aberdeen-music

Confessions

ca_gere

DEF!

They're not even a guilty pleasure, because they are just so great.

Yesterday I was in a basement of a branch cleaning out boxes of old paperwork for seven and a half hours and I had my ipod on for all but about one hour of that. During that time, all I listened to was Pyromania and Hysteria over and over and over again! So good! I love the fact that Hysteria had 12 tracks and they released 7 of them as singles!

I'm not a Smiths fanboy by any means - although I always enjoyed their singles at the time, I had higher priority bands to devote my limited funds to and I only bought up their albums much later, but I must say that to mine ears they sound naff all like Joy Division (and to be fair, Ian Curtis was hardly the stand up guy was he?) and Morrissey was actually an OK kind of chap in their heyday, having a way with good soundbites. Genius lyricist as well, for all their reputation as a doom and gloom band, they are funny as. Unfortunately he hasn't aged that well in terms of his relationship with the media nor his musical output...so he comes across as a bit of a toss.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a Smiths fanboy by any means - although I always enjoyed their singles at the time, I had higher priority bands to devote my limited funds to and I only bought up their albums much later, but I must say that to mine ears they sound naff all like Joy Division (and to be fair, Ian Curtis was hardly the stand up guy was he?) and Morrissey was actually an OK kind of chap in their heyday, having a way with good soundbites. Genius lyricist as well, for all their reputation as a doom and gloom band, they are funny as. Unfortunately he hasn't aged that well in terms of his relationship with the media nor his musical output...so he comes across as a bit of a toss.

He's undoubtedly a total wankbag, but I think the music more than stands up. Agree about his lyrics as well. Genius at times.

It's funny how a lot of their singles aren't on albums. Louder Than Bombs fills in the blanks nicely though :)

• Upvote 1

He's undoubtedly a total wankbag, but I think the music more than stands up. Agree about his lyrics as well. Genius at times.

It's funny how a lot of their singles aren't on albums. Louder Than Bombs fills in the blanks nicely though :)

For years the only album I owned by them was the live one, 'Rank', it's still one of my favourite live albums, some of the versions of the songs are amazingly heavy and meaty.

Johnny Marr is indeed a top guitar man, making the comparisons to Joy Division even more ridiculous given that Bernard Sumner's playing was pretty basic. Ace in it's own way but not exactly showy. The Smiths were a pretty tight unit all round to be honest.

But pretty much if you dislike Morrissey's vocal style and him as a person, you are never going to be swayed on them...

Marr is a personal hero of mine. I much prefer his post-smiths output than Morrissey's. However I'd take a Morrissey album over the Cribs one Marr worked on any day.

that album was shite. also, i know he's a "legend" and shit, but he didn't suit being in that band. they looked like they were in a band with their da.