aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

I see absolutely no point in changing the management team. we have no money, and there's no one better out there to take over. even if there was, they'd be given no money to improve.

we've actually got a better overall squad than last season but it's just not clicking. killie are having a great season and we had something like 6 players injured or not fully fit. it's not a big surprise that we lost.

what is disappointing is that brown refuses to play pawlett. he's our most natural winger and although he has off days, he's always capable of causing problems. maybe he's going through bad form in training but we've got nothing to lose now by playing our more adventurous players. we also badly need arnason back to fitness.

• Upvote 3

I think he's having a dig at Aberdonians' work-ethic. Apologies if he's not. I've heard it before from central-belters, particularly weegies, but it's an argument that never stands up to scrutiny.

It's not a "dig" it's my opinion and what I see day to day and I'm far from the only one. As for never stands up, I beg to differ.

Working for a very large company who has facilites all over the world, the consistent worse performers are all the Aberdeen plants even though they've had the most investment and has the highest salary rates too. We have switched management on a number of occasions to change things but it's always very much short term fix. You get the short term burst then they return to the same old. The workers are qualified and capable of doing the work far better.

A bit tired of hearing "this is the way we've done this for xx years" or the fact that you are a Weggie(which I'm not) instantly makes your argument worthless is both seriously weak and tedious. It often seems that Aberdonians don't like people coming into their city.

Historical evidence at the work now means the company that I work for don't advertise jobs locally. They spend far more money recruiting people from distance and pay all the expenses associated with that.

It's not a "dig" it's my opinion and what I see day to day and I'm far from the only one. As for never stands up, I beg to differ.

Working for a very large company who has facilites all over the world, the consistent worse performers are all the Aberdeen plants even though they've had the most investment and has the highest salary rates too. We have switched management on a number of occasions to change things but it's always very much short term fix. You get the short term burst then they return to the same old. The workers are qualified and capable of doing the work far better.

A bit tired of hearing "this is the way we've done this for xx years" or the fact that you are a Weggie(which I'm not) instantly makes your argument worthless is both seriously weak and tedious. It often seems that Aberdonians don't like people coming into their city.

Historical evidence at the work now means the company that I work for don't advertise jobs locally. They spend far more money recruiting people from distance and pay all the expenses associated with that.

Come on he has a point here, because every worker in these plants will be born and bred Aberdonains....In my experience i have met work shy and workahaolic Aberdonains you know like every other city in the fucking world.

Perhaps recruitment processes in the past have been very poor. I don't think your opinion of Aberdonians is intrinsic to the area at all. I worked for the Scottish Government in Edinburgh for 18 months, and I assure you, I have never seen so many unmotivated and assuming people all "working" in one place. I never saw evidence of this in the private sector in Aberdeen at all. And they didn't feel the need to fucking strike twice a year, either. But I don't believe for a second that all Midlothian citizens are of the same worth ethic or mindset as those I witnessed at the government.

You're entitled to call it as you see it, of course, and I respect that. But I do perhaps feel that these negative idiosyncrasies you're tarring all North East citizens with are slightly misplaced and can maybe be more accurately attributed a little more to your company or the area of operations your company is involved in.

• Upvote 2

Meh no point feeding the troll to be honest, everyone has their say but they usually come from those outwith the city with very little knowledge of what goes on up here, same as anywhere really. Anyway this is a thread about football, not work ethic in Aberdeen, and since most of our squad do not come from Aberdeen i fail to see the point of the argument.

there is no point sacking Brown, we cant keep sacking managers and hope that everything magically changes, there has to be a fundemental change at the club from the top level, these folk have been the only real constant throughout the years of terrible results and performances. Its all gone downhill since they sacked Jimmy and they should be made accountable for what has happened.

Well, chumly, I AM a Central Belter/West Coaster/Weedgie and that, sir, is a complete pile of shit. Like yourself, I have worked for large multi-nationals in a fair few locations over the years and have found the "Aberdeen Plants" in whatever capacity, to be for the most part, top drawer.

Poor show and a shit post :(

No money.....no would-be successor.....Milne underwriting £8m of debt without which our bank would not want to know us.....millions of past managers who have all failed to some degree.....Darren Mackie etc etc etc etc.

I can't even be fucked making this into a coherent argument because we've done this so many fucking times already, but frankly if anyone still genuinely believe that binning the manager/board is the correct course of action, you can piss up a fucking rope. Seriously, how many more fucking times do AFC have to go through this before some people stop making ludicrous, costly demands of the club and start facing the realities of our situation?

• Upvote 1

I'm not an Aberdeen native and I have a work ethic as strong as Adel Taarabt. So there.

Southampton and West Ham lost while Middlesbrough won, if that can happen every week from now until the end of the season I'll be thrilled. Mint goal to win it too - my favourite thing about it is the Bristol City player throwing the ball at Maloury Martin's head after picking the ball out of the net:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrSChwhkY9w

What a hit. He really Ballacked it.

It's alot like this one.

BALLACKED!

What a great free kick, Ausria didn't stand a chance.

