enough pace to make up for their poor positioning (Foster). Loaning him to Ibrox turned out to be the worst deal of that particular season, but only because it left us with no full-backs. We can't let the same thing happen again.

Heard conflicting reports about Reynolds ability to play full-back. Some say he's good going forward and others say he looks every bit like a centre back played out of position.

I dont know what world your living in Chris, yes the Anderson transfer was a few years ago, since then the worlds economy has taken a sharp decline, especially in footballing terms, clubs are skint, i highly doubt we would get £1m for Anderson now a days if we were able to skip the last 5 years. Simple fact is Foster is a very average player, being signed because the single most important things in the championship are physical attributes. Technically he is poor, and by all accounts he is a tosser anyway. Good riddance in my book, i wont lose any sleep over him leaving and us hopefully bringing in a proper left back.

Liam McLeod on Twitter reckons the fee is less than £250k.

I'm not emotional about Foster leaving. Just Aberdeen selling players on the cheap. This is the same player that was supposedly being touted to Rangers for 7 figures not too long ago.

Anybody of sound mind would know that 7 figures is a fucking ludicrous sum of money to expect Foster to fetch. Like I say, £250k might be lowish, but not by much.

I really don't think this such a bad deal for us at all.

Anybody of sound mind would know that 7 figures is a fucking ludicrous sum of money to expect Foster to fetch.

The 7 figures was what was being mentioned by the club and others when Rangers were interested, it's not my figure and I doubt it would have ever gone through at that.

Going back to Anderson, regardless of the last 5 years economic woes if we were selling the Russell Anderson of 5 years ago to Sunderland today I would still think £1million was too little. SPL clubs might be struggling but £1million was pocket change then for Sunderland and it would still be a tiny transfer for them today. In fact they've actually spent a lot more the last few seasons than the season they bough Anderson:

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/sunderland-transfers.html

Dont get caught up in Anderson's value to us and his actual market value at the time, i agree to us he was worth more than £1m, but in terms of the footballing market £1m for a player not playing international football for a nation at the time struggling badly, for a club not exactly setting the heather alight, in a league in desperate trouble, was good business.

• Upvote 1