aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

I don't really have a problem with supporting whoever you want, as long as you stick with them, regardless of if it's because they're local, you like their strip, or because you fucking love the glory. I think it's weird when people suddenly switch allegiance though. Someone I went to school with seemed to instantly stop supporting Leeds United the day they got relegated. He now fills my Facebook wall full of Everton garbage, because he's a fully fledged Evertonian now, and totally hates Liverpool. That's weird.

This is pretty much my view too. Changing the team you support from one day to the next is a bit weird. However I do have friend who grew up calling himself a Rangers fan but wasn't really into football. At about 18 he decided he wanted to get more into the game and started going to some dons games being the local team. Now he's one of the biggest dons fans I know.

The attitude of some people that you have to be born inside your team's stadium already holding your season ticket to count as a real fan, gets a bit tiresome.

I don't really have a problem with supporting whoever you want, as long as you stick with them, regardless of if it's because they're local, you like their strip, or because you fucking love the glory. I think it's weird when people suddenly switch allegiance though. Someone I went to school with seemed to instantly stop supporting Leeds United the day they got relegated. He now fills my Facebook wall full of Everton garbage, because he's a fully fledged Evertonian now, and totally hates Liverpool. That's weird.

I never really picked between Wednesday or United when I was younger since my family ties were split that way. It probably would have helped if I grew up in either Sheffield or Manchester, but I grew up kind of halfway between the two. I've been taken to games for both sides since before I can really remember. I can't imagine ever just deciding to follow someone else. I'm guilty of neglecting Wednesday the past couple of years since League 1 gets shite coverage. I'll probably follow them alot closer now they are in the Championship and it's easier to get streams.

cool post

nhSoO.png

That's the thing - support who you want but 'support' means you don't switch allegiances. There's a whole bunch of reasons why you might want to support a team and all are valid I suppose but stick to your guns.

I still find it hilarious, the thought of sizeable chunks of the football watching population in places miles away from Manchester suddenly referring to City as 'we'. That's part of the beauty of football though I suppose - there's no rules on who you can and can't support.

I have lots of 'preferences' when it comes to teams (Real over Barca, City over United, Everton over Liverpool, Celtic over Rangers, Marseille over PSG, etc, etc)

However I 'support' fair play and gentlemanly conduct for the record. And the dons.

In any case, we all know Delboy is the true glory hunter.

• Upvote 2

Guest Gladstone
So what happens when Wigan are bought over by Qatari oil folk then? Will we start seeing Wigan kits aawhy? I hope so.

I just want to state for the record that I've starting following Wigan now - I'm no glory hunter.

I've fallen out of love with Celtic over the past couple of seasons but can't bring myself to "support" another SPL team really. I will be following the fortunes of Ross County though and will adopt them as my new "team" in Scotland.

Wigan were awesome towards the end of the season and Gary Caldwell is God after scoring the winner at Anfield...

This is pretty much my view too. Changing the team you support from one day to the next is a bit weird. However I do have friend who grew up calling himself a Rangers fan but wasn't really into football. At about 18 he decided he wanted to get more into the game and started going to some dons games being the local team. Now he's one of the biggest dons fans I know.

The attitude of some people that you have to be born inside your team's stadium already holding your season ticket to count as a real fan, gets a bit tiresome.

Were you friends with Ryan?

I don't really have that attitude, I just think you should support your local team. I've been made bitter by decades of gloating OF supporting friends, who have no reason to support Rangers/Celtic other than they want to, and then they mock me, Para! Oh how they mock me relentlessly! It's alright for you, your second team is probably the greatest the universe has ever seen. Mine is probably Cove Rangers.

Not Ryan no.

I like the idea of supporting your local team. Mostly as I think you build more of a connection with a team if you actually get along to stadium to see the games in person. Or at least you build that connection quicker.