I think that, more or less, Aberdeen's problems would be solved in their entirety if we somehow got Russell Anderson back.

Thats Considine all over, he can be brilliant on his day, but he constantly makes huge mistakes that cost us goals, he is one that could do with moving on i think.

I really dont know the answer for the dons, we have been talking about it all morning here at work, sacking Brown is not the answer, Milne leaving is not the answer, i dont personally see what Miller does for his money, but sacking him probably wont change much. The club needs a big overhal, but there is no money to do that, and no manager will be given the time needed to completely change the club around, we will keep sacking managers and picking up another one to steady the ship for a while yet.

Maybe going down, as disastrous as it may be, would be the best thing for the dons, they would be forced into wholesale changes at the club, but would we survive? What happens to our new expensive stadium if we go down? Will they still waste millions on it when no one will come to watch 1st division football? These are some very important questions they should be thinking about.

Thats Considine all over, he can be brilliant on his day, but he constantly makes huge mistakes that cost us goals, he is one that could do with moving on i think.

I really dont know the answer for the dons, we have been talking about it all morning here at work, sacking Brown is not the answer, Milne leaving is not the answer, i dont personally see what Miller does for his money, but sacking him probably wont change much. The club needs a big overhal, but there is no money to do that, and no manager will be given the time needed to completely change the club around, we will keep sacking managers and picking up another one to steady the ship for a while yet.

Maybe going down, as disastrous as it may be, would be the best thing for the dons, they would be forced into wholesale changes at the club, but would we survive? What happens to our new expensive stadium if we go down? Will they still waste millions on it when no one will come to watch 1st division football? These are some very important questions they should be thinking about.

wanting your club to go down is ridiculous, i know it's clutching at straws, but it's still a pretty extreme thing to want and would only lead to a worse club.

miller's already been moved to just handle youth development, an area where he is quite strong. the board have taken actions to bring in more business experience this season at director level and restructured directors areas of responsibility. only time will tell if that's a success but really they seem to be doing everything right. they're moving stadium to clear the club's debt and improve the facilities, the chairman is guaranteeing our current debt and has provided funds at key times to help the club, the fans wanted jimmy sacked so they got rid and hired a club legend to take us forward but then were hampered by the collapse of the setanta deal. they switched the focus a few seasons ago to youth development and we've now got a clutch of young players coming through who could go on to play at this level or higher for years to come. they replaced mcghee with the most experienced management team available and he's improved the squad on a shoestring budget.

the only thing missing is results and getting rid of darren mackie.

i'm at a loss to find a solution and i'm sure the board and management are equally frustrated.

• Upvote 1

Considine has been excellent this season, for me PotS to date.

New stadium allows us to service the (£8 million or so of) debt.

Going down would be a complete disaster. It is absolutely the worst thing that could happen.

We must sign a creative player in January, whether that is on loan or otherwise. Rumour that McArdle will be 'freed' to allow him to join Paul Sturrock at Southend, so with that and hopefully at least a percentage of the Aluko 'fee', we will have the budget to take someone in. There is also rumour that Milsom is being tracked by various Championship sides. Now while I wouldn't particularly like to see him go, if we can get a bit of cash for him (he's contracted until 2013 I believe), and a genuine winger in instead I think I'd be much happier with the balance of the team. Generally we're as solid a side as any outside the OF and perhaps Hearts/Motherwell. We retain the ball well in midfield, and in Jack-Mawene-Considine-Foster we have a decent back four. We just lack a bit (okay, a lot) of creative spark to turn posession into chances.

No, that's crazy talk. The notion that going down would do us good is a ridiculous myth. Nothing is more certain to lower the standard of the club even further and bring the spectre of administration closer than dropping a division.

If we go down, we continue to be saddled with a delapidated stadium that we can barely afford to maintain. We'll lose anybody in our squad that is even half-decent overnight, we'll lose TV money, we'll lose fans for good. Nothing good can come of it whatsoever.

And by the way, the new stadium is not a "waste" of millions, and it is not Stewart Milne's devious end-game so he can get a hold of Pittodrie's land. It's our best chance of staying in business and remaining a competitive club.

One of our biggest problems is being able to attract players. IMO, getting top class training facilities and a swanky new ground will be a massive boost in that regard. If you were an English/foreign player who knew fuck all about Scottish football and were weighing up your options, I'd wager that you'd favour the club with the first class ground/facilities over Fir Park, Rugby Park, ICT etc.

Stewart Milne's plan - as far as I understand it - is to oversee the delivery of the new stadium, then leave with the club with a new ground AND a far better balance sheet than they currently have. If he can do that, we'll be the envy of a lot of other clubs, and we'll have a great base upon which to build a decent squad.

Relegation means none of that happens.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone

Never even considered the argument of new facilities attracting players etc. before - do you think the location of the new stadium/facilities also be a plus from that point of view? I.e. it's just south of the city, so seems a little more accessible than having to battle through Aberdeen to get to it.

All I've ever heard is negativity about the new stadium from miserable Aberdeen fans from North of the city (probably the same fans that only go to Old Firm matches).