aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

The continuing farcical demolition of Hearts is still providing amusing moments. Apparently they're blaming the media for the Andrew Driver story saying they made up reports that he didn't want to play for the club or the manager. Which would be fine except that Hearts aren't talking to the media and the media just reported the statements on the club's official website. So they're now calling themselves liars and saying Driver never made those comments, which they themselves reported, to the manager. Brilliant.

Regardless of all that apparently Driver's agent was on the BBC confirming that he wanted to leave and didn't want to play for the club again. Looks like Ryan Stevensons going the same way now.

At the moment I can't see anyone buying that club and it's £50million of debt held by Romanov. The only outcome I can see is asset stripping and a bunch of youth players in hearts shirts at the end of the season.

• Upvote 1

I have to admit I feel quite sorry for Steve Kean. He's obviously in over his head as a manager and as mentioned previously (by Eupraxia I think) he's like a rabbit in headlights in front of the media, but he shouldn't have to perservere with the treatment he is getting. I've always felt football supporters should get behind their team through thick and thin but Blackburn fans should be ashamed of themselves. All this support the players but not the management is a load of pish...the players hear the abuse as well and it isn't going to help their performances on the pitch. The Bolton game was a good example as the fans were like rats up drainpipes to get on his back and get the banners out. I'm glad to see the other Premiership managers lending their support and even better to hear one of them saying they probably would have got something from the game if the support had backed them for 90 minutes.

He's not a great manager by EPL standards but his own supporters aren't allowing him to try and become one. Unless he is in with Glesga criminals...then fuck that guy.

Steve Kean is getting some harsh treatment from just about everyone, but I think calling for him to step down is a bit wide of the mark. I think when a manager resigns because the going gets tough, it shines quite a negative light on them to their possible future employers. If the club feels he is doing a bad job, they are responsible for getting rid. It is up to the manager to do the best job he can to get them out of trouble, whether he is capable of it or not. If he quits, he paints himself as a quitter when things get difficult, and that's not what you want from a manager. You want a manager who will fight to the death for every point, even when things are seemingly being flushed down the shitter. If he quits tomorrow, who will ever want to hire him again, if he's just going to jump ship when shit hits the fan? I commend him for sticking with it despite how much pressure he is under, and I do believe he has dealt with the entire situation with as much dignity and class as possible, despite the enormous pressure he is under being glaringly obvious in his general demeanour.

I feel sorry for Kean because he's clearly out of his depth and he seems like a decent enough guy, but he's quite deluded. He was talking about Blackburn competing in the Champions League not so long ago, and he speaks as though there's absolutely nothing strange about commuting to India for monthly (!) meetings with Venky's. Well, this whole thing could just be a genius bit of trolling. Who knows?

I have to disagree with the stance taken by the LMA though. Their statement, saying that the fans shouldn't jeer Kean, was incredible patronising. Kean has been the subject of plenty of negativity, but a lot of this has been aimed at Venky's too. The fans' gripes relate to the fortunes of their football club, not Steve Kean as a human being. Fans pay extraordinary amounts of money to watch their team and, for a lot of them, the ground is the only place they can express grievances to the higher-ups. Personal abuse is completely unacceptable, but I don't think there's anything wrong with voicing your displeasure for people who are clearly dragging your club down.

Exactly. He's never criticised the Blackburn supporters for their negativity when he has been on the end of some terrible abuse. He's done the opposite in fact and accepted they have an opinion and asked for them to rally behind the team, which is in fact what they should be doing and would go a long way to help the team on the pitch.

The unfortunate thing for him is if he walks then he is seen as a quitter but if he continues in the job and keeps getting bad results then he'll be recognised as a bad manager. A shitty double edged sword if there ever was one.

Personal abuse is completely unacceptable, but I don't think there's anything wrong with voicing your displeasure for people who are clearly dragging your club down.

This is true to an extent but the abuse of Kean is completely premeditated. The minute they went down against Bolton you got the "Kean out" and "sacked in the morning" chants, all the banners were unfurled, newspapers being waved with the headlines about getting Kean out and there were a large amount wearing t-shirts against the manager and the Venkys. Voicing your opinion about a poor performance is one thing but coming to the ground prepared is another. In fact, I remember a few games ago when the Yak scored his first of four he celebrated with Kean and the fans started booing. And that was a game they won!

But that meeting in India is a total caper. How do they think that is good use of his time when they are struggling in the league.

