aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Just read Terry Butcher's rant from Saturday. I've always thought he was a bit of a penis. He is correctly aggrieved about the red card though - that was a shocker from the referee. The only thing in the ref's defence was that he was behind Samaras when the players went up for the header so wouldn't have been able to see that the ICT player didn't elbow him. But how he could send a player off for something he clearly can't see is beyond me.

But Butcher's rant about refereeing in general seems a bit off, particularly his complaint about not having a penalty in 15 games. You can't just expect to get a certain number of penalties per match - it doesn't work like that. Generally, if you're bottom of the league, you will be a poorer team than the 11 teams above you and you'll be in the opposition box less etc etc. They did have a soft shout for a penalty on Saturday, which sometimes would have been given - it's difficult to see from the highlights whether Ledley got the ball or the man first - but it would have been a soft penalty if given. I just looked up the penalty stats, and Butcher crying about no penalties in 15 games seems ridiculous when Celtic, second in the league have had 2 penalties in 14 games. Rangers have had 5 penalties, but then they're top of the league so you'd expect that. Aberdeen and Dundee Utd also haven't had a penalty according to these stats:

http://www.statbunker.com/football/btb/index.php?PL=competition&CompID=369&statType=teampen&x=27&y=13

It is quite interesting that none of the top 3 have conceded a penalty though. That will get the old firm haters going ;)

Aberdeen have been in our opponent's box an average of once per game and no penalties! Central belt bias.

Having been at the East Fife game, I'll be perfectly happy if I never have to see an Aberdeen player take another penalty in my entire life.

I'd like to think we can do some giant killing in the cup next season and penalty kicks are the staple of all giant killing stories. The shock of the round came at the Falkirk Stadium where First Division Aberdeen knocked out the SPL's Falkirk on penalties with skipper Darren Mackie scoring the decisive spot kick to put the part timers through to a lucrative tie at St. Johnstone.

Sorry for changing tract.

The MLS cup was last night. Not the greatest game but the atmosphere looked incredible. There was a really big interest in the game in the media too. All promising signs for the game over here.

That's great, but can you stop saying "the game" pls?

There's a great book about that condition written by a French guy who suffered the same kind of stroke:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_15?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+diving+bell+and+the+butterfly&x=0&y=0&sprefix=the+diving+bell

He assigned a set number of blinks to all the letters of the alphabet based on their use ('e' = 1 blink, 'a' = 2, etc.), and then dictated it to a nurse who wrote it all out (100+ pages overall). Really good but really sad. :(

The film's good too.

/back to soccer ball.

• Upvote 1

City's biggest reason for hope is that Bayern can lose and still finish top. I think they'll still want to give City a game though.

United need to sort themselves out. Looks like they will almost certainly finish second which could bring a very tough match in the next round. And considering Basle got a draw at Old Trafford 2nd place isn't even guaranteed.

Take Vidic and Rooney out of the United side, and you lose everything. You need one or the other, or preferably both, bot not neither. There was just no leader in the team. Funnily enough, I thought Carrick was man of the match, which is a weird thing to say. It doesn't look right reading it back, or saying it out loud. But I think he was. He did stuff like kicking the ball forwards, towards the goal he is trying to get his team to score in, and a player on his own team recieved that ball. He also managed to kick the ball away from the control of an opposing player sometimes too, which was WELL MAD.

Considering how Fergie likes to send out a bit of a tweeked side in CL group games - even when it's important - its actually a very plausible possibility that both the Red and Cunt sides of Manchester could be playing in the Uefa Cup. Banging.

Hopefully Benfica will somehow draw against Hotel Gelato, so United don't get kicked to fuck by Madrid or Barca in the first real round.