aberdeen-music

Confessions

ca_gere

I've swagged free grub from the Illicit Still too. Half way through eating our food, folk just poured in through the doors. It was the day Scotland played a game of eggchase down at Pittodrie. It had just finished, so they'd all come in to the Illicit Still to watch more RUGGA and go "weeeeeeey!" everytime England dropped the ball. We finished up, and I went up to try and pay the bill. I couldn't get anywhere near the bar. The place was just heaving, and that pub really isn't laid out for large groups of people watching sports, so no idea why the picked the most impractical pub for doing so, when there's Weatherspoons just round the corner. There was nobody behind the bar that I could see, and I was behind about 3 rows of rugby fans who were all chanting about how they totally hate England, or something. After a few minutes of trying to give someone some money for the food I just ate, I got fed up of not being able to find an actual member of staff and walked out. I don't feel that bad, because the starters never actually turned up, and one of the mains was wrong, and the other was cold. I've not eaten there since. Not out of guilt, but because it was shit the first time.

My story was in the Illicit Still too. That's me you and Dubya. Somehow after this I don't think we'll be having the aberdeen-music Christmas Party in there this year.

• Upvote 1

On the topic of running without paying....

There was once occasion where I was with a friend and we'd been drinking in a group but most all the others had left so we were just having a final beer before calling it an early night. We bought a can each and sat out in a square. A short while later a drunk aussie girl came up to us and was snapping photos after some chat we went to join her and her friend.

They were classy enough to actually be sat at a table buying drinks from a bar not just sitting on a step as we had been. They had a bottle of wine so we ordered another to share but before too long one of the girls was so pished that her more sober friend decided they had to leave straight away. So the girls left us 50 euros to make sure their bill was covered. We didn't know what they had had before we got there but we were sure that 50 would be more than enough and were quite smug about probably making a cheeky wee profit out of it.

I then went into the bar to use the toilet and as I was returning to the terrace I was able to have a brief conversation with my friend (without breaking stride) to discover that the bill was 64 euros and we didn't fancy paying it so I just kept on walking. My mate got up, mocked a phone call then walked over to me. Then we sprinted round the corner and away. In my head we were running like Bertie Wooster waving the 50 note above our heads shouting weeeeyheeeey.

We then proceeded to a 1 euro a beer bar and got more smashed before heading a short distance to a flat party, by taxi of course why not be luxurious.

I partly felt guilty the next day but part of me really appreciated my good financial state after a big night.

• Upvote 3

I remember going in the Illicit Still once with mates and they were doing a Guinness promotion, everyone got a card which they could exchange for two free pints of Guinness. There was about 10 of us and I was the only Guinness drinker so everyone gave me their cards. Man alive did I ever get drunk that night, and didn't spend a penny.

• Upvote 2

2 free pints? What did you have to buy/do to get the card in the first place? That's a mental promotion.
I've seen a lot of places do a free pint or two during international games. However, it's usually with the condition "if Scotland win." So I've never gotten my free pint :(
  • Upvote 1

Scotland weren't even at that World Cup. Don't think there was any stipulation to it. They were just giving away free pints of Guinness. They were official-looking Guinness cards, so I presume it was Guinness who were doing the promotion rather than the Illicit Still themselves.

If it was that long ago, it'd've been part of the huge drive from Guinness to get people trying it. For a long time it had a reputation as being a drink for alcoholics and old fucks (outside of Ireland, anyway), rather than the trendy, man-about-town image it has nowadays. The PR folks at Guinness did a fucking cracker of a job making the stuff popular!

xx

If it was that long ago, it'd've been part of the huge drive from Guinness to get people trying it. For a long time it had a reputation as being a drink for alcoholics and old fucks (outside of Ireland, anyway), rather than the trendy, man-about-town image it has nowadays. The PR folks at Guinness did a fucking cracker of a job making the stuff popular!

xx

Aye. At the time I was registered in the Guinness Drinkers Club or whatever they called it. They were always sending me tons of free shit. Hats, t-shirts, inflatable pints etc.