However there are times when this isn't the case and it's still fair enough in my eyes. Obviously your parents have a big influence and they might not support your local team. Or your parents might not care at all and you get influenced by other kids in the playground or as Soda said you just like their strip or there is one star player you really like. You might start following a team for a silly reason but if you continue to follow them over a period of years and stay loyal to that team you're bound to end up feeling emotionally connected to the team and by that point I think it's almost irrelevant how you started out as a fan.

I'd say I support my local team, the mighty Deveronvale. However the Vale's games aren't shown on the telly and because I work a Saturday I rarely get to see their games. Still have a keen interest in them though and always check the scores and that. I don't really follow any other team to be honest. If a team is playing exciting football or doing really well for themselves I like to keep up to date with them but apart from that I don't really care.

People can support whoever they want in my opinion. The most passionate fans seem to have some kind of connection to the club though.

I'd say I support my local team, the mighty Deveronvale. However the Vale's games aren't shown on the telly and because I work a Saturday I rarely get to see their games. Still have a keen interest in them though and always check the scores and that. I don't really follow any other team to be honest. If a team is playing exciting football or doing really well for themselves I like to keep up to date with them but apart from that I don't really care.

People can support whoever they want in my opinion. The most passionate fans seem to have some kind of connection to the club though.

Deveronvale are my highland league team! My Dad's family lived up in banff for a while. One of my uncle's still does and goes to all the games and gets involved with the club, helped raise money for the new stand a few years back etc. My dad and his other brother who are both dons fans go up there for the odd game now and again. Usually when they have a chance of winning the league.

Glory hunting bastards.

• Upvote 2

Deveronvale are my highland league team! My Dad's family lived up in banff for a while. One of my uncle's still does and goes to all the games and gets involved with the club, helped raise money for the new stand a few years back etc. My dad and his other brother who are both dons fans go up there for the odd game now and again. Usually when they have a chance of winning the league.

Glory hunting bastards.

My girlfriends dad was a star striker for both Deveronvale and Buckie Thistle, and they're from that neck of the woods so I might start catching a few of their games. Was gonna go to more Cove games this year (because I doubt I can afford to see Aberdeen every week) but I think that might make him hate me.

Just so this is documented somewhere, this is my England squad prediction:

Hart, Green, Ruddy

Johnson, Cole, Baines, Terry, Cahill, Jones, Lescott

Gerrard, Barry, Milner, Parker, Lampard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Young, Walcott

Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge, Rooney, Holt

Carrick for Parker if Parker's injured as reports suggest. Would personally have had Richards in for Johnson but doesn't look likely.

Glory hunting bastards.

They must of been dissappointed this year! They've not had the best season. 3 players moved to Australia at the start of the year and they didn't really recover. I think they are looking for a new manager as well. Might post them my progress report from my successful stint as Newport boss on FM! They should be good to make a push for a top 3 finish next season. They better or I might start supporting Forres Mechanics!

They've actually got a pretty nice ground. The stand and that is pretty good and the facilities down at Princess Royal are very good. Not alot of Highland League teams can boast they have a gym, two astroturf pitches and a skatepark at their grounds!

Princess+Royal+Park+-+The+home+of+Deveronvale+FC.jpg

Mon the Vale!

However I do have friend who grew up calling himself a Rangers fan but wasn't really into football. At about 18 he decided he wanted to get more into the game and started going to some dons games being the local team. Now he's one of the biggest dons fans I know.

Were you friends with Ryan?

That's my actual exact story. Weird. Between the ages of 4 and 11 I supported (in this order): Aberdeen when I first started school, then Celtic for about 3 years, then Rangers for a wee while for no reason, then Aberdeen again when I changed schools and I wanted to fit in, then Rangers again when I made friends with a kid at my new school who supported Rangers.

I was indecisive as a kid. I generally just supported whoever my mates at the time supported. Neither my dad or granda like(d) football and I don't have any older brothers, cousins etc. so I didn't get a team "handed down" to me.