aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

It's horrid to say, but there's barely even a bad egg amongst them either. None of them seem to be divers or referee crowders. De Jong can be a bit dangerous sometimes, and Balotelli is an idiot (though a lovable idiot). I don't count Tevez because he's pretty much off the books anyway, and no one gives a fuck about him. Other than that, they are all top blokes. Aguero used to throw himself around in his early days, but he seems to have pulled himself together and now he stays on his feet and works hard. Good blokes.

I don't like Lescott, but that's not because he's a cunt, it's just because he talks like Dizzee Rascal or something. Caught him on Soccer AM once. Ended sentences with "and ting" and described good things as "well sick". Wanker.

Aberdeen continue to be woeful. On this form I think we're proper relegation fodder.

Bottom of the league on merit. Dont really know where to start. Haemorraging stupid goals at the back, and bereft of creativity up front.

If we get another bad result or two, what bets on the managerial merry-go-round taking a spin before the festive season's over?

If we get another bad result or two, what bets on the managerial merry-go-round taking a spin before the festive season's over?

You really have to question the judgement of a man that signs Chalali, to be fair.

Can we even afford to dump him so early? (edit: not that I would, I think changing a manager is not something to just snap ones fingers over)

Taylor's ruptured his achilles and will be out for the rest of the season, Coloccini's picked-up a thigh strain. That's us finishing 13th, then.

...and they're both in my fantasy football team. Today I left my PES master league to go to check the Dons score. Realising we were 1-0 already I went back through to continue my game and realised I hadn't paused it and my opponents had scored. On top of watching the draw for Euro 2012 and screaming "cheating bastards" every time the Czech Rep were mentioned this has been the worst weekend for football ever. Fuck football.

We have to stick with Brown but I fear the worst with the transfer window looming as I don't think we'll be capable of making the changes required - nobody wants our shite, we've nae money and our better players could be looking elsewhere. As Hugh Jazz has noted we are rotten throughout. A 2-0 defeat at Killie is no surprise at all but being properly bottom of the league is an eye opener for even the most optimistic of Dons fans like myself.

How many managers can be blamed for the reoccurrence of the same mentality on the pitch?

How many years now have Aberdeen underperformed and all that keeps getting said is we are better than that, we deserve better etc?

The problems are a lot deeper rooted than the manager or the players on the park.

How many managers can be blamed for the reoccurrence of the same mentality on the pitch?

How many years now have Aberdeen underperformed and all that keeps getting said is we are better than that, we deserve better etc?

The problems are a lot deeper rooted than the manager or the players on the park.

Might be. But the directors and the board (who I can only assume you refer to) won't budge easily, and you know it.

Care to elaborate on that?

Not too much as it will end in flame throwing, but it is in my eyes a very fair opinion.

Ask any non Aberdonian that comes in with a fresh pair of eyes what they think of the team spirit and work ethic in Aberdeen.

There is a sizeable group of us from the central belt working at different companies and all of us are left with the same opinion. What we see in Aberdeen is what we see in the team and the attitude towards the team.

Not too much as it will end in flame throwing, but it is in my eyes a very fair opinion.

Ask any non Aberdonian that comes in with a fresh pair of eyes what they think of the team spirit and work ethic in Aberdeen.

There is a sizeable group of us from the central belt working at different companies and all of us are left with the same opinion. What we see in Aberdeen is what we see in the team and the attitude towards the team.

Weird.

I don't think Aberdeen are under performing that much that it can't at least in large part be pointed at the manager. You're squad is wafer thin and apart from a few good young players there's no great creativity or goal scoring in the team to make you perform better. Hardly any decent signings from the manager (I realise he doesn't have any money but neither do a lot of the sides above you) and a general lack of organisation on the pitch.

The current Aberdeen squad is no more than a bottom 4 team and that's exactly where they are. They are really in danger as well as I fancy Callie to go on a run at the moment way more than I see Aberdeen doing.

A lot of it is unrealistic expectation. There is just not the depth in SPL first team squads at the moment which leads to inconsitencies in form when the squads are under duress from fixture congestion and injuries. Even Celtic and Rangers have had problems in maintaining consitent performances after midweek fixtures in Europe.

There really isn't enough money in the SPL to bring in the quality players that would be required to cope seemlessly with those sorts of situautions so there is a lot of pressure on younger players to step up and perform at a level they aren't perhaps ready for (especially due to the fickle nature of a lot of SPL fans these days). What this does mean though is that those players are reaching their mid-twenties and having gathered a decent amount of experience (in european competitons in some cases), getting fed up of the quality of football and the level of personal challenge that that presents to them and are leaving (usually on free transfers) to play for more money in leagues where there is a lot more competition (Championship/League One). Now while that, in the short term, is arguably better for the national team in some respects it is obviously detrimental for the SPL both now and in the future as SPL clubs will consistently be heamorraging money each season.

It's a vicious circle that Scottish football fans are going to have to get used to and get behind the players that they have at clubs while they're playing there and not feel cheated when they obviously want to better themselves professionally and financially elsewhere.

Dundee United are going through a transition season at the moment having lost the guts of the team's core (Gomis, Buaben, Conway, Goodwillie etc) during the summer and not having the depth or finances to cope with that straight away. I'm just sucking it up and taking it as part of modern Scottish football. There are some (potentially) good players making an impression in the first team and in the youth squad but they aren't going to be performing consitently together as a team straight away (or even this season) and we're going to lose Garry Kenneth, who has been a solid player at the back for us for the past couple of seasons, for nothing at the end of the season.

I don't envy managers in the SPL any more. All of them have a pretty thankless task keeping directors/players and fans happy and actually getting results with what they've got at their disposal both squad-wise and financially. I know if i was a manager i wouldn't want that sort of poisoned chalice.

• Upvote 6

All these people who think this - do you all work for the same company or at different companies?

Edit: Sorry, you've already clarified that. Carry on.

A lot of Aberdeen's problems this season, I think, stem from losing their two most creative players over the summer. Aluko and Maguire, regardless of whether or not you think they're pricks, both have a bit of ingenuity about them, which is more than you can say for anybody in the current Aberdeen side. Take those two out of the equation and you have a very uninspiring squad. There are plenty of good, hard-working players at Aberdeen but they don't fit the style of football Craig Brown wants to play at all.

Arnason is a very good player, as is Milsom, and there are a few half-decent young players. Fallon/Vernon should work as a partnership because of their contrasting attributes but the lack of a single natural winger in the squad makes their job incredibly difficult.

A lot of Aberdeen's problems this season, I think, stem from losing their two most creative players over the summer. Aluko and Maguire, regardless of whether or not you think they're pricks, both have a bit of ingenuity about them, which is more than you can say for anybody in the current Aberdeen side. Take those two out of the equation and you have a very uninspiring squad. There are plenty of good, hard-working players at Aberdeen but they don't fit the style of football Craig Brown wants to play at all.

Arnason is a very good player, as is Milsom, and there are a few half-decent young players. Fallon/Vernon should work as a partnership because of their contrasting attributes but the lack of a single natural winger in the squad makes their job incredibly difficult.

I've always thought Milsom was a born winger and can't understand why he hasn't worked on that.

This is accurate.

What an unbelievable heap of shite.

Don't even know where to start with it, but crikey.

• Upvote 2