aberdeen-music

2010/2011 Season Thread

framheim

Shifting the focus of the thread slightly, sorry.

Has anyone else noticed how much better the Man City official website is than any other team? It's things like this that show how much the people in charge of the club know how to run a business. I mean fans jizz over behind the scenes videos like this Behind the scenes footage from the tunnel area at Manchester City v Spurs - Manchester City FC

Between this, their USA tours, non-profit ventures and now the champions league qualification it's fascinating to see a business develop on the scale this club has.

This is brilliant.

Pep Guardiola's Barcelona are better than Johan Cruyff's Dream Team | Sid Lowe | Football | guardian.co.uk

The whole article is excellent but specifically I mean what is talked about in the first couple of paragraphs.

Whilst I remember...

How easy is it for someone who lives in Spain to get tickets for a Spain national game? The Spanish FA have just announced their Oct 11th tie with Scotland will be in Alicante, which i'd luckily booked flights to and accommodation for 8 months ago! Looks like we'll only get 1,500-3,000 Scotland tickets though which is a bummer for myself and the missus.

I reckon though, that as Spain will have qualified already by then, public interest will be reduced. So I should mange to get a pair of home tickets somehow...

Has anyone else noticed how much better the Man City official website is than any other team? It's things like this that show how much the people in charge of the club know how to run a business. I mean fans jizz over behind the scenes videos like this Behind the scenes footage from the tunnel area at Manchester City v Spurs - Manchester City FC

Between this, their USA tours, non-profit ventures and now the champions league qualification it's fascinating to see a business develop on the scale this club has.

Surprisingly compelling to watch!

Whilst I remember...

How easy is it for someone who lives in Spain to get tickets for a Spain national game? The Spanish FA have just announced their Oct 11th tie with Scotland will be in Alicante, which i'd luckily booked flights to and accommodation for 8 months ago! Looks like we'll only get 1,500-3,000 Scotland tickets though which is a bummer for myself and the missus.

I reckon though, that as Spain will have qualified already by then, public interest will be reduced. So I should mange to get a pair of home tickets somehow...

The honest answer is I don't really know. There hasn't been a National game held in Barcelona since I've lived here (it's very rare that they happen here) so I've never looked into myself.

My best guess would be that it wouldn't be that difficult for a game like this to get tickets. Although I don't how big the stadium is or when the last time they played in Alicante was which would both have an affect.

Regarding a point raised above. I'd definitely say there is a significant amount of Support of Man U in Aberdeen. Much more than for any other English team. And Ferguson is one of the reasons for that. I know loads of United fans in Aberdeen and most of their fathers are united fans too.

It's very easy for a club to do so when they've had an astronomical cash injection though, in the way that they can be careless if a venture does lose them money. Despite the amount of money they have pumped into Manchester City (transfers, wages, developments etc) which probably nears around 1billion, the Monsours, as an estate, still didn't lose money over the past 2 or 3 years, making a stinking profit in all the other guff that they do. The rapid growth is remarkable, but it's difficult to fully respect and admire what they do, when they've got money to burn all day long.

And I just plain don't like them. :popcorn:

Interesting but not surprising. Not sure who the captain will be next season now. Perhaps Milsom? Maybe Foster but I can't see that going down well with certain fans. Most likely a new transfer will be made captain. What does everyone else think?

Overall, it's good news about Hartley. He had a few great games, but was ultimately disappointing, his proneness to injury and his dwindling pace being his undoing. I expect he'll be the top wage-earner at the club by some distance...cash which could be put to good use.

The biggest problem about his leaving is the lack of an obvious captain to replace him. None of the current crop appeal.....perhaps Milsom at a push, but Foster would be an awful decision. IMO, it will be one of our summer acquisitions that gets the job.

Agree with Hugh. Foster would have no qualms about shouting at his teammates, but i don't think he's captain material. Milsom has the attitude, but seems to lack the shouting qualities, so it has to be a new signing. (Although I'd have no problems with Jack, Fyvie or even Grimmer getting it, in a Martin Buchan move).

Of the current squaaaaad, it has to be Tricky Foster. He is the only one with anything approaching professionalism and leadership qualities.

Hartley was a good signing and my third choice for PoTY, behind Bebo and Vernon. Good luck to him in the future.

Guest Gladstone
Of the current squaaaaad, it has to be Tricky Foster. He is the only one with anything approaching professionalism and leadership qualities.

Hartley was a good signing and my third choice for PoTY, behind Bebo and Vernon. Good luck to him in the future.

