aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

It's actually very widespread among people who are apparently successful.

One of my best friends is a freelance clinical psychologist, and among her clients she has several high-flying businessmen/women including company directors, CEOs. Basically, intelligent family people, earning mega-bucks, living in beautiful houses, driving fast cars etc. The perceived relationship between depression and success is completely incorrect and is at the root of why depression is so misunderstood.

I wouldn't associate depression and success, but I do think that there is some force in the hypotheses that depression and intelligence are linked. I'm not saying that you have to be hyper intelligent to suffer, but people of above average intelligence tend to be those who are more susceptible. It is therefore not surprising that so many people in high power jobs, earning the big bucks, are susceptible as they are more than likely of a much higher than average intelligence.

Then take two footballers who have been depressed: Stan Collymore and Gary Speed. I don't think that it is way off the mark to say they are (or seem) reasonably intelligent, in comparison to other footballers. Maybe I'm getting carried away with the argument now, though.

I'm not sure I'd give any credence to the argument that intelligence is related to depression. Just look at folk like Ricky Hatton or Frank Bruno who have had well publicised problems.

It's definitely the case however that depression sufferers who are in the public eye and have had 'successful' careers get far more press attention than sufferers who don't. That doesn't mean that one is more commonplace than the other though.

I'm not sure I'd give any credence to the argument that intelligence is related to depression. Just look at folk like Ricky Hatton or Frank Bruno who have had well publicised problems.

It's definitely the case however that depression sufferers who are in the public eye and have had 'successful' careers get far more press attention than sufferers who don't. That doesn't mean that one is more commonplace than the other though.

I'm not saying that people you might call unintelligent can't get depressed. I just think more intelligent people are perhaps more susceptible. People with an active - perhaps overactive - brain.

I know he has a ridiculous amount of money, but you should also consider that people with more money still have bills and mortgages (bigger ones than the average joe) to pay. Still a bit of a bold statement I grant you, gotta give him kudos for his honesty though.

I know he has a ridiculous amount of money, but you should also consider that people with more money still have bills and mortgages (bigger ones than the average joe) to pay. Still a bit of a bold statement I grant you, gotta give him kudos for his honesty though.

i'm unlikely to have much sympathy just because his flash sportscar costs more to run than a normal car and the mortgage on his mansion is higher than mine. yes, living standards are relative and if you're accustomed to a particular lifestyle and can expect to earn contracts which would maintain that then fine, just don't greet about it to the press cause we won't have any sympathy. multimillionaire footballers can well afford top financial advisors and have many tax efficient products which help them make the most of their vast earnings. I'd imagine these guys are earning more in tax free interest than i earn through work in a year.

poor didier. also, to be ultra cynical, it's probably tax efficient to donate a portion of earnings to charity. but i don't want to take too much away from that, fair play to millionaire footballers setting up charities to help poorer communities. (that sounds really sarcy, but it's not meant to!)

i'm unlikely to have much sympathy just because his flash sportscar costs more to run than a normal car and the mortgage on his mansion is higher than mine. yes, living standards are relative and if you're accustomed to a particular lifestyle and can expect to earn contracts which would maintain that then fine, just don't greet about it to the press cause we won't have any sympathy. multimillionaire footballers can well afford top financial advisors and have many tax efficient products which help them make the most of their vast earnings. I'd imagine these guys are earning more in tax free interest than i earn through work in a year.

poor didier. also, to be ultra cynical, it's probably tax efficient to donate a portion of earnings to charity. but i don't want to take too much away from that, fair play to millionaire footballers setting up charities to help poorer communities. (that sounds really sarcy, but it's not meant to!)

I don't think he's moaning in particular. He's just saying he'll go where there's the most money.

I don't think he's moaning in particular. He's just saying he'll go where there's the most money.

Yeah he's not moaning at all. If you knew you could only work for another 5 years at most you'd want to earn as much monies as you can. Set you up for the rest of your life as much as you can (even if you are already minted).

Hope he goes to America to be honest. He could help raise the profile of an MLS team even more and hopefully that league can keep developing.

Drogba could still play for just about any side in the world. If he went there in his prime, he'd just take the piss.

Wonder how they'd replace him though. Lukaku gets compared to Drogba purely because he's tall, black and has long hair. They are nowhere near anything alike in quality. Drogba is exceptionally mobile for a start. Lukaku seems to run in slow motion and might even have more of a trampoline first touch than John O'Shea. Sturridge will probably be the real deal, but Torres is probably never going to be good again. I imagine they'll possibly sign neymar after the constant linking. It wouldn't be right seeing Chelsea with a slight and nippy centre forward though. They should buy Llorente instead. He is as big as a house.

In important silverware news, troubled wonderkid Ravel Morrison is set to make his first start tonight for United in the Carling Cup. He's an absolute lunatic, and when he finally breaks through into the first team, he will probably make Mario Balotelli look like a saint. He's constantly getting himself in the shit. He's on his last warning from the courts and is a whisker away from being sent to prison. He beat up his girlfriend and his girlfriends mum, and he also threw his girlfriend's iPhone under a tram for texting her Dad. Pretty sure United paid the courts a massive sum of money to keep him out of jail when he was found driving a stolen car whilst in possession a handgun too. A regular civilian would have been banged up for that, with or without the previous that Ravel has. Headcase.

He also scored a goal against the Liverpool reserves, ran over to their fans and grabbed his meat and veg and shouted at them to fuck off. I think that makes up for all the assault and possession of firearms. He hates scousers. Good lad. He's been ordered to live under the supervision of Gary Neville, which is probably a worse punishment than prison really. Hes probably doing all this shit so he can get out of Neville Manor and into jail for a bit of peace.

He's ridiculously good though. He probably would have broken through to the first team sooner if he hadn't have been joyriding or mugging Moss Side locals outside the Spar.

AffSru2CEAAyv32.png

He really is in way over his head. Last night he played an out and out defensive midfielder at right mid, a left footed centre back at right back and a right footed central midfielder at left back. They started with Blackman and Goodwillie up top but he changed them both after 80 minutes for a new pairing of Roberts and Yakubu. They're bottom of the league; he is constantly contradicting himself and maintaining they have played well. I watched them play Stoke. It was wow bad.

They definitely aren't a squad of players who should be bottom of the league. They do genuinely have some really decent players like Hoilett, Rochina, Robinson, Olsson, Samba, Yakubu, N'Zonzi, Dann, Formica and ocassionally Pedersen and Dunn. I wouldn't exactly say they have a weak squad overall, either.

He's doing it wrong and he and the Venky people are going to completely fuck the club up for good. They've always relied on stability, which is lost. I really can't see them staying up now.

Maybe the Vencky's have forgotten that they bought Blackburn - like when half way through the season you remember you set up a fantasy football team in the Summer, you log in and find you're sitting bottom and most of your players have been sidelined for months or moved to different countries.

• Upvote 4