I think there's a real chance Kean will be Rovers manager for a long time, but if he goes it probably won't be until it's too late. Just like us replacing Joe Kinnear with Alan Shearer, the club will be fucked by the time the new man walks in the door. It's mental that they're in this state because they have one of the best groups of centre-backs in the league (Samba, Dann, Nelsen) and some very talented attacking players (Vukcevic, Hoilett, Rochina). Just goes to show how damaging a terrible manager can be to a club.

This is true to an extent but the abuse of Kean is completely premeditated. The minute they went down against Bolton you got the "Kean out" and "sacked in the morning" chants, all the banners were unfurled, newspapers being waved with the headlines about getting Kean out and there were a large amount wearing t-shirts against the manager and the Venkys. Voicing your opinion about a poor performance is one thing but coming to the ground prepared is another. In fact, I remember a few games ago when the Yak scored his first of four he celebrated with Kean and the fans started booing. And that was a game they won!

I think that's just a natural escalation. You come to the game and boo for a couple of weeks. That doesn't work, so what do you do? Take the next step, make some banners, t-shirts, etc. It's all part of the same protest. Personally I'd never go as far as making a silly banner but I can understand how Rovers fans have reached that point.

It probably doesn't help the players that instead of the fans cheering them on, they are creating a hostile atmosphere in their own ground. Making a banner out of a bedsheet saying "Kean Out" will do fuck all. So just stop being cunts and be the 12th man. As has been said, they shouldn't be in that position with the players they have. The more the fans lose confidence in Kean, the more the players will too, and they'll just sink further and further. The only lifeline they've been given is that there's a few other teams who are utter dogshit this season too.

not for me football was brilliant today as I witnessed Cambridge beating that football giant Braintree 2-0 for our first win in an age, still chipping on those play off doors in the blue square premier, gotta play them away on new years day, looking forward to it.

well done Blackburn for getting a point at the scousers but they are making a habit of drawing against premier league fodder at home this season!

United game had loads of goals, and Berbatov's second was beautiful. It was good watching Chelsea be awful too. Not so bad.

Seeing Berbatov back in amongst it was good. Always liked the chap. If United are gonna win I'd like to see them do so with him in the team. I'd rather see a highly contested 1-0 than a 5-0 drubbing though. I watched 2 nil nils yesterday. I wanted to die.

I saw the funniest thing at the Cambridge v Braintree match yesterday, Braintree hoofed a long ball forward and it was perfect for one of their forwards to latch onto and he would have been clean on goal. It beat the offside trap and our defenders were nowhere to be seen... then the chap who was racing to latch onto the ball fell arse over tit and the ball went harmlessly out of play. Right in front of the United fans as well! He lay there for ages wanting the ground to swallow him up!!!

• Upvote 1

I saw the funniest thing at the Cambridge v Braintree match yesterday, Braintree hoofed a long ball forward and it was perfect for one of their forwards to latch onto and he would have been clean on goal. It beat the offside trap and our defenders were nowhere to be seen... then the chap who was racing to latch onto the ball fell arse over tit and the ball went harmlessly out of play. Right in front of the United fans as well! He lay there for ages wanting the ground to swallow him up!!!

Guest Gladstone

I said the other day that I thought Rangers would win the league. I don't think that anymore. Celtic have the momentum going into the New Year, and I'm almost convinced that Jelavic will be gone. Rangers will really struggle without Jelavic - he's a beast of a player. Can't see Lafferty and Healy filling his boots. Not sure when Naismith is back - he's one of their better players, but nowhere near as good as Jelavic, and they won't be able to afford a Jelavic replacement. Kris Boyd will almost definitely be back in my opinion, but he's no Jelavic either.

The game last night was pretty shit, but the conditions didn't help.

Couple of contentious moments (Rangers "goal" was definitely over the line, but no way the officials could have spotted that in real time, and Hooper was definitely onside when he went one on one with the keeper) that will no doubt have some calling for goal-line technology / video replays etc...

I said the other day that I thought Rangers would win the league. I don't think that anymore. Celtic have the momentum going into the New Year, and I'm almost convinced that Jelavic will be gone. Rangers will really struggle without Jelavic - he's a beast of a player. Can't see Lafferty and Healy filling his boots. Not sure when Naismith is back - he's one of their better players, but nowhere near as good as Jelavic, and they won't be able to afford a Jelavic replacement. Kris Boyd will almost definitely be back in my opinion, but he's no Jelavic either.

The game last night was pretty shit, but the conditions didn't help.

Couple of contentious moments (Rangers "goal" was definitely over the line, but no way the officials could have spotted that in real time, and Hooper was definitely onside when he went one on one with the keeper) that will no doubt have some calling for goal-line technology / video replays etc...

Aye, as Kris Boyd was pretty shit the last time he played for Rangers?