Is Foster definitely back at Pittodrie after the summer?

Will he get much flak for playing for those nice fellows over at Rangers this season?

He must be the guy with most experience now at the Dons what with getting exposed to CL football this year and playing in a side which could clinch the championship this weekend?

I've never really liked Hartley to be honest - not since his Hearts days. Good player in his day and was a good signing for the Dons - didn't quite work out. Started brilliantly, but injury totally scuppered it. Him and Barry Robson were the driving force behind Celtic's 3rd title in a row in 2007/08 as well, which is obviously magic from a Celtic point of view. Just always thought he was a bit of a cock - ever since Hearts Scottish Cup Final win against Gretna.

Yeah PH has certainly been on the receiving end of my verbals in his Hearts and Celtic days, but he was good for the Dons. We have missed him hugely since this latest injury took hold; the team has looked utterly direction-less.

Foster won't be sold for less than 500k (I suspect closer to one mega). He has ttwo full years left on his deal, and is probably on the fringes of the Scotland squaaaad now. We will get about 500k for Bebo and Aluko this summer, so we won't need to cash in on Foster. I think that most fans recognise that the move to Rangers was a bizarre bit of business, but hardly his fault. I for one will welcome back the best full-back that we have, and the obvious pick for the armband.

Guest Gladstone
Yeah PH has certainly been on the receiving end of my verbals in his Hearts and Celtic days, but he was good for the Dons. We have missed him hugely since this latest injury took hold; the team has looked utterly direction-less.

Foster won't be sold for less than 500k (I suspect closer to one mega). He has ttwo full years left on his deal, and is probably on the fringes of the Scotland squaaaad now. We will get about 500k for Bebo and Aluko this summer, so we won't need to cash in on Foster. I think that most fans recognise that the move to Rangers was a bizarre bit of business, but hardly his fault. I for one will welcome back the best full-back that we have, and the obvious pick for the armband.

What's your centre-half situation going to be like? I've heard that Diamond is more than likely leaving as well? Any chance of Foster playing in the middle? Or... bring back Severin... o_O

Sell you Mulgrew for 10 million ;)

Is Foster definitely back at Pittodrie after the summer?

Yeah.

Will he get much flak for playing for those nice fellows over at Rangers this season?

Probably from twattish Dons fans who can't see the bigger pictures.

He must be the guy with most experience now at the Dons what with getting exposed to CL football this year and playing in a side which could clinch the championship this weekend?

Correct, hence why I think he's a good shout for captain. He will have learned a lot from players like Weir at Rangers.

I've never really liked Hartley to be honest - not since his Hearts days. Good player in his day and was a good signing for the Dons - didn't quite work out. Started brilliantly, but injury totally scuppered it. Him and Barry Robson were the driving force behind Celtic's 3rd title in a row in 2007/08 as well, which is obviously magic from a Celtic point of view. Just always thought he was a bit of a cock - ever since Hearts Scottish Cup Final win against Gretna.

That swipe at the Gretna player? Hated him too.

Welcomed him into the flock though, I know for a fact he's done a lot of good things at Pittodrie behind the scenes, his experience has been valuable this year for sure. I dread to imagine what might have happened had we not had that influence.

Guest Gladstone
Another reason to hate football - the FA Cup final is tomorrow.

And there are 4 Premier League games kicking off at 12:45.

I've got a wedding the morn, so I'll miss all of it. I'm going round to the groom's house tonight. I'm going to kick him in the balls for the poor organisation.

What's your centre-half situation going to be like? I've heard that Diamond is more than likely leaving as well? Any chance of Foster playing in the middle? Or... bring back Severin... o_O

Sell you Mulgrew for 10 million ;)

We'll have McArdle and Considine. Definitely need an experienced head to play alongside one of them (AC my preference).

Guest Gladstone

That swipe at the Gretna player? Hated him too.

Welcomed him into the flock though, I know for a fact he's done a lot of good things at Pittodrie behind the scenes, his experience has been valuable this year for sure. I dread to imagine what might have happened had we not had that influence.

Exactly. It was the swipe at the player, the reaction afterwards, the posturing after winning the cup despite having just behaved like a complete and utter mink. I don't know - just one of these players I've never taken a shone to, even when he was at Celtic, I just thought he was a complete mink. He did a good job for us, so no complaints in that respect, but I could never imagine being able to put up with him face to face for more than about 30 seconds without wanting to pull his beard really hard. I wouldn't though because I imagine he'd actually be quite a hardy cunt. I'd aim for his knees if I got into a fight with him though.